...and so the backlash begins

Lil K

Addicted to Minimins
Just had to post how I'm feeling today, as this happened last night, and I woke up this morning still bothered by it:

I went to my sister's house last night, and no sooner did I get in there the comments began, 'Oh you don't need to lose much more weight - just a little off your stomach and that's it', 'Don't get going to far', 'You're wasting away', etc..... Then I got 'Mom said you were looking ghastly :)eek:) when she saw you at the weekend' (thanks Mom). Admitted I didn't look my best at the weekend - it was saturday evening, I'd spent the day decorating, my hair was greasy and I had no make-up on, and yes I do get tired in the evenings quicker since starting CD. I was also feeling crappy because the food thoughts were REALLY strong in my mind that day, but I went to sleep and sunday morning I was over it.

I just told my sister that I would continue on this diet until I reach BMI 25, then I would decide if I looked good/needed to lose more/or just tone up - it's my body, my choices!!!

When she kept on I just responded to all the comments with a simple 'OK' or 'Yeah' - my teenage nephew was smiling at this stage, as this is an obvious tactic that he uses when really he's thinking 'Stuff you!!'

I know they love me and they mean well, but they haven't lived with the misery of being overweight for most of their adult lives so they cannot comprehend (a) what I've lived with and (b) what I'm going through now and how good it feels to finally be making a change. I imaging they think it's dangerous - such low calories and such quick weight loss, but surely it's more dangerous to my health to continue to be obese??

For goodness sake I've only lost 16lb so far - at least let me lose some meaningful weight before they start all this nagging!!

Has anyone else experienced this at such an early stage?? How did you deal with it?? (I'm thinking just ignore their comments and carry on, and hubby agrees and say I'm doing great)

Ok rant over!, sorry for the long post but I just had to let off some steam :mad:

Just want to send a hug x

HI Lil-k
yeah i experienced teh same last week when someone close to me told me i look AWFUL! i was really hurt even though i knew logically that its jealousy probably - this particular person is more than ten stone overweight and has never dieted. she says she is happy and she may well be.

i just wanted to say that i think youre right that ignoring the comments and carrying on - doing this for yourself - liking how you look yourself - is the way to go - even though it hurts sometimes .

x

well done for ignoring them! People can be so hurtful and you are right, only people who have been there can really understand what you are going through, thats why sites like this are so vital! Keep it up you are doing brilliantly - keep listening to your hubby!

I think you need to sit them down and EXPLAIN to them the misery of being overweight, the health risks and just how much the success of this journey means to you. You can tell them you understand that they speak out of concern for you but that you are doing something really difficult to vastly improve your life and you need support and encouragement.

Families are blind at times; my Mum had accused me of looking thin in the face at 16st+!

This is your life, your decision, keep at it, you are doing great!

Love

66avort.gif

Just ignore them! You need to do whats right for YOU. I had people telling me not to lose anymore weight but as i felt i needed to i continued. Lucky for me my hubby has always supported me 100%..

Now i've gone back to SSing again to loose my gained holiday weight 9lbs & decided to to set myself as new target weight i know i'm gonna get all that 'you don't need to lose more weight' rubbish, like before i will ignore them & do whats right for me!.....

Remember hun do what is right for YOU, we're always here to give you hugs & support!....xxxx

know how u feel about ppls comments,i have told a few ppl im on ss,and they all have said"but when u start eating you will put it all on,or i know someone who did that and they put it all on"no one not even my hubby is supporting me,he thinks i wont last,so everyone against me has made me more determined to stick to it...just ignore them,i have...
sue

Thanks to everyone for replying to me - your support means a lot because I know you all understand the situation.

Barb - Thanks for your comments, I think I may just sit them down and tell them how it is. Maybe then they'll keep their 'helpful' comments to themselves.

Lilacbunnykins - My hubby was a little sceptical about me and CD as he has watched me start diet after diet over the years, but even he has come round and is impressed by my willpower (and if Im honest, so am I :eek:) and is now totally supportive of what I'm doing. Hopefully the same will happen for you.

Once again, thanks to everyone x

Back