Andy's "to be a thin dad" diary

I've totally given up on diets and started what I hope and intend to be as a lifestyle change. I know from experience, the whenever I have come off a diet, I have come off hard (except this time and the first time I ended the vlcd). I am eating anywhere between 1300 and 1600 a day, but working my up to 1800. In time I intend weight loss to be a side effect of being healthy.

SerenityValley said:
I've totally given up on diets and started what I hope and intend to be as a lifestyle change. I know from experience, the whenever I have come off a diet, I have come off hard (except this time and the first time I ended the vlcd). I am eating anywhere between 1300 and 1600 a day, but working my up to 1800. In time I intend weight loss to be a side effect of being healthy.

Well done, I was curious as after I finish the packs I have I will have to think of something else.. It's time I started adding in exercise as well..

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

biggusburdus said:
Well done, I was curious as after I finish the packs I have I will have to think of something else.. It's time I started adding in exercise as well..

I think the big thing once a lot of weight has been lost on a vlcd, is to use it as an opportunity to change our old patterns. I found after the first time, that all my tastes had been reset. I hated all veg and salad before but when I finished I loved all veg and could tolerate salad. This time, I'm enjoying salad.

I've been trying to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week but only managed once a week (I've ended up probably doing too much on the first visit).

You thinking of stopping the packs soon? I can't remember how long you've been on but first time round, I was on for 7 months. Was scary coming off them. Good luck and thanks :)

SerenityValley said:
I think the big thing once a lot of weight has been lost on a vlcd, is to use it as an opportunity to change our old patterns. I found after the first time, that all my tastes had been reset. I hated all veg and salad before but when I finished I loved all veg and could tolerate salad. This time, I'm enjoying salad.

I've been trying to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week but only managed once a week (I've ended up probably doing too much on the first visit).

You thinking of stopping the packs soon? I can't remember how long you've been on but first time round, I was on for 7 months. Was scary coming off them. Good luck and thanks :)

I have been on it since end of march, 3 weeks off for holidays and the odd party night so about 7 months..
Didn't think I would last a week on this!
I think the last stone I would like to lose will be an absolute challenge on this diet as it doesn't seem to want to shift. I have stopped on 11 and can't seem to go below.
I now need to tone up, have set up a gym upstairs and bought a swim suit, need to start using them! Lol..

I always enjoyed veg it was the junk that held the most addiction to me! I love junk food and I can see where I went wrong.
I will be stopping roughly end of the month I think, then doing a refeed, then possibly onto judd..
Still not made my mind up!

Good luck when you come off , bb. It helps that you've had breaks, and it's not been just 100% packs. I was terrified of eating at first, and felt so guilty.

I tried not to weigh myself tis morning but failed. I struggle to not weigh myself. The weight has gone down more, though I will not update till Saturday next week.

I am excited at the thought of getting back to the 14's later this year. Maybe even by the start of October. Am definitely feeling better health wise and starting to fit into clothes again!

Also, tmi maybe, but I treated myself to new underwear yesterday. It actually fits as its supposed to, whereas the ones I've been wearing were nowhere near rig. Sme were too small, some were too big, and many were pulled out of shape through having been worn by me at 18st.

SerenityValley said:
Good luck when you come off , bb. It helps that you've had breaks, and it's not been just 100% packs. I was terrified of eating at first, and felt so guilty.

I tried not to weigh myself tis morning but failed. I struggle to not weigh myself. The weight has gone down more, though I will not update till Saturday next week.

I am excited at the thought of getting back to the 14's later this year. Maybe even by the start of October. Am definitely feeling better health wise and starting to fit into clothes again!

Also, tmi maybe, but I treated myself to new underwear yesterday. It actually fits as its supposed to, whereas the ones I've been wearing were nowhere near rig. Sme were too small, some were too big, and many were pulled out of shape through having been worn by me at 18st.

Lol, I do try to stay away from the scales as they can literally make or break my day?

I agree with u on the undies, I have now binned a whole pile of dodgy stuff that was too big and saggy..

I had breaks, did ok with them,but my main worry is my ability to Hoover food? I can be soo good, then I go and do a mindless eating episode and I don't even think it touches the sides! Lol I can even do this with healthy food..

I will do some more research for when I up my cals etc as I only have 14days left of this before I refeed!

Thanks for the info, I will keep looking to see how your doing and pick up hints and tricks from all in this forum!

Lol, I do try to stay away from the scales as they can literally make or break my day?

I agree with u on the undies, I have now binned a whole pile of dodgy stuff that was too big and saggy..

I had breaks, did ok with them,but my main worry is my ability to Hoover food? I can be soo good, then I go and do a mindless eating episode and I don't even think it touches the sides! Lol I can even do this with healthy food..

I will do some more research for when I up my cals etc as I only have 14days left of this before I refeed!

Thanks for the info, I will keep looking to see how your doing and pick up hints and tricks from all in this forum!

