Am I a nasty person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Malaika

If I were to say that what you think about overweight people is a completely reasonable thing to say, I'd be doing you an injustice.

I do think that in the majority of cases, very very overweight people are people who are not very happy with their lives for one reason or another. You show me a size 24 woman (or man) who says she really loves herself and the way she looks and is completely at ease with her life, a woman for whom nothing is going, or has ever gone, wrong, and I'll show you a liar. Or at the very least, someone who is kidding themselves.

For most overweight people, the weight is a crux on which to hold their burdens, but at the same time adds to them. I was one of those grossy overweight people who you'd probably have liked to shake on the street as you walked on by. At 23 stone and a size 28 standing at just five foot four high, you couldn't exactly miss me. At the time I used to shrug off my weight, tell myself I was happy in my own company and didn't really care what other people thought, when of course I did care, and I was envious of all the pretty girls in their size 10 summer dresses and went home and cried every time someone shouted out abuse at me on the street.

My weight loss thus far has taken somewhere in the region of 3-plus years and it has been a hard hard process, not least because for a long long time, my main hobby and passion in life was eating, because I didn't have much else to live for. If I tell you that my weight issues stemmed from having an overweight father and mother, and that we lost my mother to cancer at age 11, which was just the first in a massive array of funerals I attended yearly from the age of 11 until around the age of 18 you may just see that someone who's overweight may have other things on their mind than how big they're getting and how dangerous it is. I by no means use these issues as an excuse as to why I ate, merely as the catalysts for it. If you saw me on the street at size 28 after hearing this, would you still want to shake me?

Food is a legal drug, and just like alcohol it can be misused. Alcohol will just kill you quicker. To put it into perspective for you, when I've lost all the weight I want to lose, I'll have lost more than you weighed at your maximum weight stated in your profile.

Now, I am 14 and a half stone, around Fern's starting weight. 9 stone later and I'm still a size 16 and I still have a long way to go. For you to say what you have done here today and for others on this board to tell you that you're not being nasty I think is extremely tolerant of them and I think you have been very lucky to not come away with a more harsh response from a lot of people as I don't think what you've said here today is pleasant in any way shape or form, although I have met naturally thin people who also feel this way and can understand why you think it, because to be so grossly overweight is an alien concept to you.

However, we are all different. I watch that Supersize v Superskinny because in those large people, I see me. I see me and feel proud of how far I've come and how good it will be for them now that they've taken a step towards being a healthier person. Dieting, or eating healthily in this manner on a show such as this is akin to Food Rehab. Would you want to shake a drug user who may be on their way from rehab or an alcoholic who's possibly on their way to an alcoholic's anonymous meeting? Then why, WHY would you want to grab and shake an overweight person and preach to them about how they should lose weight?

People who think this way should take a long hard look at themselves and consider the fact that not everyone is the same, people are different, and an overweight person really must WANT to do something about their weight, just as a drug user must really want to quit and an alcoholic must really want to get sober. Tolerance is a wonderful thing.

Here endeth my two bits.

Vixxster, a fantastic post, beautifully articulated and an awesome achievement, you should be extremely proud x

Last edited:
I do agree that to say youd like to say something to or shake someone whos very overweight is harsh. Ive battled unsuccessfully with my weight most of my adult life and yes its appaling I let myself get this big BUT Im now doing something about it.

On the outside yes Im still very overweight and probably the very type of person youd like to shake but the danger of that thinking is you firstly dont know WHY a person got to the size they are but you also dont know what size they were last year and that perhaps although theyre still very overweight theyre actually winning the fight and gaining more self confidence every day. That overweight person you see might be walking along with a spring in their step happy because theyve just had a wi and lost 4lbs :)

Id be absolutely devastated if some 'well meaning' stranger commented on my weight :( whatever their motive

Last edited:
Starlight, I would never say anything to a stranger about their weight, as much as I would like to.
It is very tempting though when I see really large people stuffing themselves on junk food. They can't possibly be trying to do anything about it can they?

Vixxter, I would never want to shake a drug addict or alcoholic if I KNEW they were trying to do something about it.
Same with overweight people. I can truly say that so many can't be bothered, judging what I see... anyway, I should just not worry. It's their lives. I made my choice, and they must make theirs!

Once again, I apologise if I upset anyone. That was NOT my intention.

It is very tempting though when I see really large people stuffing themselves on junk food. They can't possibly be trying to do anything about it can they?

But maybe they are? Thats the thing, you dont know! I sometimes go to McDonalds or KFC with my niece. I sit with her and tuck into chicken nuggets/chicken strips or maybe a burger and some fries and have a diet coke.

Im sure some people possibly come in and see a fat woman sitting eating junk food and think 'Yeah well we know why youre that size'

In actual fact my junk food meal is all pointed and factored into my daily points allowance, so in actual fact those nuggets and fries are part of my successful weight loss journey.

