Anyone else hit a SW plateau?

Annie Chem

Hey everyone,

I'm currently following SW and have been since April last year. I've really enjoyed the plan and been successful, losing a little over 8.5st so far.

Lately my weight loss has slowed, almost coming to a complete stop over the past 10 weeks. I lose a pound, gain a pound, maintain and generally just yo-yo without making any real progress. I'm sticking to the plan 100%, staying within my syns and recording all my food daily. I honestly can't see where I could tighten things up!

I just wondered if this had happened to anyone else and if so, what tips you might have to kick-start my weight loss. I still have a considerable amount of weight to lose - perhaps 5st - so I know it's not because I'm close to getting to target (sadly).

Many thanks in advance, here's to a successful week,

Ann-Marie

Hi Annie,

I'm not doing SW, but I did want to respond as stalls are so frustrating!

I do think losing weight is hard, and once you've lost as much as you have, your body really fights for every pound. I've lost just over 9 stone, but the last 2 months have only see me lose a pound or two. Things that have helped me:

• have goals that are not scale number related eg walking more, going down clothes sizes, finding you fit in a space you didn't before
  • focus on how much better you feel, and how good your skin/hair etc. looks.
  • measure inches. So many times I haven't lost weight, but have lost inches
  • vary food. I read that sometimes your body gets used to eating the same meals. So I have tried to vary. I have no idea if this is based on anything scientific, but I figured it can't hurt to try
  • I went on holiday in June, and had a small gain. But 1 week of not counting meant I lost when I came back. So you can think about upping your syns for a week and see what happens

Other things you may want to look at are:

check your water intake and make sure you're drinking enough
have you ever looked into food intolerances? Sometimes this can cause water retention.
are you eating a lot of carbs? Maybe up your protein?
have you started exercising? This can affect scale weight
do you drink/eat a lot of sweeteners? Some people claim this affects them, although I've never had issues
are you constipated?
do you eat a lot of fruit? This can add calories, so you can think about cutting back
Are you sleeping properly? If not this can affect weight loss.

Good luck - and let us know if you find the solution!

x x

Back