Anyone else doing Couch25k?

Good Luck Elm if you're starting this and let us know how you're getting on :)

Hi Laura how are you getting on? I've just finished week 4 but I'm going to repeat it a few times

Hi!

I'm doing couch to 5k! :) last summer I could happily run 5k in less than 30mins, but then got with my partner and didn't go out running as much, so I'm back on it with c25k :) are you still doing it? Hope you're enjoying it!! :)

Hi Lozzy Gozzy I'm still doing couch25k :) Are you finding it easy to get back into it? At least you've done it before so you know you'll be able to complete it again soon :)

Down 3 lbs this week Delighted the scales is actually moving :)

Well done on the weight loss!! :D how's the c25k going?? :) I did my first go at week 4 last night, I'm loving seeing how much you improve week on week!! :D

Lost another pound lastweek but had an awful week this week so Im up 2 lbs :-( Haven't done couch25k in 2 weeks so I've to get back into it this weekend I'll be starting week 4 AGAIN! Hope I havent lost my fitness too much coz I was already finding week 4 tough before I had the 2 week break! Hope everyones doing good xx

I've decided to start Couch25k in a few weeks time, I want to get my weight down a little first so there's not so much impact on my joints :)

I've never run before so I'm just doing more walking to start, have you all found it relatively easy to get into?

I took up running last May, a month before my 50th birthday - to help lose weight. I lost just over 3 stone and hit my target at the beginning of October so it worked for me!!

I took up running last May, a month before my 50th birthday - to help lose weight. I lost just over 3 stone and hit my target at the beginning of October so it worked for me!!

Wow congratulations! Have you found it enjoyable? I used to go horse riding and would love to get back into that but need to lose a few stone first, so in the meantime I'm looking for something I can do (for free) alone and enjoy :)

I've done the programme before and am re-doing it at the moment as I had a really bad ankle injury to get over. I am on Week 5 Run 2 (2x 8min runs).

Running is SO good for shedding weight fast. It is hard though and doesn't come naturally to everyone (including me!) however if you stick at the C25K programme it is a fantastic tool for building stamina and confidence.

Tips would be:
1. Invest in a good sports bra and good trainers (ideally go and have your gait measured)
2. Run outside rather than on a treadmill- it is so much better
3. Stick to the plan, get in a routine. Make it a habit, force yourself out there in gale force winds or after a long day. Its 25mins. The feeling afterwards is amazing.

Good luck. Taking up running changed my life :) its hard and its something I have to keep working at but it is really a fantastic hobby to have

I've done the programme before and am re-doing it at the moment as I had a really bad ankle injury to get over. I am on Week 5 Run 2 (2x 8min runs).

Running is SO good for shedding weight fast. It is hard though and doesn't come naturally to everyone (including me!) however if you stick at the C25K programme it is a fantastic tool for building stamina and confidence.

Tips would be:
1. Invest in a good sports bra and good trainers (ideally go and have your gait measured)
2. Run outside rather than on a treadmill- it is so much better
3. Stick to the plan, get in a routine. Make it a habit, force yourself out there in gale force winds or after a long day. Its 25mins. The feeling afterwards is amazing.

Good luck. Taking up running changed my life :) its hard and its something I have to keep working at but it is really a fantastic hobby to have

Thanks so much, those are great tips. I'll be starting soon, how exciting!!

Wow congratulations! Have you found it enjoyable? I used to go horse riding and would love to get back into that but need to lose a few stone first, so in the meantime I'm looking for something I can do (for free) alone and enjoy :)
I LOVE it and still run 3 or 4 times a week. I laughed when they said I'd be aiming for 10km but they were right and my further distance to date is 14km! I NEVER thought I'd be a runner - I was one of those who used to point and laugh but now I find myself out in all weathers (except icy conditions!) I have four horses too :)

Well I started C25K... And I am in so much pain!

Someone told me it's called shin splints but my shins feel bruised and it hurts when I walk :'( I'm gutted.

Well I started C25K... And I am in so much pain!

Someone told me it's called shin splints but my shins feel bruised and it hurts when I walk :'( I'm gutted.

Hi VerdePurdy,

I run each day but started off with really bad shin splints for several months and was at risk of developing tibial stress fractures. I had them because I was doing hill running (which puts pressure on that part of your leg), also because I was overweight (again pressure on the leg), because my strides were too long and because of the way that I landed when running.

When the pain is really bad (particularly if it's localized to a small spot on the front of your leg rather than a generalized ache) it's important to have 3 days to a week off from running- either with total rest or better still with light exercise such as swimming. You can also apply an ice pack and take ibuprofen.

Once it settles you need to get fitted with some really good quality running shoes that are perfect for your foot shape (under/over-pronator/neutral) and running style. You can also do exercises where you bend your foot towards your shin and can take smaller strides when running and that will help and if possible try to run on level ground.

I know it's pretty gutting when you're so motivated and then something like this happens but keep going. You definitely can still run once your legs are a bit better- it's just a case of judging whether the pain is intense and stabbing and you need a break for a few days or whether it's ok and you can do light running. :)

(ps. My shin pain has gone and I love running now!)

Last edited:
I've started day 4 tomorrow and loving it xx

Back