You cant always be sure what youre 'seeing' is actually what you think it is.

To be honest whether they are trying to do something about it or not doesn't really matter and is nobodies business but theirs. We do not have the right to judge others when we know nothing about them and certainly not for something like their dress size.

Anorexia is a mental illness. Obesity, alone, is not.

Both are physiological too though. Hormones, genetics etc, though the 'cure' relies on mental application, since they are only scratching the surface of the genetic/hormone links.

Until you've walked a mile in someone elses shoes I think it is difficult to cast judgement.

Yep. And I think that when you put those shoes on you get that lightbulb moment
Misc96.gif
. Everything clicks into place and you go "ahhhh, I see how it happens now"

How do you know that? How do you know, that they don't have a medical condition? How do you know that they haven't just lost their husband/wife/mother/father/son/daughter and its the first thing they have eaten in a week? How do you know anything about these people? Truth is you are assuming you do and theres a saying that goes with that!

I have been on both sides of the spectrum, so feel I am experience enough to comment, food to some, is like what drugs/alcohol/betting is to others, its a vice, an addiction, a way of coping, there are people who cannot control the way they are with food. I used to not eat, if I did I would vomit straight away, now I am the other way, I use food as a comfort, its pretty much the only thing I can control in my life, yes I have a deep rooted problem with food, not through choice. Obesity and Anorexia are both eating disorders, they need addressing properly and equally, overweight people need helping not lecturing and its about time the NHS did something positive to help people, if we were smokers/alchies we would get the help we needed. In some ways with food, its extremely difficult as its something that you can't avoid, we all need it to survive unlike smoking/drugs or alchohol.

Will get off my soap box now, I do kind of understand what you are saying, but its not that easy and unless you know peoples back grounds, you should never make random judgements.

Starlight, I would never say anything to a stranger about their weight, as much as I would like to.

Vixxter, I would never want to shake a drug addict or alcoholic if I KNEW they were trying to do something about it.
Same with overweight people. I can truly say that so many can't be bothered, judging what I see... anyway, I should just not worry. It's their lives. I made my choice, and they must make theirs!

Once again, I apologise if I upset anyone. That was NOT my intention.

if this is your attitude then it was probably a waste of time trying to give you the other side of the equation. Frankly, I think you should be ashamed of yourself for saying what you just have done. You truly see that many people just can't be bothered?! You don't know those people. How dare you.

You may not have meant to cause offence, but you did. Maybe you should think about that instead of thinking so badly about people you don't know.

Wow what a very interesting thread. I agree with a bit of what everyone is saying.

I have a very quick story... i lost 4 stone about 3 years ago felt amazing went on holidays and met these two very overweight women... got chatting and told them I lost 4 stone on cambridge that its amazing and almost told them to do it...... cue next years holiday... I had put all the weight back on plus some and met these two ladies again... my god did I dodge them out of sheer embarrassment that I had put the weight back on but also the fecking cheek of me to tell them how to do anything with their own lives.

I think its very easy to be angelic like when a plan is going well for you and you can only see the good in it. It means that your head is relatively clear for you to do this. Sometimes life isn't that easy and its then the hard part of either starting or sticking to a plan of weight loss is the hardest.

I can't say I am one side or the other of this argument but I do believe ya have to walk in the shoes before you can see someones life. I don't think society helps the way overweight people are viewed so it just trickles down through the rest of us that we should be a certain size/weight etc.

Ok I think I've made my point lol

Good thread though!!

I think that the wanting to shake fat people wasn't the worst comment TBH but the being 'repulsed' as you say by the fat person I found most offensive. That means that if you'd met me at my heaviest you would have been repulsed.
You are fully entitled to feel this way I guess, but if I had read this a couple of years ago it would have really upset me.
As it is I think you were ill advised to post it and will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean it to come across as nastily as it did. Although I'm sure you won't really understand why the comments were upsetting because you have sat in judgement and formed a strong and biased opinion.

Last edited:
I was going to ignore this thread, have been trying for days but it's in my head arghhhh! If I'd posted straight away it would have been nasty as I was very angry.

Whether or not we approve of someone's weight needs to be firmly kept to ourselves. I am one of those people you'd find repulsive and you know what go ahead, it wouldn't be the first time, nor would it be very different to the way I feel about myself but don't you think as normal nice human being's it's the last thing we should be doing judging people by their very obvious problems and be disgusted that they may be losing their battle with their weight.

Understandably people look at me and other fat people like me, just as they might at someone incredibly short or someone with no arms. Unfortunately as a rare sight it's sort of understandable that people might be shocked enough to look, they will probably judge and form opinions which could be completely wrong. I can't stop them doing that as even if I hung a sign round my neck saying 'On a diet' I'm not sure it would make a difference to the way some people thought about me. I didn't expect to find the same thing on minimins though....

