Any serious readers here?

Sulleyp

The Minis Bad Boy
Bums

Last edited:
oh yes. i read just about every day. and when i go on holiday a large amount of the packing is books.

i've been on holiday so have been easy reading. have read michael crichton's next (not that great although brings up interesting points), two ruth rendells (ahem), two sci fi books and a harry potter... like i said. hardly hard going, but sometimes i like reading cheesy stuff. i find agatha christie and ruth rendell my comfort food of reading, even if it is a little embarrassing being seen with it, ha.

abz xx

Yes I getcha. Cheesey stuff for me is Clive Cussler. Though I do like a philosophical read. You read any Cussler?

Well if you are a serious reader nothing will get you into Action/adventure like Cussler.

He is known as the grandmaster of adventure. SOld about 30m copies of his books. His plots tend to be quite inventive and his heroes macho. There are 3 types of Cussler books:

1- Dirk Pitt novels - Dirk Pitt is the hero and he works for N.U.M.A, and tis about all the stuff he does.
2- N.U.M.A. Files - Books that cover stories using other people in the company.
3- Co-written - STay away from these. Cussler is an old man now, and I think hes prob approaching 80 this year or next. So he has handed the writing duties over to his son Dirk Cussler and a friend Craig Dirgo. But it is still under Cusslers name.

SO which of his novels to read. I'd go with the Dirk Pitt ones he wrote himself. All can be found on amazon proper cheap. TO give you an idea too. When they made the film of Sahara Matthew McConoghay (spelling) played Dirk Pitt.

1. The Mediterranean Caper (1973) NB: Released as "MAYDAY!" in the United Kingdom.
  2. Iceberg (1975)
  3. Raise the Titanic! (1976)
  4. Vixen 03 (1978)
  5. Night Probe! (1981)
  6. Pacific Vortex! (1983) NB: Was written before The Mediterranean Caper.
  7. Deep Six (1984)
  8. Cyclops (1986)
  9. Treasure (1988)
  10. Dragon (1990)
  11. Sahara (1992)
  12. Inca Gold (1994)
  13. Shock Wave (1996)
  14. Flood Tide (1997)
  15. Atlantis Found (1999)

see, now you mention the name i have read at least one dirk pitt novel as the name is really familiar... i just have no idea which one!!

Dont worry about it. They are all entertaining. He inspired me to getting writing action/adventure novels. My first one is being editing as we speak by a publisher.

He has a distinct forumla though in his books that is exciting. But once you've read 15-20 of his books it gets annoying. You cna almost predict when itll happen.

I used to be a really serious reader, could get through a really good book in a day. But over the past few years with the three kids, reading has taken a back seat, although has started lately to rediscover it's joys!!

Combine them. Read them a book a day ;)

Am also a big fan of dirk pitt however i stopped reading cussler when his adventures stopped it just didnt feel the same anymore. I do have an excellent book for you to read 'the power of one' by courtney brice infact any of the books wriiten by this author are fantastic and worth a look at.

Combine them. Read them a book a day ;)

Ha lol, I never count the kids books as reading and I don't think they'd appreciate my books lol!

Am also a big fan of dirk pitt however i stopped reading cussler when his adventures stopped it just didnt feel the same anymore. I do have an excellent book for you to read 'the power of one' by courtney brice infact any of the books wriiten by this author are fantastic and worth a look at.

Sounds very similar to myself Matty boy.

And the power of one. Is that the book the Stephen Dorf film was based on?

I remember that the Power of one was made into a film though i cannot rem who made it. The film was a complete let down which was a major shame as it could have been v good if they had followed the book and the story. If i rem right i think Daniel Craig, morgan freeman and stephan dorf was in it as well.

Freeman and Dorf were definately in it. Craig played the evil bad guy if my memory serves me correctly.

I'm a big reader, I love books......there's always one in my bag.

There's a set of books by CRW Publishing LTD called The Collectors Library, Collector’s Library - Collector’s Library They're absolutely gorgeous, really beautiful with a high quality look and feel. I don't normally do hardbacks but those are the exception to the rule.

Oddly I've not read as much as I used to since I put on oodles of weight. I find it too uncomfortable to sit still for hours on end now - either my butt goes numb or my neck aches or I get pins and needles in my hands.

Hopefully I'll get back into it once I've lost a few pounds *coughstonescough* ;)

I fly

I fly alot in the week and i read a book within 2 journeys's which at present is less than a week. I am going through so many books its crazy.

Any good recommendations for a thoughtful read? Am reading the God Delusion at present which is really quite an eye opener. I like fact based books not so much fiction as i find i am liking those sorts of truth based book(biography's, Military fact based books on various conflicts). I used to read a lot of fiction with Tolkien and Pratchett but started to get a little bored until Harry Potter series came out.

So any recommendations?

Back