anyone from the newcastle area??

Karen.hat

Silver Member
Hi any slimmers from the newcastle area? we are soon to be moving up (in april) and would be greatful for any info on gyms, schools, attractions nightlife ect.
would be good to have a chat as its a fairt few years since we've lived in north east

Hi - I'm from Gateshead (other side of the river) and originally from Sunderland (other side of the divide) - you will no doubt learn all about this when you arrive and have it impressed upon you!!

The nightlife is second to none, Newcastle is a world of its own, loads of cool restaurants and in the Stowell Street area of "The Toon" lies China-Town - although it is a city of course, Geordies fondly refer to the city as "The Toon" - mainly because they can't speak correctly, and everything revolves around their mediocre football team - third best in the area after Sunderland, and Sunderland Reserves;)

Can't tell you about the gyms - I don't think they have them as most Geordies are beer-swilling obesers, and truancy is the national sport - so no schools remain north of the river Tyne.

It's a little more lively than a Saturday night in Stroud:D

Most of the above is of course based on the legendary Tyne-Wear rivalry and of course Newcastle is a fantastic place - even speaking as a Wearsider myself.

I'm sure some of the Novocastrians will be along soon, but they're probably all at the Bigg Market tonight, so might be some time.

Oh and great shopping, theatres, Arenas, railway station & international airport - as well as the fastastic Metro system to transport you around.

Hope that helps a little.

Steve

sounds great, couldnt compare stroud nightlife though cos ive only been here a few months so havent had time to get to stroud.
Im originally from stockton so my sons a big boro supporter for his sins poor thing,
bit scared about schools now though as i have 4 kids one in college and two teenage girls as well as a 10yr old boy and one of my kids has had a rough time with schools here she fell in with a bad crowd skipped a few lessons ect i moved her schools and the report of her being "a bad un" followed her and now shes apparently been accused of smoking on way to school even though she is drove to school and watched through the gates. i could really do without a rerun of the las few months so hopefully there is at least one school thats going to help her.

thanks for all your advice hun. much appreciated

I know this is an old thread, but have just been browsing through my subscribed threads and can't believe there's not a single Geordie on here!!
I've been living in Newcastle about 9 months now and loving it. Have made some great friends along the way but you can never have enough friends!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm from Durham, originally South Shields so not too far, I msut say though I don't think I've seen anyone from newcastle. Princess Stevie is from Newton Aycliffe so not a million miles.

I think your nearest is maximus.....

I'm living in Newcastle at the moment!
I'm originally from Morpeth, but I moved to Newcastle about 2 years ago for University.

Right ladies I have a question for you! My 17 year old daughter has just moved up to Newcastle to be with us but is commuting to darlington for college. She doesn't know a soul here she's to old to hang around the streets (thankfully) and to young to go out drink, she's not really sporty what other things is there for her to do that will help her make friends her own age?

Many 17 year olds in the northeast are already drinking/clubbing to be fair.

There is a fair Unii/college scene at Newcastle as my step-daughter was always telling me as she seemed to always hang about there until she went to Liverpool.

Maximus said:
Many 17 year olds in the northeast are already drinking/clubbing to be fair.

There is a fair Unii/college scene at Newcastle as my step-daughter was always telling me as she seemed to always hang about there until she went to Liverpool.

She does Enjoy a drink occasionally, but to be fair to her since leaving Germany and moving to the uk she has found it hard to fit in. We were in Gloucester for a year and she'd just established her circle of friends when we had to move again! She had to go to darlington college as it was the only one at the time offering her course and if she changed awarding bodies she'd Lose the chance to go to uni. So it's even harder for her at the minute we like in a tiny estate she goes to college and hours commute away and she's at a loss as to how to make friends in Newcastle.

That makes it sound like she has no friends when I reread that!! She has friends in darlington Gloucester cheltenham edinborough Liverpool and Manchester so it's not as if she's a shrinking violet it's just we will be living in Newcastle at least another 5 years and I'd like her to have a life here too not just constantly traveling as she does enough to college

Does your daughter like dance? Dance City in Newcastle have various classes where she could meet people other than drinkers! Also she could volunteer at a charity shop or the Cat and Dog shelter to meet other people. Have you tried asking on the north easties group? Go to the all diets button, scroll down to slimming world and its on there. Hope that helps xx

I'm in Newcastle which part are you in Karen.

0001fatgrandma said:
Does your daughter like dance? Dance City in Newcastle have various classes where she could meet people other than drinkers! Also she could volunteer at a charity shop or the Cat and Dog shelter to meet other people. Have you tried asking on the north easties group? Go to the all diets button, scroll down to slimming world and its on there. Hope that helps xx

Thanks I've never heard of dance city but will google it now!
She's been looking for a weekend job to meet people that way but she's nit having much luck it seems she should have been working since 16 only place she's had interviews with so far was kfc and they said she was over qualified and to try somewhere else. Which I think is pants

I'm on my phone at the minute but will look for the north east group in morning when I'm on laptop!

Thank you so much for your help

Oh yeah forgot one thing
(volunteering?? Haha I can't even get her to walk our chocolate lab and washing up is illegal in our house with 3 teenage girls so can't see her volunteering unless it's working with children)

Right ladies I have a question for you! My 17 year old daughter has just moved up to Newcastle to be with us but is commuting to darlington for college. She doesn't know a soul here she's to old to hang around the streets (thankfully) and to young to go out drink, she's not really sporty what other things is there for her to do that will help her make friends her own age?

I went to college, and now work in Darlington.

To be honest, apart from the club scene there's not a great deal to do here, in my opinion.

They have a decent selection of shops here, but if it's more about things to do on a night there isn't really a lot. They do have a cinema though, which could be handy.

I'm afraid most of the teens here seem to still knock around outside in the town centre. Why I have no idea. It's either that, or going to "Kool Kids" (Darlingtons student night on a Thursday), or "Kong" (Friday nights).

I am originally from Newcastle, North Shields, my family all still live there and I would love to move back but don't think it will ever happen. Now live just outside Edinburgh.

Back