I think something important to focus on, is the hoovering food issue. Believe me, I have been there. I am hopeful now that I am past it. Today is day 16 of my lifestyle change and it's now feeling normal. I have my naughty treats (we're sharing a pizza for dinner tonight; but it has 465 calories, and I'm having a side salad with it). Every weekend I have a packet of crisps AND half a bar of chocolate (98 calories in the latter). During the week, I finish the evening with a packet of crisps. I find a way to build it in.

I have some tips that I am working on, which were largely for my benefit but I do like to share these things (I'm going to start a new diary in the diary section).

Tips

1) I am not on a diet. Although I am running a deliberate calorie deficit for the short to medium term, I have internally and externally accepted that I cannot diet anymore. I need to make permanent changes to how I eat.

2) I plan my week ahead at a high level, and my day ahead in detail (in the morning). I know roughly what I want to eat (want is important). I leave room for mistakes/changes, etc.

3) I do not eat anything I do not like. It causes resentment.

4) If I want to snack on something not exactly healthy (e.g. crisps) then I save it till later. I have a 25g pack most nights, late on. It's something to look forward to.

5) I neither load my plate, nor underfill it. If I load it, I will eat it. If I don't take enough I may go for seconds and end up eating more than if I'd overloaded!

6) If it's not worth saving, it's not worth eating. I am not a dustbin, so those left over scrapings should go into an actual bin.

Those are good tips!

Glad you are doing ok, I just need more time on this to finish my packs and then I want to start something like pales or judd..
I am learning from my mistakes as I go amd I just have to get myself into gear and start planning things..

Thanks for the advice.

Time for me to bring this diary back. After a couple of false starts, I am a few hours away from completing my first week back on a vlcd.

I'm doing slim and save with a very minor twist. I have 3 packs, my veg and 100g of protein, and if I stopped there, I'd be a 100% S&Ser. But I have cheese as well, just to have something tasty and ketosis friendly. Brings me to just under 800 calories a day. I have a lot of coke zero

First week has been very easy - with no thoughts of quitting, and I feel comfortable and confident (in the main) that I'll get wherever I am going this time. It's funny how sometimes it can be so hard to start, even when in the right frame of mind. 3 weeks or so ago, I only lasted 2.5 days despite feeling in the right frame of mind, and struggled throughout.

I will try to use the thread more frequently than I have in the past - I have mind dumps to make but often am too busy or have too much to say!

Official weigh ins are a Monday and a sneak peek this morning shows a 12lb loss. Fingers crossed for another half, to ht my normal 1st week loss.

To be honest I'd love to lose 5st, but I'd be happy to lose 3st. I started last Monday at 17st 8lbs, which is the highest I've been this year. My absolute highest in 2008 was 23st 8lbs, and my absolute lowest in 2009 was 12st 6.5lbs.

I'm aiming first for 15st then going to try to chip away a stone at a time and see how it goes. Wife says I can go to between 13.5st and 14st, as she prefers me like that (we met when I was 12 and a half stone, and she quickly helped me up to 14st lol).

Few things to help maintain my motivation over time. I have a list somewhere of about 40 things but I feel that re-reading it is just learning by rote, rather than re-thinking.

Just a few for today.

1) I want to stop feeling exposed when wearing anything tucked in. At work, I cover my shirt with a jumper - and it's likely to get warm/hot soon. Not a good time for that.

2) I used to be really fat, then got thin. People who knew me at both points know I've failed to maintain well enough.

3) People who only knew me when thin, can only see my gain.

4) My son is 6 months old and I want to be sure that I do not show him a bad example as he grows up.

5) I deserve to be slim again, but I need to work hard to do it.

Good to see you back Andy :) sounds like now is the right tome for you to got for it

X

Good to see you back Andy, I remember you when I started in 2008. Sons are the best and added motivation, I want to be ble to run with him and not be put of breath! Looking forward to seeing your weigh in tomorrow x

Thank you ladies!

Total loss for week 1 was 12.8lbs.

Now to get through the first week of lower losses. Really do feel good, and excited for what I could achieve if I keep my eye on the ball.

6) want to be able to walk upstairs without getting out of puff.

Had a really rubbish, stressful day at work. Am massively overworked at the moment. Wife came in with doritos and chocolate :(

Of course, I was good and had none :) I have a little voice in my head that always says "But I want it" and now I have a much louder voice that says "Tough, you can't have it".

Will still be wishing my life away though!

My thought for the day:

Eating something off plan, especially if it knocks you out of ketosis has the potential to cost you everything. I've lost 97lbs so far, and want to lose another 37lbs at least. If I ate something off plan (e.g. chocolate) it could actually cost me the 37lbs I want to lose and many of the 97lbs that have gone. Essentially one "treat" could really be, the end of the world.

Good thought of the day, wish I had read it a few hours ago before I succumbed to my sstressful day of work other the bad stuff :( I now have your mantra in my head though... Good job on the loss, awesome! X

Back