Any chance I can still salvage my week?

JosieDelonge

Hiya,

I had a 1.5lb gain on Monday weigh in and I knew why so was determined to stick to plan and do well this week.

And it worked for the past 2 days except for some reason when 5pm came.

Tuesday I ate well all day. Went to my mums for lunch and avoided all the chocolate and biscuits I usually eat there. I synned the butter I put in the mash and filled up on superfree. I did good.

Then when I got home, whilst cooking my free/superfree dinner I started to pick. There was no reason for it, I wasn't particularly hungry but I ate 2 flapjacks (homemade), 2 custard creams and then later on a tunnocks tea cake which my husband offered me (bad husband!) but I didn't refuse (bad me!).

So I got back on track yesterday, ate well in work and only used up 3.5syns, ate 3 pieces of fruit, drank water. At 5pm I went to look for some holiday clothes as my mum had my son so I had the time!

Then it went wrong again. I couldn't find any clothes I liked enough except for one pair of trousers that weren't in my size! I went and bought a KFC wicked zinger box meal. It's worse - I had my zinger turned in to a zinger tower. :cry:

And there's more - I ate a wispa gold while I was driving home. :(

I know there's no real excuse for the binge. I know it was comfort eating as I've been feeling a bit stressed lately with money issues and considering how much I feel like I could cry at nothing, I suspect I'm heading in to my *week.

So there we go. I get weighed on Monday night. Is there any way I can salvage this week? A maintain would still be better than another gain.

I had a look on the SW site and have got all the syns for my KFC so it's staring me in the face (35syns for just the burger alone :eek: ).

Today at work I've actually walked up the stairs instead of taking the lift. It must be the first time since I had my interview in 2007! It's only 3rd floor but the way the stairs are laid out, it's actually 13 mini flights. My knees may drop off.

How do I claw my way back on to plan? Any rescue tips to kick my up the bum and get out of my funk? :(

Will power ;) but at least you've recognised that it is comfort eating and due to stress!! I always find i crave sugar massively when I am stressed, so maybe you need to eat more fruit and have more green days? The fruit will relieve you from your sugar cravings and pasta and potatoes are great as higher in carbohydrates and suppress any anxieties and are better at comforting. As for the syns now knowing that, do you think you could do 2 or three days without syns? This may correct your syn imbalance and stop you from thinking you've blown it! Keep smiling x :)

It happens. It's natural, and outside pressures stress us into doing things like this.

What to remember is where you want to be at the end of the journey, and why you want to do it.

It might help not to think of your losses in terms of 'this week'. If you are careful with your syns for the next 4/5 days, of course you can salvage things, and might even come out with a loss - you're not over your syns yet. But, even if you don't manage a loss, it's all about damage limitation now. Go 100% on plan, and at the very least you'll stop yourself falling off the wagon, and at best you'll find new motivation and perhaps realise a significant loss if not this week, then the week after.

Please don't be offended; this is not meant to be critical (we have all been there!) but in addition to recognising the "comfort eating" aspect to your story, perhaps you should be looking at the "comfort spending" too.

You are stressed about money, but you were looking to spend money on clothes, and did spend money on fast food and chocolate.

I had to curb my spending habits when I retired, and took a good hard look at my impulse buys and when and why I spent money. It wasn't a comfortable exercise - but very useful.

The burger 35 syns...and was it really worth those syns??
Draw a line and start fresh now --------------------
Try to stick to as many SuperFree and SuperSpeed food as you can for the rest of the week and hopefully you will not have a gain. Also maybe keep some Coke Zero, Pepsi Max, Diet Coke alongside when you have a sweet craving. Even better have plenty of water :)

I find that by the time I come in from work I was starving and before I cooked tea I would pick on naff food. Now when I come in I have a nibbly bowl of salad or a bowl of soup before I start cooking the evening meal and then I'm less tempted to snack on hugh syn food just because it's infront of me in the kitchen.
Q

Did you read the emotional eating thread that was bumped up last week? Do a search - it's worth a read.

You ask whether you can salvage the week, but what's the alternative? Giving up on your goal because you had a few bad days? Is that what you want? It's not about bad weeks or good weeks - it's about the long term.

