another mother-in-law thread.

fillymum

synful soul
My MIL is quite dippy. I am being polite here. I know she is only being kind BUT !!!

Friday we received notification from the post office .They had a package for me. Paul went to pick it up yesterday.........she had sent it registered post , so he had to come home, I had to sign a form and he had to take my passport................... nothing wrong with that ??? No, nothing until you know that the "package" is a box of 20 of fruit teabags !!!!!! Now any normal person would have put the teabags in an envelope and posted them as an ordinary letter for a fraction of what she paid. No.......let me take all of that back. A normal person would not post fruit teabags, that I can buy here, in the first place.

Hang on, I haven't finished yet.

Hard on the heels of that on Friday we had a phone-call from a transport guy to say he had 8 boxes for us.

MIL had sent us boxes of s/hand sheets and towels, a partly made pair of trousers, chopsticks, a candle, household junk in general, and left us to pick up the bill....140€ EEEEEEEK !!!!

There is light at the end of the tunnel though.

At the bottom of one of the boxes I discovered 8 absolutely wonderful African, hand carved, soapstone heads bought 40 or more years ago when the family lived in Rhodesia. They were sculpted by the Shona and the Zulu tribes.

african-soapstone-afro-carving-signed-bust-head_400194619997.jpg

African Art is so in vogue and I love it, so MIL I forgive you.

They could feature heavily at my next antiques fair in April.

Sue, I dont know how quite to put this, but, is it possible that shes in the early stages of dementia? Has she always been quite this random or is this a more recent development?

I wouldnt like to speak out of turn but 140 euros is a lot to lose when you dont have a lot in the first place - and thats one random pile of expensive post.

Just a thought?

Sue, I dont know how quite to put this, but, is it possible that shes in the early stages of dementia? Has she always been quite this random or is this a more recent development?

I wouldnt like to speak out of turn but 140 euros is a lot to lose when you dont have a lot in the first place - and thats one random pile of expensive post.

Just a thought?

She has always been dilly and come over as a bit ummmmm strange.

The thought had crossed my mind about the dementia.

You are so right about the 140€. It has put us in a really tight position, counting the cents. We will get the money back eventually from the sale of the African Heads, but that is not right now.

Gill thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply to me. It is a comfort to see a response that is close to ones own thoughts.

It just struck me as exceptionally odd. Theres dippy and theres addled, dippy being sending something that someone is waiting for, and putting the wrong address on, or addled - that parcel what you got right thar!

I have a bit of experience in this, because I used to go round weekly and visit an aunt-in-law who was blatantly heading down this route. She, like your MIL had always been considered a bit dippy, but this was somewhat different. Unfortunately she had an absolute cow of an adopted daughter who did nothing other than leech off her well-off mother and try and cause rifts with the rest of the family - which she eventually did very successfully, causing a permanent rift to the point where all communications between us was severed, about a year before she died. By all accounts, the daughter having achieved this, pretty much left her to rot (having immediately got her mum to change her will to cut out any bequests to other family members), and couldnt even be bothered to tear herself away from what she was doing when she got the call to say her mother was not long for this world.

If Karma exists, I sure as hell hope she gets hers.

Back