anybody else being criticised for "dieting"?

Hey guys,

bit of a moan really but just feel as if certain people in my life dont want me to lose the weight :(

My boyfriend of five years (who takes some of the blame for the weight gain ;) ) is great, he tells me im doing really well and encourages me in any way he can (even though he's one of those blokes who can literally eat anything and not put on a pound :mad: )

My sister weighs more than me, and is also dieting using WW and Slimming world, between mine and her boyfriends house, but she always says to me that i need to treat myself more? Like she has lost a stone so far but she eats out quite alot and snacks on chocolate, i dont snack on anything except fruit and the occasional jaffa cake or WW biscuit, but i get told im being too hard on myself? really annoying

One of my close friends also annoyed me at one time , she invited me for tea and because they decided last minute it was a take away tea, i took a pita bread and some salad, and she really wound me up going on i was stupid and stuff because i didnt want to eat a take out? its my choice at the end of the day :(

She also invites me for tea, and when i ask what they are having she says oh yeah is it suitable for you? but in a really sarcastic way, i dont know, im just ignoring it all at the minute and the constant comments "you can eat anything in moderation" which yes i know i can, but id rather not

anyway , rant over !

:)

Luckily it hasnt phased me yet,

WildChild88 said:
Hey guys,

bit of a moan really but just feel as if certain people in my life dont want me to lose the weight :(

My boyfriend of five years (who takes some of the blame for the weight gain ;) ) is great, he tells me im doing really well and encourages me in any way he can (even though he's one of those blokes who can literally eat anything and not put on a pound :mad: )

My sister weighs more than me, and is also dieting using WW and Slimming world, between mine and her boyfriends house, but she always says to me that i need to treat myself more? Like she has lost a stone so far but she eats out quite alot and snacks on chocolate, i dont snack on anything except fruit and the occasional jaffa cake or WW biscuit, but i get told im being too hard on myself? really annoying

One of my close friends also annoyed me at one time , she invited me for tea and because they decided last minute it was a take away tea, i took a pita bread and some salad, and she really wound me up going on i was stupid and stuff because i didnt want to eat a take out? its my choice at the end of the day :(

She also invites me for tea, and when i ask what they are having she says oh yeah is it suitable for you? but in a really sarcastic way, i dont know, im just ignoring it all at the minute and the constant comments "you can eat anything in moderation" which yes i know i can, but id rather not

anyway , rant over !

:)

Luckily it hasnt phased me yet,

Try not to let them get to you. I get people either being completely dismissive like your friend sounds as if she is, or telling me just to cut back and exercise and that WW is a load of nonsense. But I know that it works for me and just 'being sensible' NEVER lasts more than a week.

The people who say its ridiculous to be dieting blah blah generally seem to be those who could do with losing weight themselves I find and I honestly think it comes from envy that you are doing well and are motivated. It's hard to shift those pounds and to be in the right frame of mind to do it.

Don't let them get you down. Keep going knowing that soon you will have lost weight and feel great (that rhymes!) and they will see you were making the right choice. It's only for a period of your like, takeaway are waiting for you to enjoy when you're more in the swing of things.

Ruth x

Sorry about that power rant! I'm in the office on my own, bored out of my tiny mind.

haha, its fine, you're right, she wants to lose weight herself (my friend) but has no motivation, not to insult her but she's an "i'll start my diet when i've eaten all the chocolate from christmas" or "i'll start on monday" types, she did lose 2 stone on slimming world a couple of years back but has piled it back on along with some more, so i think to some degree, the criticism is because i have the willpower to do it (so far) and she doesn't.

In the past i have dieted and lost a few pounds , not seen a physical difference and though whats the point, so i expect everyone thinks it will just be another one of those situations, but i'm 7lbs down with 3 stone to go and more determined than ever.

I can imagine if any of the sarcastic remarks or "you need to treat yourself, have some cake" comments continue , I may snap, haha.

x

Honestly don't worry about it, your doing the right things and don't let other peoples remarks get to you. I get it all the time ppl telling me ww is rubbish and nonsense, and that point counting is ridiculous! But the main thing is I know it works for me and I can still eat whatever I want!! And when ppl are like that it makes me all the more adamant to get to goal to prove them wrong and maybe inspire them to do ww themselves Xox

Well done on sticking with the diet despite ur lack of support!
I do think u need to sit down and have a word with ur friend explain what losing weight means to u! If she's not willing to help or be nice about ur diet maybe u should rethink eating with her!
Some ppl just don't understand how important loosing weight is to ppl!

Maybe she is jealous that your making healthy changes while she is ordering take out!

Just stick at it and maybe you will inspire her!

I had a similar situation! My mum thinks I shouldn't diet! But I think it's because we were the same size and she doesn't want to be the fat one! So now I have a healthy bmi an she is still overweight! Not once has she told me well done or how great I look! I can only put it down to jealousy!

Hmm. I can completely relate to you. I have a stick thin sister who often tells me I don't need to diet and I look ok as I am blah blah. We need to be happy in ourselves though. Also my mum says counting points is ridiculous and stupid and doesn't think it works (even though I lost like 3st doing this!). People will try ti tempt you off the wagon... And you'll probably fall off once in a while but its all grand as long as you stay focussed. Maybe they think you deserve a treat? Tell them you will treat yourself when you're good and ready (buying yourself something new or going out to dinner with your OH). Honestly I think it mostly stems from jealousy. All you can do is try to brush it off... She isn't much of a friend if she's saying things like that to you though gggrrrr!

Sent from my Galaxy S using MiniMins

tell that to me. I'm OK when I'm in the UK or in the ROI, but when I go back home to Italy, my problems start. My sister hates everything that I love and always says sarcastic comments about me being on a diet, she says that I'm a skeleton walking and things like that. My dad has very strange ideas about what my healthy weight should be (I weight now 51 Kg and he just thinks I'm slightly too thin, but he reckons I should be 60 Kg... 10 Kg on the top of me would be WAY too many... My mum when I was bigger kept on pointing out that I had big knees, big thighs, big arms... now she keeps on pointing out that I have skinny thighs, skinny arms... that I'm too skinny in general...

Your close family is *never* happy, it doesn't matter what you do, they never are ;)

I have the same thing from my mother in law (to be) I prefer you with abit of weight on comments are always coming at me! They say I was too thin before I hadmy son, but to me that was when I felt my best and a lot more confident so I just have to learn to nod and smile then completely ignore her.

I get the opposite in a way.

I treat myself to a takeaway or meals out, probably more often than I should be there within my points. I made fish and chips last week and all the family were like ohh I bet you can't have that, you'll put weight on this week.

They seem to think I should eat nothing but leaves!

I get the opposite in a way.

I treat myself to a takeaway or meals out, probably more often than I should be there within my points. I made fish and chips last week and all the family were like ohh I bet you can't have that, you'll put weight on this week.

They seem to think I should eat nothing but leaves!

LOL my husband is the same.....no cheating gonna happen on his watch...LOL

Back