Good luck :)

Yes, it is! Stick to plan, use your syns (but less, but no less than 5 per day!) eat loads of superfree and free food, and maybe a bit of exercise? Even a walk every day is enough. That's what I tend to do when I slip up, sometimes I have a little loss, sometimes it's a small gain, but if it is, it's now way as bad as a huge gain! I get weighed on a Monday too, so I know how you are feeling, but think, you've got the rest of today and 4 more full days! Don't give up!!

Please don't be offended; this is not meant to be critical (we have all been there!) but in addition to recognising the "comfort eating" aspect to your story, perhaps you should be looking at the "comfort spending" too.

You are stressed about money, but you were looking to spend money on clothes, and did spend money on fast food and chocolate.

I had to curb my spending habits when I retired, and took a good hard look at my impulse buys and when and why I spent money. It wasn't a comfortable exercise - but very useful.

Hiya!

I'm not offended by your post, not at all! :)

I am stressed about money like most other people are but the clothes I were hoping to buy are for my holiday in 2 weeks time.

I have not bought new clothes since way before I started on the plan, so my wardrobe is full of tracky bottoms and one pair of jeans that do fit (my mum bought them for me). Everything else is fat clothes that fit but no longer hang right. I just wanted to buy some linen trousers and maybe some shorts as I don't want to be in tracksuit bottoms when I'm in France! It was never going to be a spree. Just a few essentials.

I do however agree with comfort spending on bad food. Or any food really. :( The meal for myself and one for hubby came to just over £10 so it was a waste of money.

Was it worth it for 35 syns? Yes! :p I haven't had a kfc since way before xmas and I feel that after all that grease, I don't feel so craved to go for fast food for a while. I have some left over in the fridge which will be going in the bin when I get home. I can't face it now :)

I will try to go for low syns days for the rest of the week now. I have boiled eggs in the fridge to eat as soon as I get home so I can cook my pasta without raiding the junk cupboard.

I'm feeling a bit more positive today. I've got a drawer of fruit to nibble on this afternoon and I'm drinking more water which helps keep me less likely to eat something I shouldn't! Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you are feeling so much more positive today, and that you weren't upset by my post.

I spend too much on cosmetics and have to be really strict with myself - I have enough lipgloss to last a lifetime and still went and bought Red magazine today because it had a free lipgloss on the cover! I think I ought to listen to my own advice!!!!

I think thats a good idea to have something healthy to snack on thats ready when you walk in the door. I don't work (my husband had a stroke and I'm his carer) but if I go out, I take a banana in my bag with me in case I get the nibbles. And at home I have fruit and veg to snack on.... although I had never thought of the boiled egg, thats a GREAT idea!

Strike through the past and step forward, this was a minor blip, but totally recoverable. Maybe not in time for this weeks weigh in, but for the long term.

As part of my HEXA's I have 3 babybell mini's and usually have at least one of them whilst I'm waiting for my tea to cook cos I get starving when I come home. I find that really work's cos it keeps my away from the junk cupboard that I would normally go to. I've only been doing the plan for 5 days but have already lost 5lb (just couldn't keep away from the scales).

Like the other's have said - you can still salvage the week if you keep to low/no syns over the next few days. It might be worth working out the syn of every thing you have eaten and then you'll know if you have any left for this week or not. Don't be too down if you go over, as like others have said - eat speed and superspeed foods and you may even have a loss. Also, if you do gain weight, put it down to experience and move on from it. I'm sure everyone here will have a bad day at least once a month (if not more) so don't worry about it. xx

Thanks guys!

I did well yesterday and today I've only brought free/superfree foods to work so I can save any syns I do have left this week in to something small tonight (like a kit kat when I watch my dvd later!).

I'll try not to write off this week as a whole though otherwise I know I'll eat crap food and tell myself I'll go back on track next week.

Today is another day. Time to get some water down me and plan something free for my dinner tonight!

You're all right though. Sometimes the plan seems so easy and then other days I just feel like I can't stick to it, even though I know I can eat everything (just need to plan it!)

Back