Any Atkins rules?

CornishPixie

hey everyone, just wanted to get a gauge of any personal "rules" you set yourself whilst your doing atkins. I am keen to find out a base on g of fat/protein a day etc. I think my protein is coming in a littler high (around 100g) whilst my fat could be higher. Any suggestions on how to increase the fat and not the protein?

Rules, I am currently avoiding all caffeine, fizzy drinks and "fake foods", i.e the atkins friendly bread, or numerous fake foods you can get on lowcarb sites. I think once I am closer to goal I'll allow myself those things, but for now want to be quite regimented.

xx

Nothing with added wheat, even in tiny amounts. That rules out most sausages. :(

I am off the diet sodas, which is no great loss as I've always found them pretty bland, but I am kinda bored with water. When you can't have milk, fruit juice or pop it does limit things quite a bit!

I drink coffee and eat berries, seeds and nuts, and processed meats like peperami, and have from the start. I also use Splenda. I'm quite glad I can still lose while eating these things- that means there's plenty of things to try giving up if I stall.

I get my fat score up with coconut oil and cream in my coffee.

I drink coffee too, always have done and it doesn't affect me losing. Just as well as the no-coffee rule was a deal-breaker for me. I drink it black 90% of the time but first thing in the morning and last cup at night I put heavy cream in it. I can't bear fat in meat so the cream in the coffee, a limited amount of cheese and butter on my cauli is the only fat source that I find palatable and in my personal experience it's as important to keep the fat percentage high as keeping the carbs low.

you can up your fat intake with cheese (here and there, some are sensitive to it + it makes them stall, so it's something to watch out for, atkins recommends no more than a certain amount (2oz?) a day)
+ you can up fats by cooking in good oils, olive oil + coconut oil in particular, as well as butter, butter over veggies too, you can opt for the less expensive and fattier cuts of meat (like chicken thighs w/ skin, fatty mince ect.), ideally 65% of your daily calories should come from fat, 30% protein + 5% carb

i tend to try and buy the cheaper cut of meat for the fat content, even tho i drain most of it away.

i also dont eat or snack past 7.30 pm. if i get hungry (which is usually boredom rather than realy hunger) i drink a bottle of water x

oh, good tips there. its funny how one way of eating can give everyone their own set of personal rules to follow. I try not to eat anything I wouldnt usually eat, or would eat only because its atkins. I try and see this as a lifestyle choice and not a diet so if i wouldnt usually eat it, then i'm not going to start eating it for the sake of atkins...if that makes any sense. I've given up caffeine as when I was on LL, i didnt touch any caffeine, alcohol or fizzy drinks and in 12 weeks it made the most unbelieveable difference to cellulite - it disappears!! Water is the way forward!!

Back