Anyone do low carb as well as calorie counting?

Caz

Repeat Offender
I've been hearing a lot about the benefits of a low carb diet but I don't want to move over to something like Atkins, I still want to count the calories that I'm having. I was just wondering if anyone has a low carb slant to their calorie counting and how does it work for you? How many carbs do you have a day, what do you eat/avoid and how much do you usually lose doing that? And also, if you know if that's more, less or the same as if you've just calorie counted, that'd be great to know too. Thanks :)

Not strictly speaking, but i try to only have carbs with my evening meal and not for lunch/breakfast too. I think it's helped - it got me out of a rut atleast, as i was really struggling to lose anything when i was having toast/sarnies at lunch. It maybe coincidence but i will be sticking to it!

Now it's winter my lunch consists of 1/2 a tin of soup eaten with a teaspoon so it takes longer and snacking is fruit/veg.

What do you have for breakfast instead then?

Usually fruit :) a couple of apples and a cup of coffee normally does me! I've had cereal bars this week, as we've been trying to use up what we've got in the cupboards, but usually it's a variety of fruit that i graze on all morning

What about substituting for low gi carbs ie new pots/sweet pot instead of regular, basmati rice instead of regular ect? Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I didn't know that new potatoes or basmati rice were lower GI than their regular equivalents! I might have a look into this

I restrict or try to not eat loads of carbs but can not cut them out completely as I love them too much. But quite happy not to eat bread mind and don't miss it much perfer ryvitias lower in cals and fat :)

I also eat wholemeal pasta but can not stomach wholemeal rice, it just a no no for me :whoopass:!!!

caroline g said:
I've been hearing a lot about the benefits of a low carb diet but I don't want to move over to something like Atkins, I still want to count the calories that I'm having. I was just wondering if anyone has a low carb slant to their calorie counting and how does it work for you? How many carbs do you have a day, what do you eat/avoid and how much do you usually lose doing that? And also, if you know if that's more, less or the same as if you've just calorie counted, that'd be great to know too. Thanks :)

I am on Dukan - people call it a French version of atkins but really it's more low-fat, low-carb, high protein - I add everything I eat into my fitness pal so that way keep a check on my calorie intake - have found I average 1100-1300 cals a day - and am full - so pretty low when before trying to lose weight I would easily eat 1700+ a day.

I had a bash at this when I plateaued before?

Totally ban bread and restrict all your carbs to 'good' ones like wholewheat pasta etc. And only eat them in one meal. I found breakfast was best in the week then at weekends I'd have them at dinner. You save looooads of cals on your meals so I used to indulge myself in cheese instead lol.

Back