Anyone know about degrees as a mature student

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by melarnz, 17 December 2009 Social URL.

  1. melarnz

    melarnz Silver Member


    I have been told that the company I work for is winding down and I will be losing my job anytime between now and the next 2 yrs.

    I am looking to become a primary school teacher, but I need to do a degree.

    I have 9 gcse's all grade C and above but no A-levels. Does anyone know if I can do a degree without them, or if there is anything i have to do 1st to get in?
  2. Avatar Matched Content

    Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. Blonde Logic

    Blonde Logic Yes. You can.

    I never was a mture student, so I can't help! :D
  4. mommyB

    mommyB love it

    I think you have to do some sort of access course before you could start your actual degree. I only know this cos i am looking at doing an OU course next year and have to do the same-no a levels either.

    You could do a degree with OU and then do you PGCE at a 'proper' uni as you would need to do placements etc
  5. pete10141748

    pete10141748 Postaholic

    Yeah as a mature student you don't need A levels but you might have to take an equivalance exam or acess course before you can start the degree course.

    If you want to be a teacher, you have 2 options available, either do a degree in anything you want then do a Primary PGCE which will take you 4 years in total + whatever it takes for the access course, or you can enrol on an actual teaching degree like I did and do the 3 years of the degree between teaching placements and learning how to be a teacher.

    Either way your first year of teaching will be your NQT (newly qualified teacher) year which I believe you have do within a couple of years of qualifiying, it just depends on whether you want to study something in particular then cram learning to be a teacher into one year, or take your time over the 3 years of an actual teaching degree.
  6. kenshin112

    kenshin112 Gotta Make A Change

    pete as your a teacher, are you aware of any courses which i could do to teach kids english in a foreign country :D and also if i wanted to be a p.e teacher would i have to do a sports course?
    thanks in advance
  7. IreneH

    IreneH Gold Member

    Google TEFL for info about teaching English as a foreign language.

    In the north east we have HEFCs for mature students. Not sure if they are all over the country

    Irene xx
  8. kenshin112

    kenshin112 Gotta Make A Change

    thanks irene :D
  9. pete10141748

    pete10141748 Postaholic

    Irene's spot on with the TEFL stuff.

    As for PE it would depend what age group you mean, for a primary school where you'd be teaching everything including PE you can do any degree/PGCE or primary teacher training degree. For secondary school you can do a Key Stage 3 Teaching Degree with specialism in PE, I'm not aware of anyone needing prior PE experience of any sort to get onto the course as you're learning about PE throughout the course as well as teaching skills.

    Hope that helps!
  10. kenshin112

    kenshin112 Gotta Make A Change

    thank you pete :D
    hows LL coming along is it going smoothly :D
  11. pete10141748

    pete10141748 Postaholic

    Yeah I'm pretty much just into the groove of it now.

    As long as the snow doesn't prevent tonight's meeting I'll get my WI and then can start counting my losses. I don't feel any different yet so I don't think I'll have lost much so far, and if I have then I must have gained more than I previously thought, if you see what I mean.

    But I'm counting tomorrow as Day 1 really as I'll be able keep track of my losses, so whatever I weigh tonight I won't weigh for long! :)
  12. melarnz

    melarnz Silver Member

    Thanks Guys. Pete is the degree in teaching the Bachelors in Education?
  13. kenshin112

    kenshin112 Gotta Make A Change

    how was WI pete?
    hope it was smooth sailing

Share This Page

This site uses cookies and its third-party providers also uses cookies. By using this site you agree to this notice and understand why we have cookies.