Anyone get really ill with a cold

peggypig

Silver Member
I feel wretched full of a cold, I hate the headaches and the stuffed up nose Feel like crying at times my head hurts so much:sigh:. I try my best to avoid people who have them but what do you do when its the husband.

Been taking pills only work a bit. Anyone else so ill with a cold.

poor you, heavy colds make you feel wretched dont they!! I've avoided one this winter, but had a proper stinker over xmas last year....the positive was I could legitimately avoid time with the new mother in law and stay in bed lol

feel better soon xx :bighug:

Health issues mean that I do get very ill if I have a cold, also the medication I regularly take prevents me from taking anything for a cold. This means it is really important for me to avoid a cold if I can. In the winter I take echinacea (the liquid drops, in water) and while I know that there are varied opinions on whether this helps, there is enough evidence in its favour to make it worth while in my opinion, and it doesn't interfere with my medication (I checked). The other thing that I do is get really fanatical about washing my hands, and trying to remember not to touch my face. Cold germs can easily be transferred from the hands to the nose this way. I am lucky enough to live on my own, so don't have to worry about other people's colds at home. I do stay with friends regularly, but they are understanding enough to let me know if any of them have bad colds, and give me the option not to go until they are feeling better. If I were you I would seriously consider banishing the husband to a spare room when he has a cold!

Colds generally run over nine days, three days coming (sneezing, aches, scratchy throat), three days here, ( bunged up, headache, sore throat), and three days going (all symptoms fade).
However if your headache lasts longer or is severe, and causes pain in the face either side of the nose or above the brow, gets worse when you lean forward then it could be sinusitis.

Do lots of steam baths to prevent them, after each steam bath blow your nose GENTLY, whilst hanging your head upside down. Blow too hard and you send infected snot into your ears!
Don't eat or drink any dairy foods especially chocolate as it makes mucus worse.
Take lots of vitamin C and regular doses of paracetamol for pain, always be careful to not exceed the max dose, and Decongestant orally ( the nasal ones can make it worse).

If symptoms of Sinusitis last longer than 7 days see your GP you may need antibiotics but generally it heals well without intervention.

I have been taking paracetamol every 4 x a day. Ive been using decongestant spray at night so I can breathe. Poor husband knows how ill i get with a cold and trieds to avoid breathing in my direction LOL.

I can remember having being at work a few years ago and sat crying in the toilet because my head was hurting so much adn I was a receptionist taking calls and having to be friendly to people not good when you feel so bad.

Thanks for the advice

Back