any LT'er with underactive thyroid???

Oh, and thanks Sara4 (and Cathy!) - I have read about the whole T3/T4 thing, but had seriously doubted that any doctor (especially in the UK rather than the US) would even consider it. Now I know better and will definitely push for that if the increased dose doesn't help!

Thanks! :hug99:

Last edited:
good luck for tomorrow and you know what to do go into total melt down and cry for england it works x

Hey Guyz. Went To My Doc App. He Wasnt Willing To Increase My Intake Straightaway, But Sent Me For A Blood Test. Result Will Be Back Next Wk And Then Lets See What Happens. I Hope The Result Shows An Obvious Increase To Be Made As That Will Solve A Number Of Things For Me. But If He Says All Is Fine And Continue With Current Dose, Then I Dont Know What I'll Do. Guess I Can Only Wait And See. X

I've made an appointment for a weeks time to see my GP. I want them to increase my dose as i don't feel any better than i did before, infact i feel worse. They keep telling me my levels are fine but i don't feel fine.

I'm knacked now & only got up at 8am, haven't been out & have been on the comp all morning. My hair is falling out loads too... not from LT as it was happening before i started back on it.

OMG - isn't this unbelievable!!! THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY - and we are having to FIGHT for the treatment WE KNOW we need!! IT IS NOT THE DARK AGES FOLKS - but anyone would think it is! It is SHOCKING - in fact, it is worse than that, it is NEGLIGENCE!

You only have to search Google for anything relating to hypothyroid and you will come across so many stories of people who are at their wits' end because they know they feel crap and NO-ONE IS LISTENING. The doctors are so obsessed with numbers that they are ignoring the needs of their patients - that is totally DISGUSTING.

I was so sick of being told over the last 2 years that maybe it was due to iron levels, maybe I wasn't eating well enough, blah blah blah. When I spoke to my doctor I made several things clear: I have tried eating really healthily - I didn't feel better. I have tried increasing my iron intake - ditto. Besides, I have had low iron before (I'm a veggie) and it did not make me feel depressed, nor did it prevent me losing weight (I also explained to him that I had recently left Slimming World as I had not lost weight, despite following it to the letter). I am not a doctor, but it was bloody obvious to me what was wrong.

You have to convince your doctor that this "one size fits all" approach doesn't help - it is possible that your body needs to be at the lower end of the "normal" range in order to feel well - my doctor actually finally admitted that there is an argument that that is possibly the case for some people. We are individuals, we did not come out of a mould and we have our own needs.

I also assured my doctor that all I want is to feel well - I did not want to risk going outside the "normal" ie "healthy" range so if he was willing to try a higher dose I would be happy to be tested again whenever he thought was appropriate to ensure that I was within safe limits and not at risk of going "hyper" - which I pointed out was not something I wanted to do any more than he wanted me to.

And if all these arguments don't work for you (as well as crying!!), bear this in mind: back in 2002 there was a recommendation (admittedly in the US) that the higher end of the normal range should actually be changed to 3 (it quotes the current one at 5, but in the UK it is 4.5). In 2002!!! As it was believed that the normal range (which was actually only ever an average of people tested anyway) was misleading, as it likely included those who had high scores, so were borderline hypothyroid, but still considered to be at a normal level. See this site, it explains it better than me: What Is a Normal TSH Level?

I quote:
"It's ... years since the experts have established that this new, narrower TSH normal range of 0.3 to 3.0 is a more accurate one, and recommended that it become the standard of practice. Yet, the dithering continues."

So, in other words my score of 2.7, rather than being in the middle of the normal range as my doctor sees it, should actually be considered at the very HIGH end of normal.

So make sure you find out your score!

Anyway, really sorry about the long post, and the rant, but this makes me so ANGRY. In any case, I hope this helps anyone out there get any ideas on what they can say to their doctors to convince them. After all, when you are feeling tired, depressed, and without energy or motivation, the hardest thing is to stand up for yourself and fight your corner. Don't let your doctor take advantage of that or have a lazy approach to your treatment. We all deserve to feel well. xxx

Last edited:
Just re-read my last post... God, can't you tell I'm hormonal???!!! :eek:

Last time i was checked i think mine was 1.0 but i'm not 100% on that.
I just want to feel normal again..... hope they listen to me.

Hi Daisy

If your score is 1, that would put you at the low end of normal, so if you are still feeling hypo (tired, down etc) maybe it's not your T4 (thyroxine) level that's the problem... maybe you are one of those who needs extra T3 as well? As posters have mentioned above, your body may not be converting the T4 into T3 as it is supposed to, so you need it supplemented? It is definitely worth talking to your doctor about it (and don't let him/her get away with being dismissive!!).

Good luck hun!! :D

Hi. I tried Lipotrim a few years ago and had success BUT put it all back on and more when I came off it before "refeed". I am just about to start Cambridge and gather the flavours are good and varied whereas I found the Lipotrim tasted foul.

Hi NPNG!!

Your score is the number that comes back from the lab relating to the level of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) in your bloodstream.

Basically, your thyroid gland (which is located at the front of your throat) produces hormones that regulate your metabolism (T4 & T3).

If your thyroid is not producing enough of these hormones, your body will produce a hormone called TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) in order to stimulate your thyroid gland into producing more.

