Any fantasy fiction readers on here ?

Clarabow

Silver Member
If so what is your favourite read and what you reading at the mo ?

I'm re reading the Raymond E Feist books at the mo. Got many favourites would be hard to choose. Love Robin Hobb's work and of course Pratchett is brill

Be good to hear from people x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I like to read all sorts but also recently discovered Robin Hobb and I am loving her books! I read the Farseer Trilogy and am now just about to read the last in the Tawny Man trilogy. I've got the first in the Liveship Traders series in my to be read pile and another one but I can't offhand remember which it is - Rainwild series maybe? So far they've all been stonking good reads!

Stephen Donaldson and the Thomas Covenant series is probably my all time favourite though. I'm just waiting for Against All Things Ending to be released in paperback so I can keep up to date with that!

I haven't read any Feist for a long long time, but I do have Magician and Silverthorn in my pile for a long overdue reread. The only trouble is the edition of Magician that I bought recently was the updated version where he put back in bits he had skipped out from the original and maybe in doing that, the print is too tiny for my poor old eyes to read comfortably, hence it languishing in the to-be-read pile :rotflmao:

I have never tried Pratchett. I don't really know why. I like Tom Holt and some of Robert Rankin, but I'm not sure that they are fantasy .... although they are somewhat other-worldly. The same goes for Jasper Fforde, who is one of my favourite authors at this time!

I could ramble for hours! I better shhhhh for now :D

Oh and at the moment, I'm re-reading The Hobbit. My daughter whom I've recently got hooked on books, wanted to try it and I said I would read it first to see if I thought she was old enough to get the best from it, I want her to like it! :D I'd forgotten what a quick read it is, I haven't read it for about 25 years! oh god, I feel old now! ..... oh dammit, I am old! :eek: :D

Now haven't read the Thomas Covenant books for many many years. Could be on the list of re read after the Feist. Loved all the Robin Hobb ones.

Much to my shame I never got into Tolkien. Have read them but his style can grate on me a bit as he rambles in his description a wee bit too much. Brilliant stories, but sheesh get on with it ! lol I realise this is absolute heresy.

You may well like Pratchett, he is very witty. One of the few authors that make me laugh out loud. I was very saddened by the diagnosis of altzheimers. A loss of such an amazing mind is awful.

<-- Off to price up the Donaldson x

I really cannot praise Tad Williams Otherland series. I think it falls into to the sci-fi / fantasy category but it really is a brilliant read.
There are about 6 or so books in the series ( been a few years since I read it).

The Donaldson stuff is amazing!! But I like brian lumley too :) Try House of doors for a scifi/horror combo that scares the willies off me :) Anne Mcaffrey is another good one I've always loved!! I must get back to the liveship traders!! I read one a while back but lent it out and couldn't remember the blooming authors name to hunt up the rest.....so cheers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I really enjoy Robin Hobbs' books and have just finished listening to The Rainwild Chronicles 1; The Dragon Keeper on my car journeys. Really want the second volume now on CD.

I loved Diana Wynne Jones' quirky sense of humour and was sorry to hear she died a little while back.

What about Dave Duncan? I think my favourite series of books is his Seventh Swordsman series.

OOO I do love a bit of Brian Lumley. The Necroscope series knocked me out, just re read it earlier this year.

I loved Diana Wynne Jones' quirky sense of humour and was sorry to hear she died a little while back.

What about Dave Duncan? I think my favourite series of books is his Seventh Swordsman series.

Not tried either of these so will have a look into them. Ta muchly. Just had a look on Amazon, gosh Dave Duncan has written loads, how did I miss that one ?

Happy days x

David eddings - the belgariad series is awesome! Love Clive barker too he's nothing short of brilliant- weaveworld and cabal had me entranced!!
Love feist also, not heard of done if the ones mentioned here but will certainly be on the lookout!!
Pratchett such a genius. His last two programmer on tv had me in years :(

i really loved Weaveworld - but boy was it a big fat book! Might get it on Kindle one day and enjoy it all over again (bad hands mean that Kindle is so much easier for me now).

I was looking at a bookshelf upstairs and saw that I also have a lot of books by Maggie Furey - I find them a bit like the Belgariad series in that the characters are quite likeable and you find yourself wanting to know what's going to happen to them next.

Love Maggie Furie, David Eddings also. One of my favorite re reads :)

Oh so many books and so little time lol! I am currently reading Elizabeth Moon, which I am really enjoying. i tend to find a new author and read everything they have written before moving on - is that just me? I also love Robin Hobb, David Eddings, Diana Gabaldon (not strictly fantasy I guess but amazing books) David Gemmell, Feist, oh the list goes on and on, I bought a kindle last year and acquired a disc with 1600 fantasy books on it, so many I have wanted to read for so long, there aren't enough hours in the day!

Yes Jennaya with you on that, try and discover new authors and then read all their back catalogue brill. Tend to avoid the dreaded wait for the next installment that way.

You mentioned two authors there that I hadn't come accross so will look them up. Elizabeth moon and Diana Gabaldon. Any others I may not have stumbled upon. Right with you on the Fiest ect.

Cant say I can get my head round a kindle ... I love the feel of my books xx

Well Clara, I felt that way too, but when I had to take 7 books in my hand luggage on holiday because they were too heavy to fit in the meagre weight allowance I decided enough was enough. Now I wouldn't be without it, it fits in my bag everywhere I go, the last holiday was wonderful, I could choose between so many different books as i was lying on the beach - I am definitely a convert! If you try Elizabeth Moon start with Sheepfarmers Daughter, I was a bit confused at first but that is definitely the best place to start.

Clarabow said:
Yes Jennaya with you on that, try and discover new authors and then read all their back catalogue brill. Tend to avoid the dreaded wait for the next installment that way.

You mentioned two authors there that I hadn't come accross so will look them up. Elizabeth moon and Diana Gabaldon. Any others I may not have stumbled upon. Right with you on the Fiest ect.

Cant say I can get my head round a kindle ... I love the feel of my books xx

I'd thoroughly recommend Diana Gabaldon. Her books are amazing.

I thought the same as you about a kindle now? I wouldn't be without it

Hmmm would need to handle a kindle ... not convinced. But then I do love my gadgets a lot. GAdgets and books combined ,, could be a winning combination.

Hmmm yes gadgets - love them! I do seriously love my kindle, it has just made reading that much simpler. To be honest I rarely use the additional features, but when on holiday it is handy to be able to access the web, and when in a tiny hotel room being able to play some music through it to drown out certain bathroom noises from OH has been useful on occasion lol! Try Tesco, they are now selling them so you could have a proper look. (oh that's assuming you are in the UK!)

Back