Anyone else hate the meetings?

good job were all different then because I love couscous cakes.

Interesting thread, I too am a bit hmmm...about the meetings and fully agree that it is the Consultant who really makes it. It seems like some of us have meetings where all the C goes on about is the gains and losses for that week, whereas mine would mention it to start with, say who was Slimmer of the Week, who had had good losses or got their silver 7's etc, then we'd have a small general conversation about the losses and then on to whatever the theme was for that week. However I will agree that two of my niggles of the classes were the people who repeatedly hogged each meeting or shouted it - and those who just had the same old stories and excuses for bad weeks - and AND the bloody people who sit there and chat in muffled whispers all the way through the meetings when the C is trying to talk the class, SO rude, I feel like turning round and saying 'Excuse me, I didn't pay £5 (or whatever it is) to sit here and hear you chatting behind me!!'.

Needless to say I follow at home and don't go to classes at all, mainly for the above reasons and money shortages. The people chatting away just got to me far too much in the end.

I like the ideas you can get from people, and it's good being with lots of other folk who are all in the same boat, so can support each other, whether it's been a good or a bad week.

But I do find all the "Well Done" and the clapping a bit too patronising.

Having said that, I'm still going, because SW's working for me, so I'm not knocking any element of it!

I am new to a SW Class, I only joined 6 weeks ago although I have been following the diet for 18 months now.

I enjoy my meeting, there is always something new and interesting every week, and while I am waiting for my C to start her 'talk' I am getting to know the other members.

Plus you pay your money every week, so why waste it by just getting weighed - you could do that at home for free.

I will say though that I do think it depends on your C, mine is wonderful, very friendly and always has some advice of some sort to give us every week, she always makes the meetings informative, fun and very relaxed.

I have a really mixed view on meetings.

My consultant is really nice (currently expecting so i guess we will have a temp one!) and has a very stern approach to weight gains - which makes me a little nervous if i have gained as she is very keen to know why etc - but then perhaps another view on this is that she is a great consultant as she is drilling down into why i have gained.

She does the whole chat before the Image Therapy (IT) section each week - she usually goes through the basket for SOTW and chats about the syns in each item and gives us ideas on what to cook things with. I quite like this as it does make you find out the syns of some things you might have overlooked! Or she has a theme to chat about - most things like Halloween, Christmas, BBQs - the normal events we might find hard on SW!

Then IT itself is currently quite short as not many newbies and regular members are no more than 20 stopping at the moment. She also says why pay £5 and leave....surely Boots scales are cheaper!!!!!!!

I like to chat in IT and give tips and ideas - i took my trousers in (size 22) from when i started last year and held them up - its really hilarious as i am now around a 16 - so they do look very big....but little things like that (i hope) motivate others.....the next week someone else bought in something too big to show people the plan works wonders!!! :D

Negative points - the meeting does have a huge EE emphasis, and as a Red follower (although i am EE at the moment - need to get back to Red) it can be quite annoying as all talk is of EE!!!!

Another bad point is that from being on here (minis) i know other classes do SOTM, class newsletters, award certificates, etc - i mean for WOTY award i just got a clap and a small bunch of roses - not the Sash, pen, speech and certificates that some others get....i think this is just my C though, she must have to pay for these items and she doesnt want to fork out for them - so we have to do without!!!

However I dont think i could have done this without going to class - its group support. And ive won SOTW twice now.....you dont get to win that if you dont stay to class!!!! hehe! x

Anyone else hate the meetings.

I loved to stay to the meetings to find out what was new in the supermarkets. BUT, there was always a group who sat together and never, ever stopped chatting. I think they went for a day out.

Some people brought their pre-school children and children on school holidays and it was a nightmare. When you are paying a club to help you lose weight you should not have to endure children running up and down screaming their heads off, and people talking whilst the consultant is trying to help you with your dieting problems.

My mother looked after the kiddies for an hour whilst I went out, and if she couldn't I popped in to get weighed and then went home.

Last edited:
I loved and loathed my old group in equal measure. We would have a right old giggle but there would be the same one or two who'd hog the c's attention, the same ones who'd have their muffled chats when the C was talking and the one who would literally interrupt you when you were talking about how you'd done and start waffling on about herself. BUT at the same time, I fell I go my fiver's worth outta the group. My C had themed taster nights, brough us in new things to try and even started a walking group to get us exercising. Only issue was she never replied to my blooming emails when I needed her to!