Now, in our case, stimulating the thyroid doesn't work cos our thyroid glands are malfunctioning. So we have a lot of TSH in our bloodstream, but still low levels of thyroid hormone. So we have high TSH scores, meaning our thyroid is under-active.

If your TSH score is really low, that means you are hyperthyroid (your thyroid is over-active and producing too much hormone), so your body is not producing much TSH to stimulate it cos it's already doing too much!

None of this was told to me by my doctor btw. I had to find it all out myself, but I have confirmed with him that it is correct.

Here we all are, with a lifelong condition, and are not getting told even the basics about it!!!

Hope this helps NPNG!

Thanx dumpy. Will ask the doc what score my blood test came back with.
I know its awful... I gave a blood test when my daughter was 5 months old coz was feelin tired etc.... Got a phone call from the receptionist at the doc surgery to pick up my prescription. This was on christmas eve. Got there and found out after lookin at the pres that ive got thyroid. She says no doc was available to see me... Infact all had gone home early. I had to make an app and managed to see the doc after new year. Was soooooo mad with the way the whole situation was dealt with.

Hey there, I have an underactive thyroid as well, and lost 9 lb in first week, so presume all is okay. I take 50mg a day and have exactly the same symptoms as you do. Didn't feel too bad last week was just so excited to start Lipotrim, but this week feeling cold, bit dizzy and stomach cramps. Can't say about the tiredness as with my bubba up at night, been blamin it on that!

Hope all goes well... I'm amazed at the amount of people on this diet with thyroid problems, and that weight loss seems to be same as normal people. x

NPNG - I had the same problem before I was finally given Thyroxine. I was being tested every couple of months for ages, and told that I was borderline but not enough to give treatment. I FELT CRAP, but that obviously didn't count!

Then one day I phoned up to get my latest result and just happened to speak to a different doctor in my surgery (the senior one). He assumed I was already on Thyroxine and seemed suprised that I wasn't!! He didn't say much, cos obviously didn't want to make my doctor look bad in front of me, but there was no mistaking the astonishment in his voice!!

Next thing I knew, I had another call from my own doctor saying my prescription was ready for collection! So obviously words had been had! But no explanation whatsoever! All she would say is that this time there were antibodies to my thyroid detected in my bloodstream (so my body is attacking my thyroid gland) so SHE had decided it was now worth treating me. But I had a letter following my FIRST blood test saying that I had antibodies, and wasn't given treatment then!!

Grrr... getting angry again... :mad:

Needless to say, I never see that particular doctor any more, I see the other ones in the practice, even though "officially" she is my doctor.

This is why I got so angry in my previous post - the treatment for thyroid disorders is absolutely crap. It's bloody Dickensian.

Hi Mummabear!

If you are still feeling crap, and have been on 50mcg for a while, pester your doctor to see if you would do better with a higher dose!

I'm not surprised how many people on this forum have under-active thyroids, as it is such a huge (no pun intended!) reason for so many people to be overweight and unable to lose it with conventional means. I get sick of people telling me to eat less and exercise more. I actually eat less than anyone I know and I need to lose about 4 stone!! I'm always getting comments from the slim people at work about how little I eat - I'm sure they think I stuff myself in secret - not true! My metabolism is low, therefore not burning much, therefore not demanding much food! They eat like horses and burn it all off! And regarding exercise - it's a bit hard to jump about when all I want to do is sleep!

I am amazed though how well you are all doing on LT, even though you are still symptomatic!

Am definitely going to try it! I've taken 2 weeks off work in July (cos got things going on at work till then so I can't afford to be feeling even more crap than I already do!) and I'm gonna do it!

The pharmacist thought the first few days might be harder at home than at work, but it is actually the opposite - I live alone so no-one else to cook for, and I'll be avoiding the cakes and snack machine at work! Plus I tend to eat less when I'm off work anyway, as I can lose myself in a book for hours if I'm bored!

I chose 2 weeks, rather than just one, cos I want to have lost a good bit of weight without anyone knowing I'm dieting! I doubt they'll see a difference by then but I'LL know! :D

God I am so gobby - my posts are always too long!! Soz guys! :eek:

I just wanted to say that i got my blood results back. I was feeling really tired, dizzy & weak.

My iron levels are a little low so i need to up my intake of green veg & red meat :giggle:

My thyroid levels were 5.8 so they've upped my meds :D

Now for the shocker :eek:

My cholesterol was 9.8 last year & its now.............. 3.8 :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was really shocked by that bit :happy036::party0049::party0011:

wow how could i have missed this thread for so long, it has answered Q's i had in the early days!!

I have underactive thyroid too, really struggled with other diets for results, then gave up as i got demoralised.

first LT wi i lost 7lbs, by week three lost a stone :D:D very happy with it.

my syptoms for the first week were..... SHEER BLOODY HELL!!!!

I still get old and tired a lot, but was ok prior to the diet. i had another blood test recently and my levels are 1.(something) well within range.

i also have fibromyalgia, which causes chronic fatigue and rheumatic pains, so that makes me tired too.

I am happy with my loss, and am hoping a lot of my symptoms will get better when i al slimmer. when i am at target, if i still feel unwell, i will be in that dr's/consultants/everyones surgery in two mins!

they cant blame being overweight by then, although would not be surprised to be told 'you are too slim!' rather than 'too fat' by then!!!

dr's!!!!

rant over ;)

Back