Anyone switched from Atkins to Slimming World?

Sweet

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and wanted to get some opinions. I've just completed the Atkins induction (actually I did about a week and a half rather than 2 weeks!) and I wanted to switch to Slimming World especially as the transition seems like it would be the most straightforward if I start off with Red days.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had made this switch too and how you found it? I've heard it's quite common to gain some/a lot of the weight you lose on Atkins before you lose it again with SW!

I know these things vary from person to person, but just wondered what your experiences of this have been?

Thanks!

Never done the Atkins (dont like the sound of it personally) but you have chosen a very very healthy sustainable for life eating plan. And you can enjoy carbs with S W. Hope you like it, sure you will. Its just healthy food, not much weighing measuring etc. and you feel satisfied. Let us know how you go on :) :) :)

Thanks for your reply Hollys Nan!
I have tried SW a couple of times over the years and have had varying amounts of success with it, but think this is what will suit me right now and hopefully longer term.
I literally did Atkins induction just to give me a bit of a boost and get a good start having floated in and out of diets over the past months!!! I'm hoping that by now moving onto the SW plan that I won't gain too much of the weight I've just lost... hopefully! Just wondered what other people's experience of making this switch had been.

Hi Sweet,

I have just done the same thing but managed a week, but lost 10 pounds. Already had lost a stone since January doing a mix of slimming world, then joined weight watchers but my main problem has been suffering from extreme carb cravings. I read the new atkins book and had been doing a lot of reading and can really understand the science behind it. I can see now what causes my carb cravings which have disappeared but I do still fancy something sweet.

I found induction really hard towards the end, every recipie I tried to make just tasted eggy and I was desperate for something crunchy again!!! In answer to your question about weight gain, I think the answer is to very slowly increase your carb intake and not suddenly eat bread, potatoes etc all in one shot. I too have done slimming world before, it is an excellent way of eating and the choice of options (red/green and extra easy) is probably the easiest (and I found less restrictive than ww). I have bought some of the Scan Bran from Holland and Barratt and yes they do taste like cardboard but boy are they good after the week we have just done (LOL)!!! I too feel really tentative about the weight gain and so far have been checking daily, but am still continuing to drop. Keep up the water intake and when eating fruits go for the lower carb ones to start with .

I am still eating meat or fish with salad and veg for dinner and lunch, but have introduced a little fruit, the scan brans (may move onto ryvita next). If you do want to eat bread or rice go for wholemeal and a little to see how it affects you.

Good luck, be interesting to see how this transitions. Oh and how much did you lose on Atkins?

Hope that helps,

Kate

Hi, i have swapped from the dukan diet, which i think is similar to atkins diet, in that it is mainly proteins. I found it too hard going and after 10 days my body was craving nutrience from fruit and veg, although weight loss was good, got bored very quickly of eating the same things. I swapped to slimming world, after putting all my weight back on and am finding it much easier, feel like i could do it forever, although weight loss is a lot slower.

I have switched to SW from every other diet there is out there. Hoping this is the last one. Started weight watchers aged 10 and have prob been on a diet in every year since and I'm now 44 ;-)

I was on the Atkins before, and somehow it just didn't seem to work for me :/ Maybe not the best choice as I don't like meat :p But yes, I gained back a lot of the weight in the change-over, but it's coming off steadily now. It's also generally a lot more gratifying because you're eating things that feel healthy, like lots of veg and are allowed a treat, unlike the Atkins which restricts even most healthy things and sugary food. Cliche thought it is, you don't feel like you're on a diet with SW, so it's easier to sustain. I definitely reccommend it!

Hi Kate,

Scan brans sound vile! I'm not sure I can bring myself to try them - I know what you mean though about it being a change from meat!

I'd lost just over a stone since about February doing Weight Watchers, then put about 7lbs back on by eating most things in site for a couple of weeks! I have now lost that half stone plus a pound or two more with the Atkins induction so I'm hoping to just keep chipping away from there.

Definitely a good idea to still keep as much protein as poss in the diet for now and try to ease the carbs in again slowly. I'll probably weigh myself tomorrow as I have been doing SW for a couple of days now so fingers crossed that I've at least stayed the same.

LOl they are not too bad (had cream cheese, ham and salad on them today and they were ok)!!

You sound like me, lost half a stone twice over doing that!!! Be interesting to see how your weight has gone, I will be gutted if I put 10 pounds back on, so am really treading very carefully. I had half a potato and bit of carrot tonight, so see how those impact on me over next day or two.

Interesting to see others have done same, I wonder with the weight gain if they went into fully eating lots of carbs again.

Let us know how you get on, good luck.

Kate

Weighed myself today and I'm really pleased to say that I've lost 2lbs! Only 2lbs to go to my first goal and another 2lbs to my 10% :D

I have been doing Atkins for 10 days now and although I have lost 4.5kgs I'm thinking of switching to SW!! My husband has done Atkins before and lost loads but it really suits him - me I'm missing my carbs!!! Plus I'm spending so long in the kitchen making 1 meal for me and 1 for my kids!!!

It looks like your transition went well and I was just wondering if it's still going so well??

Back