Anyone just stick to 20g carbs a day???

Hey :D

I've started Atkins this week as I did pretty well on it about 10 years ago. Back then I just stuck to 20g carbs a day, I honestly don't remember reading about the 12-15g of veg back then?! Is this something new? Does anyone else just stick to 20g and do their own thing?

I've done that this week and yesterday my scales said I'd lost 3lbs, but then today they said I'd put on an lb. Could this be because I'm not following the rules exactly?

I am trying to eat a little bit of lettuce and onion each day but I really don't like anything else :/

Any advice would be fab :)

Thanks x

Heya, I've only started too. Yea I know, I was abit confused too about 15g having to come from veg! As far as my thinking goes, it doesn't really matter where it comes from (you actually lose more with much higher fat/protein) so if your carbs came from nuts, mayo or even Choc (I know these not allowed on induction) I'd imagine you'd be fine once you stay below 20g carbs a day. I think they say it should come from veg to in courage people to eat more veg/salad stuff so that they get all their nutrients (which makes sense) As I said I'm only starting (have done atkins and primal before) so until I get the hang of this way of eating again, I'm allowing my carbs I come from wherever I like (eating alot of peanuts and cheese at the mo!)
X

Start date: June 6th 2013
Start weight: 10st 4.2lbs
Goal weight: 8st 10lbs
Current weight: 10st 3lbs

Well it seems to be working for me. 20g of carbs each day for the last 5 days and I've lost 7lbs :)
Think I'll just carry on like I'm doing and see how I go. It worked last time and I did it or a few months :) xx

Well it seems to be working for me. 20g of carbs each day for the last 5 days and I've lost 7lbs :)
Think I'll just carry on like I'm doing and see how I go. It worked last time and I did it or a few months :) xx

Well doneee. I find it hard to stick to 20g. I do about 23g normally, but try to eat veg. Actually, half the time I eat about 234043424534g of carbs like last night from pasta and Ben and Jerry's :((((

Getting your carbs in from chocolate or wheat or other refined carbs can cause blood sugar spikes which can in turn stall weight loss, so it's not recommended. If you're losing well with what you're doing then no need to change but it might be worth thinking about if you stall. Refined carb products are also more likely to cause cravings and leave you hungrier.

I have been craving ice cream too, so no judgement from me that you caved in to that hun.

Thanks for the advice :D I never eat any refined carbs/sugar etc. I meant things such as sausages and nuts. I still stay within 20g of carbs, but I know I shouldn't be eating those on induction. The diet is still working for me though so I have just carried on :eek:

Hi I stick to 20g a day but dont count out the veggies or anything, some days I might not even have any veggies. I'm not doing atkins properly though, I have every other weekend off. My boyfriend would kill me if I did it full time, its a pain for us trying to organise meals. Even with having every other weekend off I'm averaging 2lb loss every 2 weeks which is fine for me as I dont have a great deal to lose, just trying to get my weight as low as i can before my holiday.

I really need to start weighing my salad/veg as the last 2 days I've just piled it on the plate. It's only lettuce, cucumber, spring onion for the salad and cauli, cabbage & leek for the veg. Is it easy to go over the carbs when not weighing that type of stuff?

No I always do induction on a step down, 50g first few days, then 40g, then stop at 30g, helps with the headaches and weight loss is pretty much the same as ketogenesis kicks in <50g

Back