Am i the only one who finds having 1/3 superfree hard?!

Lmg_

I'm in my second week back on SW. Third time lucky! I'm finding it really hard to get my 1/3 plate superfree foods. I'm NOT a salad person at all,
I hate it & physically hate eating it lol. I try & add my superfree in the food for example if I'm cookin spag bol ill load it up with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes etc then follow with a piece of fruit. Do you think this equals out to the same as having 1/3 of my plate superfree?x

There have been a few threads on this before so have a quick search.

Personally I hate salad too and since starting slimming world in October 2011 I havent had a salad once.

I either mix my 1/3 into the meal as part of the sauce, have a smaller portion of my main and have fruit after or eat my meal with vegetables which I absolutely love.

My consultant once told us you can look at eating your 1/3 superfree over the course of the day. So if for instance you eat loads of fruit throughout the day as snacks but then only have a little broccoli on your plate then this is still okay. I sometimes have loads of fruit before a meal and find myself only wanting either free or syned food for my main (this is very rare though).

Of course the whole point of superfree is that these will fill you up without having many calories, making you eat less of the other stuff on your plate.
I think you adding loads of superfree to your sauces etc is perfect for you so keep doing it :)

x

I only add veg through my food as not a fan on its own and then have a piece of fruit after x

There is no point in eating something you don't like. Having said that, you can make a salad with anything. It doesn't have to be the traditional salad ingredients - lettuce, cucumber, etc.

I have just come back from having dinner with a friend, and she made a salad of grilled peppers and roasted butternut squash with just a drizzle of a dressing flavoured with fresh ginger - it was wonderful.

I have been eating mostly roasted veg with fry light and spices as my superfree yummy x

When I first started sw I found it really strange having veg or salad with everything I ate, but nearly six months in my attitude has completely changed and now I think it's really weird if i don't, for example had spaghetti Bol at a friends the other night and there was no veg on the side, the plate looked strange to me lol, even though I pack sf into the sauce as I have a huge appetite I also have one third of my plate super free so now I'm used to seeing lots of colourful food so not seeing it there is now strange.

anyway, I think the key is trying lots of different veg and salads, I used to think I hated Auvergne and courgettes but I have found a love of these now. Cook them in different ways, doesn't always need to be boiled, can be roasted, dry fried, stir frayed etc, try lots of different things and also keep changing it to keep it interesting. If all else fails then keep doing what your doing, by adding as much as you can to sauces casseroles etc as this in itself will bulk the meal out x

I find making soup with super free and having a bowl as a starter really helps, it helps to fill you up, so your main meal is a bit smaller, adds nutritional content, as well as fitting it into the plan

I do the same in Autumn and Winter but find it much to warm for soup at this time of year, particularly as it has been so hot recently.

Denise

I like cold broccoli soup, my nan used to make it in summer, I remember being so upset one day when she was visiting as the whole lot had leaked in her car! :( I think certain soups would be nice cold, I prefer my meals cold really, nothing better than cold stew, or casserole or a mince mix, I could happily eat them cold all summer! Perhaps try making things on a cooler night, and freeze or refridgerate ready for use. Leftovers make my day :) xx

I only started SW a couple of days ago and didn't realise that having fruit straight after your meal would count as a 1/3 superfree so thats good to know!

I only started SW a couple of days ago and didn't realise that having fruit straight after your meal would count as a 1/3 superfree so thats good to know!

It doesn't count. As someone above said the point of the superfree is to fill you up leaving less room for the other foods. If you have already eaten a whole plate of food, then add fruit on top that's just eating for the sake of eating. If you are still hungry and the fruit fills that gap than fine. Why not have fruit before while you are cooking and leave 1/3 of your plate bare when you dish up? That's what I do if I'm not cooking something that I fancy veg or salad with, although I do put lots of veg into my sauces etc.

The book says you do not need to have 1/3 superfree but u will prob loose slower. My consultant says you can have a meal followed by fruit and it counts. Two consultants have told me this! Ite one of these things that seems to be open to so much interpretation :s very confusing x

Jst answered something similar in another thread. I struggled wi my super free but my C said as long as getting at least ur 5 a day. I find this much easier now :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I like you think some meals are strange for example my favourite all time meal is sausage beans and chips and any superstores would just spoil it.

But I do try to have them with most meals. If I don't and I'm hungry I'll have fruit. If I'm not hungry I won't eat for the sack of eating.

I'm not fond of salad but I'm experimenting with it and learning to like it and last week the nicest meal I had was a ham salad with buttery New potatoes (1/2tsp 1 syn) with feta cheese on the salad. Yum yum

A spellchecker moment!! Superstores??? But we know what you mean.

If I were to have the meal you describe (not that I ever would, as I loathe baked beans!) I would have my vegetables first. Maybe some sliced peppers and/or carrot sticks, to eat while the meal is cooking.

I'm naturally a hungry person, and I don't always eat fruit or veg with my meals. Sometimes I incorporate it into my food. Or just snack on it. For lunch sometimes I will have my hexb as crackerbread with some cadburys philly (synned) with fresh homegrown strawberries sliced on top, then a pear to follow that. You could try buying ready made sliced veg- carrot sticks and then make sw houmous to dip, or sugar snap peas. My consultant said as long as you have 1/3rd a day of fruit and veg then thats what's important. I'd hate to Have to add fruit and veg to everything.

Best bet is either incorporating it into meals, or snacking on it instead of going straight for a syn.

I hope that makes sense. Tbh I hate the thought of fruit and veg, packing meals out or snacking is the only way I can really tolerate it. Xx

Back