Any shift workers out there?

MissSlinky2011

Silver Member
Hi everyone,

Does anyone else work long shifts and if so how do you cope?

I often do 24 hour shifts where I have to bring all my food with me but there is food available where I am but its usually all naughty!

Does anyone have any tips on avoiding the sugary foods when it gets to 11pm and your getting tired lol

X x x

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins x x x

Hiya

I work a mixture of shifts, earlies, lates and nights. I usually find that on earlies and lates I'm not too bad but it's nights thatI struggle - who wants to eat salad at midnight?!
What I usually try to do when I'm on nights is eat little and often. I usually do EE but on nights I do green days so I get my extra HEX's. I usually have milk as one HEXA because I need my cups of tea and I always have either two Alpen Light or two of the small hi-fi bars as one of my HEXB's to fight the need for chocoate. I've started having the Uncle Bens rice time pots in my meal break on nights - the sweet and sour one is free on green and EE and the cantonese one is only 1 syn on EE and green. I also make my own houmous and bring that in with carrot sticks to dip. If I know it's gonna be a 'need chocolate' kind of night I also bring in Mikados because they are only half a syn each and I usually find a couple of these gets rid of my craving.

It's a pain isn't it, I've had an Apple and banana for my breakfast today and I've smacked on some ham already lol, I'm having leek and potato soup for my dinner and I've got a big pot of total 0% to eat throughout the day because I'm obsessed with natural yogurt lol. I'm making chicken wrapped in bacon with roasted pots, carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoe and mush peas with some gravy for tea and then I will have weetabix for me hexa and b tonight when I'm feeling peckish and I have some melon aswell its hard because I know there is a sweets drawer lol! X x x

I have the same problem because there's a vending machine in the next room to my office and they sell Time Out's - had one every day for a week when we started using the new office in September. So now I dont bring any change to work with me unless it's for something specific like a collection or lottery etc. And it doesn't help on weekend nights when everyone decides we need a pizza to cheer us up for being at work all night - my rice just doesnt compare then. xx

Lol I know they have take away saturdays here! Lol in doing 24 hours Saturday to Sunday aswell lol x x x

Crikey that's a long shift. And I moan at twelve hours!!! Lol. We're having buffets at Christmas too so my contribution is SW houmous and things to dip. I wont cave.....much lol xx

Long and boring! I'm currently watching the fantastic Mr fox to escape boredom :D lol x x x

Lol sounds like a good job to me ;o) and all I have to look forward to is being chained to a computer and answering 999 calls all night.....need a tv!!!xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using MiniMins

I'm just finishing a 33 hour shift, so 15 hours yesterday sleep in and 9 hours today.I work one to one with a LD man. I always bring extra food, yesterday I had Egg, bacon, mushrooms, (he had sausage bacon and beans with toast), I had fruit at lunch/ mid afternoon ( he had a cream cake), we both had new pots and veg for tea he had lamb steak I had chicken breast.
This mornings bf was leftover new pots roasted, bacon and eggs, he had beans and I had mushrooms.
Lunch would have been 2x Irish diet yogurts only I haven't had them yet lol!
As long as I eat enough I don't snack.

I do an early shift and a late.

When on earlies i take in a 'Magic Porridge' made with a muller light vanilla/choc and a container of fruit in- that keeps me going untill i get home early afternoon. I will then have a hot meal at usual time in the evening.

When i am on lates i will have a yogurt and banana for breakfast then will make up some sandwiches using both my hexb and sometimes i will have low fat cheese for my hexa and again a container of fruit, i will then keep going untill i get home and have a light meal as it usualy 21.30 when i get home- i never loose a lot when on lates.

Allthough i am only sat a couple of feet away from the vending machines i never get tempted- god knows where i get the wil power from though especially when i see someone get a 'Snickers' bar from it!
:girlpower:

Lol well done you!

It's the jaffa cakes that get me! And plus I don't have to spend any money, we get to treat the kitchen like our own! Lol

X x x

Lol sounds like a good job to me ;o) and all I have to look forward to is being chained to a computer and answering 999 calls all night.....need a tv!!!xx

I do 12 hr shifts.....answering those 999 calls! ;) (well, not the exact same ones as we're in a different area....and could be a different service....lol)

Organisation is the key to my success.....and making sure I have plenty of extras, usually fruit, for if I get peckish.

fs22 said:
I do 12 hr shifts.....answering those 999 calls! ;) (well, not the exact same ones as we're in a different area....and could be a different service....lol)

Organisation is the key to my success.....and making sure I have plenty of extras, usually fruit, for if I get peckish.

I bet that is an interesting but stressful job, I watched that Angela griffin program and she was at the call center and a woman called and was almost having her baby on the phone! X

I bet that is an interesting but stressful job, I watched that Angela griffin program and she was at the call center and a woman called and was almost having her baby on the phone! X

It's interesting that people always assume that the ambulance service is the right service....which it is!

I delivered a baby this morning....made me 2 hr late off but I don't mind for a job like that!

Aww wow I bet that's so amazing! I'm thinking about training as a midwife x x x

fs22 said:

I do police calls, I love it. X

Aww wow I bet that's so amazing! I'm thinking about training as a midwife x x x

I'd love to be a midwife but can't afford to go back to Uni :(

Back