None of us know the full details of anyone else and we never will. Until we have lived someone elses life we can not nor should not pass judgment on them. That person you find so replusive may be battling all sorts of horrendous things and their weight is only part of the picture. Perhaps they have already lost a huge amount of weight, perhaps they have only recently found the strength to do something about it. We don't know! It's easy to sit in judgement of other people, I'm sure we all do it from time to time and then have to catch ourselves and remind ourselves we wouldn't like to be judged but if and when I find that I've had nasty thoughts about another person I feel more repulsed at myself for being so shallow, not whatever made me think it in the first place. I don't need to tell other people to guage if that makes me a nasty person or not...

If you find yourself repulsed by something you see on TV then don't watch it. I find it pretty repulsive reading things written by now thin people who should know better, there I did the same thing and know that was nasty.:p

The first post may have been posted without thinking about the consequences. The second one just shows you for the person you really are. Someone who has never been overweight. Who hasn't got a clue what a weight problem is. Who obviously lost it fairly easily on a plan that only works for some. Who dare come on a weightloss forum, obviously dominated by those who have weight problems and weight to lose, and make judgements about those on it. Unbelievable!!

Lynda

I am sorry, but I ahve caught up with this thread and am really really amazed by the cavalier attitude of someone who has read how these problems really start and continue. It is the wrong forum to voice these attitudes. They are plentiful enough in this society without them being voiced on a forum for those trying to address these issues. Not everyone succeeds first time.

Lynda

Firstly, I read this thread when it was originally posted. I read it and I thought about it and I didn't post. I have just read your follow up comments where you apologise if you have offended anybody and then follow those apologies with more offensive comments.

This is a site for people with weight problems so I really do think you chose the wrong place to post your little rant.

You say you wouldn't actually say something, especially not if you knew they were trying to help themselves. Well how would you know, and what right do you have to invade on somebodies personal life like that?

I am 22. I weigh more than my age. If you saw me for the first time walking down the street you wouldn't know that I have already lost just under 3 stone. You would just see a fat person. If you saw me in a KFC eating chips and chicken, I must obviously not care? How do you know that isn't somebodies weekly treat and they are on slimming world and are deducting from their weekly sins? How do you know that an overweight person doesn't have psychological difficulties with their relationship to food. I spent years being unable to eat in front of people for fear they would think I was eating too much. I spent years caring too much about what people like yourself thought of me. I spent years knowing how hard the world was outside of my little room and so I used food as a comfort. I haven't always been 'fat' and I won't always be 'fat' but even if I am, why should it matter to you? What gives you the right to turn your nose up at someone like that. Surely as someone who has been overweight themselves you shouldn't be judging other people but you should be understanding them.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this next part, to be fair, if I do I do. This is a picture of me when I first started Slimming World. It might make you feel sick. If it does then I apologise, but that fat, repulsive mess you see right there has saved my life on more than one occasion. Yet when you look at that photo you probably won't see past the fat. You won't see the person I am with in, the person that I strive to be. You won't see what catalysts as Vixx so eloquently put it have survived through and come through.

So yes I may not like the fact I am overweight, but I'm bloody proud of the fact I am doing something about it not because it will stop people being repulsed by me, but because I want to do it for me.

Attachments

• SDC10254.jpg
    SDC10254.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 94
I would just like to add in Malaika's defence here that since I have been on this site I have seen her be very supportive on lots of occasions and this is evident in her Rep Power - I don't think she was ranting at all but merely expressing an opinion which has clearly touched a nerve with a number of people.
But surely this is a forum where we can express an opinion and we can't expect everyone to agree with everything we say.

I say well done to all of us who are doing something about our weight and it can be a really sensitive subject - you only need to look at the thread about fat comments to see that.

Clearly there are a lot of people who disagree with Malaika and also make some good and heartfelt posts but let's have some balance with all the good things she has said too.

I'm sure I should let this drop now Debs, and I agree that Malaika is an active and usually helpful member of the board, but I believe also that on this occasion, what she has posted throughout the thread is indefensible.
If this thread was about disabled people, or if it was race related, no one would accept it. In my opinion it's no more acceptable because it's about overweight people.
I'm sure this will all blow over eventually, but it's difficult to fathom why someone thought it was ok to come on here for support to insult and discriminate against overweight people.

A nasty person, no.. judgemental and ignorant.. yes. If you have truly struggled with your weight and food issues then how can you say something like that?

It saddens me to see how long this thread is going on for....someone said something without really thinking of the consequences and everyone has said what they have had to say, quite validly. I do feel it is getting a bit much now, IMHO.

Let it blow over :D xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back