25g (1oz) mixed candied peel
25g (1oz) chopped almonds
1 small cooking apple peeled, cored and finely chopped
grated zest of ½ large orange
grated zest of ½ large lemon
150ml ( ¼ pint) stout
75ml (3 floz) rum or brandy
2 large eggs

• Put the suet, flour, spices, breadcrumbs and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Gradually stir in the mixed fruit, peel, nuts, apple and zest.

• Measure the stout into another bowl. Add the rum or brandy and beat in the eggs. Pour this mixture into the large bowl and mix thoroughly until the pudding mixture is fairly sloppy. Cover the bowl and leave it to stand overnight.

• The following day, fill a lightly greased 1.1 litre (2 pint) pudding basin with the mixture. Cover with a double thickness of greaseproof paper and some foil, and tie securely with string.

• Place the pudding basic on an upturned saucer in a large pan of simmering water which comes halfway up the sides. Cook for 7-8 hours, topping up the water occasionally to the right level and taking care that it does not boil dry. Alternatively cook in the top of a steamer.

• Leave the pudding to go cold and then remove the covers and replace with fresh ones. Store in a cool dry place until Christmas Day. To reheat steam the pudding for 2 hours. Serve with brandy and cream.
When I can get round to it, I will work out the calorie content and post that too :D

Sounds lovely, trouble is, no one else in the house likes Christmas pudding so not worth making one even if we weren't dieting. Btw I've got my dad on a regular diet and he's lost 30 pounds so far! As I said before we are going to have a steamed vegetable and grilled turkey dinner this year so no one's diet is ruined.

I call it a mixed 5 a day diet lol. He has a large salad at night with steamed vegetables and 4 or 5 apples throughout the day.

I call it a mixed 5 a day diet lol. He has a large salad at night with steamed vegetables and 4 or 5 apples throughout the day.

sounds pretty low calorie....does he find it hard to stick to!

No he finds it ok because he knows he has to. He suffers from copd because of his smoking in the past and when he was at his bigger weight it effected his breathing. Now, because of his weight loss so far, he doesn't even have to use one of his inhalers and his breathing is much better.

have a bit of a craving for apples that last few days....which I am trilled about....least its not crisps!!!

Back