Am I not eating enough?

ColJack

Gold Member
First off I'm not strictly a calorie counter since I'm on slinking world but since my losses have slowed down I started using my fitness pal app on the iPod. ( user name ColJack if you want to add me and see. )
I'm averaging about 1500 calories a day but I've calculated my BMR as about 3000 without exercise.

Am I eating enough or am I creating too big a deficit?

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Someone else will probably know more than me as I'm still a bit unsure but I believe that as long as you eat a net of 1200 your ok. If your still losing and are eating mire on work out days I think your ok? Not sure what the lower limit is for men tho. MFP is great isn't it? I'll add you on!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh an MFP will tell you off if your too low! Just make sure your detail are all correct in ur profile!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I would advise just eating every 2-3 hours throughout the day.

I have 6 small meals or 4 small meals and two snacks and stick to 1400 a day.

It dosent give your metabolism time to slow down.

I also have one day off a week - I find my losses are better when I have a day off. This dosent mean however have a mass amount of calories just within your daily allowance roughly 2000 for women 2500 for men.

:D

How are you finding the comparison of the two ColJack? I follwed SW to the letter for over three years, and 'only' lost 3.5 stone, but as I've hugely upped my exercise, half a stone crept back on over a six month period. This led me to looking at calories for the first time ever - and being shocked at what I saw! 1000s too many on 'lazy' days, and 100s/1000s to low on active days! Quite an eye opener! I know I'll probably go back to SW, but CC has really got my losses going again, thankfully!

First off I'm not strictly a calorie counter since I'm on slinking world but since my losses have slowed down I started using my fitness pal app on the iPod. ( user name ColJack if you want to add me and see. )
I'm averaging about 1500 calories a day but I've calculated my BMR as about 3000 without exercise.

Am I eating enough or am I creating too big a deficit?

In a word, yes. You are creating far too large a deficit. 1500 is the minimum for men, and you'll be grinding your metabolism to a halt. Eat as many calories as MFP tells you to, it (mostly) knows best :)

I'm eating enough to satiate me and it's still not reaching the MFP limit.
Does that mean I need more "naughty"stuff to make up the balance. ? :D

I'm still on SW but using MFP as a handy place to keep track of what I eat and was quite shocked that I was only having 1400 cals some days.
I've lost 8st 4lbs on SW since I started in first week of September so it's working for me, just slowed down a good bit since february.

Biggest Loser constants would have between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. Well the men would. So as long as you are in that range that should be enough I guess.

In a word, yes. You are creating far too large a deficit. 1500 is the minimum for men, and you'll be grinding your metabolism to a halt. Eat as many calories as MFP tells you to, it (mostly) knows best :)

That's handy to know thanks. I was wondering if the 1200 value I keep seeing was for ladies. I'm aiming to lose 1lb per week and MFP says I should be aiming for 1680 per day (6ft1,29, 158lb,desk job, male). I didn't think I could go much lower than 1400 without being too hungry.

So yeah ColJack, I personally think that you're aiming a bit too low at 1500. And unless you've got discipline of STEEL, upping your cals will probably help you stick with calorie counting long-term.

All the best! :)

I'm not calorie counting really, doing SW but using a food diary that happens to have the calories on it.

I don't "aim" for any specific limit and do occasionally have up to 2200 calories ( my BMR is about 3000 and the MFP app says about 2300 is my limit to lose 2lbs a week based on my age, height, weight and activity level ), but an "average" day is closer to the 1500 mark.

I'm not calorie counting really, doing SW but using a food diary that happens to have the calories on it.

I don't "aim" for any specific limit and do occasionally have up to 2200 calories ( my BMR is about 3000 and the MFP app says about 2300 is my limit to lose 2lbs a week based on my age, height, weight and activity level ), but an "average" day is closer to the 1500 mark.

That is one advantage of being a lot taller - you can eat a lot more (almost triple what I could eat!) and still lose weight. On the other hand though, your body will use up more energy, so you'll get hungrier quicker, so I suppose it all levels out in the end.

My friend was saying to me the other day how she's so "fat" compared to her boyfriend, even though they eat exactly the same. I didn't want to be a horrible person and point out that maybe that was her problem - a 5'1 woman can't eat the same as a 6'2 21 year old muscular rugby player with a lightening speed metabolism! It's funnier how our bodies work in different ways. You can see it at the gym too. People beside me can be burning 300-400 calories in a 20 minute interval on the cross trainer (compared to my measly 120 calories) even though we're doing the same effort level for the same length of time. And it's all down to me being a small fry height wise so I don't burn as much energy when carrying out exercise.

Oh dear, I'm on a ramble... I really shouldn't come on the internet so late at night :D

Biggest Loser constants would have between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. Well the men would. So as long as you are in that range that should be enough I guess.

I wouldn't advise following a diet based on a show is to lose weight as fast as possible to win a prize XD They consume the absolute minimum and burn most of it off O_O

Back