Any Slimming World Vegans Out There?

I find if you buy prepared food it can be but if you buy the ingredients and things yourself from scratch I think it's cheaper. A lot of products on the shelfs are vegan friendly they just don't say it on the label, you've got to read the ingredients and know what the additives are. I also find asian supermarkets are brilliant, they sell more beans and lentils than you can shake a stick at and they're cheaper than regular supermarkets. Their jellies and a lot of their sweets are vegan friendly as they're made using seaweed.
If I was eating out I would look up the menu first and see what I could have with a few tweeks, I'm not afraid of asking them to change things on the meal to make them vegan friendly, I used to be a chef

The Forks Over Knives Cookbook is really good too, got some great recipes for 'mayo' and sour cream made from silken tofu! Also quinoa is good as a free oat substitute in porridge, it means I get to use a hexb on pecan nuts to put in it instead of using it on the oats, yum!

So good to hear sw vegans on here, I've been going since April and floated around the forum but all the vegan posts were out of date, which soya yogurt do you find has the least syns, or are they much the same?

I make porridge from couscous and quinoa mixed for the same reasons or if I'm in a rush just cousin cousin because it's quicker.
All the soy yogurts I've used have been more or less the same so I now use asda's own as they're cheaper, they are 2.5 syns per pot.

I find myself veering more towards vegan

Mostly you can enjoy some substitutes with your syns or hex allowance

Im veggie but mostly accidentally dairy free!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I tried my first tofu recipe today im a stir fry but its gone like scrambled egg. Any ideas why? It was firm. I pressed it between plates to drain water. I cut it in chunks and marinated in soy sauce etc. Pan frief it and now its mush :(

ForumRunner_20130918_175215.png

I tried my first tofu recipe today im a stir fry but its gone like scrambled egg. Any ideas why? It was firm. I pressed it between plates to drain water. I cut it in chunks and marinated in soy sauce etc. Pan frief it and now its mush :(

View attachment 107524
How long did you press it for? And how much weight did you use? I press mine all day or overnight with quite a lot of weight on, then what I don't use I freeze as this firms it up further.

I pressed it for about 10 minutes! And just with the weight of two plates. Maybe thats why. What type of weight do you use exactly? Thanks

View attachment 107524

Hi! I know it's been a while since anyone's posted in here, but it would be nice to keep it going!

With the tofu, despite being vegan for over a year and a half, I'm only just getting into cooking tofu now! From the pic, it looks like you could do with drying it out more. One way is to wrap it in a clean tea towel, and put it between two chopping boards with tins on top. Leave it for at least an hour.

Also, i have found that you have to be fairly gentle with it while you're cooking it - it may have broken because you stirred it too vigorously? I will generally marinade my tofu, griddle it on a dry pan, then gently add it at the end to stir fries, so it doesn't need to be mixed in.

With regards to vegan yogs, the flavoured ones are usually 2 syns per pot as someone already said. I believe the Alpro Soya Natural one is free - and it's really tasty. You can buy a yoghurt made from coconut milk called co-yo, which is really delicious, but probably off the scale in terms of syns! So rich I can barely eat a whole pot anyway, but a real treat and very filling.

I've found you all!! I thought I was alone :D. I'm new to the site. I'm planning on doing SW from home, as I did it before when I was an omni, but wanted to do some research to see if it was achievable. Green Days were always my favourite and we didn't have EE then. luckily I have my green day recipe book, although it's probably out of date! Looking forward to seeing all your progress. :)

Could anyone recommend a good site for vegan recipe or a must have cookbook. I'm a veggie 27 years but since starting SW have a lot of unplanned vegan days. So want to get organised so I'll not start getting bored and fall away from the plan. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I've got a few cook books recommended from vegans on here, The happy herbivore and appetite for reduction some really lovely recipes in them. I do however use google more, I tend to buy an ingredient/s then google vegan recipes for that particular ingredient and see what comes up. I also just change regular recipes to make them vegan friendly by replacing the meat or dairy products in them. I've also downloaded some really cheap ones from amazon to my kindle. Or look on here there are a few diaries and threads with recipes on.
I hope you find some good recipes and you do well x x

Thanks! Just ordered Appetite for Reduction. :)

I've found you all!! I thought I was alone :D. I'm new to the site. I'm planning on doing SW from home, as I did it before when I was an omni, but wanted to do some research to see if it was achievable. Green Days were always my favourite and we didn't have EE then. luckily I have my green day recipe book, although it's probably out of date! Looking forward to seeing all your progress. :)

Welcome! It is definitely possible to do SW as a vegan. I have found my syns creep up a bit recently, but that's just disorganisation, and getting so hungry I have to wolf down raw bars etc. I've lost a couple of stone since doing SW as a vegan. Good luck!

Thanks! Just ordered Appetite for Reduction. :)

Yeah! I love that book - there are some gorgeous recipes in there. Also really looking forward to her new book coming out, which is meant to be really, really simple recipes.

I like the alpro vanilla but rarely have yoghurt these days

Im vegetarian but avoid dairy mostly

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back