Interesting how we all seem agreed on people chatting away during the C's talk at the end as the biggest problem, only thing is though what can be done about it? Its just so rude and annoying, I've left every single weight loss club that I've ever joined because of it. No idea how the problem could be addressed or resolved though - I'm having lunch with a friend on Friday who is a SW consultant (very excited about discussing her new career with her as I haven't seen her all year) and will ask her what she thinks about it. Really looking forward to picking her brains on the diet, my own personal consultant yay!

I love my class. Not because it doesn't have its issues, such as chatters, and hoggers, it does, but, the C is lovely, young, bubbly and completely enthusiastic about the plans, all of them. She does the 'round the group' thing, who lost etc, but she always has a chat with each of us, asking if we did anything differently, if we tried recipes out etc.
This week however she did it slightly differently, as it had been a very negative week last week and we all had to give three positives about our week, ignoring any negatives. That was quite interesting. She also does taster evenings, asks for our recipes, talks about new products and so on.
I agree with others regarding getting out what you put in though and if you feel that that IT sessions aren't working for you, why not chat to your C about it? She may take on some of your ideas and benefit all who go.

My class managed to make my daughter cry !! She was upset to start with because she had gained a pound and the Con told her she must have cheated. She kept on at her about "what about the biscuits perhaps you had one at home and didn't realise" then other group members piped up with I bet you didn't weigh your hexB. She had done none of these so we felt we got no support whatsoever. I like the way WW meetings just asks as a group "who feels pleased with their losses" and "who is not happy and would like some help" so much quicker and much friendlier approach xx

I find them a total waste of my time. I LOVE the eating plan but why are the meetings just going around everyone in the class to find out what they have lost this week? At least at ww meetings they had a theme each week and I felt we actually learnt something new. Shame as I much prefer doing sw

Hi I no the meetings in some groups can drag but the whole purpose is for everyone to gain IMAGE ( individual, motivation and group experience)therapy.
Some people get loads of help and support off them, maybe try another group for one week and see if you get anythin out of it.

Great weight loss.

Lydiaxx

i love the meetings! x find it rewarding and am happy to help others celebrate their weight loss and help pick them up when they've had a bad week - its all about helping each other out our group x

unfortunatley being in Canada, I don't have the options of meetings to go to. But I really cant understand how someone could hand over their money just to be weighed and then leave. Seems like such a waste of money to me.

No, I absolutely love the meetings.
It's not a case of going round finding out what people have lost or gained that week, it's about supporting each other and getting support from the consultant.
If someone is struggling then the group can offer suggestions. If someone has had a fabulous week or discovered something new then that can be shared with the group.
We had one woman who was struggling and when talking it through she realised she was having 2 B choices and not 1, an easy mistake to make that's true, but she wouldn't have realised if she hadn't stayed.

I think I've said before that you get out what you put in so if you have some great ideas for recipes or snacks etc then share it with the group :)

I love meetings and in over 3 years now, I've not got bored of them.
I'm with you on this one. Only been going 3 weeks and I notice a lot of weigh-and-run people. That's their choice but i thought it was all about support and mutual encouragement?

Besides, if I get just one useful tip or recipe - even a good book recommendation, then I figure a hour or so of my time is well worth a life time of health.

I paid £50 for 12 weeks - some people scoffed at this idea. £50 before was the equivalent of a half a night out! I'm buying in to the whole package/experience. Time will tell if I was right to;)

I stay for the classes because i have paid for it!!

but must admit sometimes i find it very tedious just going round the group going through losses/gains - and all the clapping does my head in!
we also have the problem of the same people taking over the conversation and people chatting.

but some weeks the C is helpful but some weeks it is literally just the group losses and gains and i do feel that is a waste of 2 hrs (she always runs late) as we have a very big group.

I will continue to go though as i feel i would be missing out if i didnt.

My class managed to make my daughter cry !! She was upset to start with because she had gained a pound and the Con told her she must have cheated. She kept on at her about "what about the biscuits perhaps you had one at home and didn't realise" then other group members piped up with I bet you didn't weigh your hexB. She had done none of these so we felt we got no support whatsoever.

Thats so sad and disappointing for your daughter and I think I would not have been able to hold my tongue .

We have a young girl at our group and she to put a pound on this week and thankfully her replies and advise were not so blunt and upsetting as that.

In fact I find her (the girl) positive and uplifting and gives the group a completely different dimension and enjoy her views on the plan.

Sorry for her experience and I hope it doesn't put her off.

I unfortunately didn't find the ww meetings very friendly or informative, I probably found a right miserable class, just my luck :D

Back