Any genuine failures in spite of sticking to plan?

Inge Jones

I was curious to know if anyone has found they just can't get to their target weight in spite of managing to stick to a weight-loss diet? Anyone for example with a hormonal or medical or mystery condition that has defeated their efforts to lose weight?

Is there such a thing as a person who is unable to mobilise their fat stores and would actually die from malnutrition rather than burn their body fat?

What an interesting question. I would say the answer is no, however for some people they almost would have to do without any food to lose weight - and then they would be deficient in so many nutrients they would be very ill. Me - I have just eaten and drunk too much too often and now I know I can do it - even if at times it will be hard.

Certain drugs can make you gain weight, or prevent you from losing despite a strict regime, many diabetic drugs are guilty of that. Pioglitazone springs to mind..............

Im not blaming my weight gain on diabetic drugs, but they certainly didnt help. Thankfully im now on different drugs and have lost almost 5 stone in 4 months, but that isnt the walk in the park it sounds like either lol.

There may be a genetic reason why some people cant lose weight, but im pretty sure there would be other people in their family with the same genetic problem and they would know about it.

Lynn that's a really good rate of weight loss you managed once you got going! Yeah, I suppose drugs that directly alter metabolism could interfere with fat burning.

Hi, Yes I am . I have been on SW since March 1st, I have not lost weight only my confidence! I stuck to the plan religiously, by the book, weighing and measuring everything that needed to, I excersised daily punishing workouts, power walking and weight interval training at 6am in the morning, getting my child to school, cleaning house from top to bottom, then doing more training. I tried every trick in the book, drunk 2 and a half litres of water,daily & Pu'rer tea (yuk) which also had a staining effect on my teeth! My weigh -ins were a disaster...all the class accusing me that im cheating..huh the cheek of it! Finally I had a appointment with my GP who sent me to an endocrinologist, who sent me for a synathen test, to check my adrenal function, which came back OK, Only to discover that my actual Thyroid is to blame that my TSH is low, Ive been on thyroxine for 9 years, I ignored my other symptoms- dizzyness,(severe) muscle pain ,cramps, heavy periods that lasted a long while,hair loss, weight gain muscle loss, severe headaches lethargic. Wot a shopping list! But yes I ignored it til I sat and wrote my symptoms down and took them along to my GP who won't do anything. I have since contacted the British Thyroid foundation who suggested that my TSH could be to blame,and I need a diffrent medication...Now I will have the battle to get them to prescribe the drug I need that is readily available in the US but not so here, the medication in question is T4 thebody builders friend- the fat stripper! I have been told that if I take this medication I would lose 4 llb a week, this is because MY body is deficient in this hence causing me all the awful symptoms......I battle on following the plan, as I am now worried that if I stray from it I will pile on the pounds...thanks for getting this far xx

So are you saying the thyroxine is not the right treatment for your particular thyroid disorder? I remember vaguely reading about some other thyroid hormone that some people have a problem with - is that the one that is affecting you?

Hi Inge, Yes the medication may be at fault . Would be intresting to discover more about what you have read. Seeing my endocrinologist this week to see if I could have additional medication......watch this space.... He miy decline but then what do I do?

Back