Anyones else's GP refuse to sign???

*Shelley*

My GP refuses to sign the form. She says she does not agree with the diet in anyway. I gave her all the info my CDC told me to.

She isn't really intrested in discussing it as she got a receptionist to call me. I tried calling but I have to call Thursday morning.

Left a message for my CDC, waiting for her to call me back.

I'm on SS and have a lot to lose will I not be able to continue on SS now????

BTW day 2 and feel really good, no cravings or headaches.

Hi Shelly,

Sorry to hear your doctor is not very supportive.

I found this post by CDC Linda about CD's requirements...

Doctors Signature Requirements Cambridge Diet
To clarify if you have a medical condition that isn't contraindicated, on medication or have a BMI 40 or above you MUST go to the GP with your MRF before starting ANY of the programmes. This has not changed.

If, for any reason, the GP will not sign the form the only programme you can follow is the 1200 cal one. If it is a BMI issue alone, you can then follow this plan down to BMI 40 then move on to SS or SS+ with the CDC just writing to inform the GP you have done this. If its a medical condition or medication issue you would not be allowed to go below 1200 cals even if your BMI was lower than 40.

If you do not need to see GP for any of the above reasons if you choose to do SS only, the counsellor has to write to your GP this is different from above as it is a courtesy letter not one asking to confirm your medical details.

If you do not want the CDC to contact you GP the lowest you can do is SS+ which is 615 calories. If your BMI is over 40 you can do SS+ if GP okays it otherwise only 1200 cals.

Linda
Cambridge Counsellor Co-ordinator Committee
20 Years' Service Award
Special Merit Award Winner 2005

Here is the thread and more posts on the subject.

Love Mini xxx

Hi Shelley,
It is a shame your GP can't support you on your weight loss mission. However if there is no way she will cooperate, you can always switch to ss+, which allows you slightly more calories, and also a small protein based meal. This plan is a daily intake of 615 calories and your GP doesn't have to be informed. This could be the solution for you and weight loss isn't much different to the losses you would see on ss.
Hope this helps!

Can't you try seeing a different GP? My GP said that any way i feel i can lose weight without affecting my health in a negative way is a good thing. I don't think your GP should be able to say you can't do it unless your health is going to be at risk. I've heard people say that their GP has said they won't sign it and instead went to another GP who signed it straight away! (sorry for rambling! lol) Hope you get it sorted. x

I hope you can get it sorted soon. My doctor didn't have a problem with signing my form-a VLCD was his idea in the first place! If he hadn't agreed I would have just gone to see another doctor in the practice whether he liked it or not.

Its only the BMI thats the issue.

However I am only slightly above so once I have fallen below can I do the SS again.

Still waiting for my CDC to call.

If it's only the BMI that is the problem, you will be able to follow the 1200 plan until BMI is under 40 then you can sole source without GPs approval (as long as there are no medical contraindications).

I know it's frustrating but from what you say you'll soon get under bmi 40.

We have 2 gp practices in my town and both have a policy that no doctors will sign to approve any VLCD:( I have a lot of unhappy hopefuls who would truely benefit who unfortunately aren't even given a chance, it's such a shame.

Tracey
xxx

Mine wouldn't sign either - he said I should eat more fruit & veg and do more exercise - handed me some leaflets and I was on my way!

My BMI was 45 and I had already started SS (for 1 week) SS+ (there onwards) when I went to him at about week 3 (ish). I Didn't know I couldn't start without sign off!

My CDC said I needed to see him and for him to sign a form - didnt realise it was VERY important!

So he wouldn't sign it - I have continued and my CDC never asked for the form!

BMI now edging to 40 so its not quite a problem now - just didn't know there was rules!!

id definatly ask aonother dr or ask her what she does advice, my doc put me on reductil and gym and i lost 9lb in 3months, which was nothing, i lost 8lb in the first week on this, and staryed with a bmi of 39, so the doc had to agree to help in other ways which cost the nhs, see another dr and put it to them that way. maybe it will help, good luck either way xxx

I had to sit through a lecture on how VLCD's never work and 'You will feel like c**p'. Never mind that I already felt like c**p.:rolleyes:.
When I mentioned the joint pain I've been having, her reaction was to tell me to 'loose weight', so I passed her the form & she reluctantly signed. Add to this the fact she didn't offer to check my BP or weight! A really caring Doctor I've got.
I'm looking forward to the day I walk in to her surgery slim & healthy and blow a raspberry.

I had to sit through a lecture on how VLCD's never work and 'You will feel like c**p'. Never mind that I already felt like c**p.:rolleyes:.
When I mentioned the joint pain I've been having, her reaction was to tell me to 'loose weight', so I passed her the form & she reluctantly signed. Add to this the fact she didn't offer to check my BP or weight! A really caring Doctor I've got.
I'm looking forward to the day I walk in to her surgery slim & healthy and blow a raspberry.
you will, i know how you feel xx

Well my CDC was not happy.

I have to call the Practise Manager and ask if its a policy for everyone and all GPs say no, or is it just this GP in which case I will see another one.

If still no she will get headoffice to contact them and put pressure on. Meanwhile I will go on SS+ till I go under 40 BMI.

Thankyou

I cannot abide close minded sanctimonious people.

hi shelly, sorry to hear your gps giving you so much grief by not signing. its amazing where they blame every problem you have on your weight but dont offer any advice or support yould think the least they could do was sign a little form! i only just started cd yesterday and am yet to get my form signed but my doc is ok so should be able to get it done without a problem. hope another gp in your practice will sign the dotted line instead, i know itl be daunting to do a week of ss and then to have to change it just when yo get used to it. all the best and keep positive.

It really is unbelievable for Doctors to be so ignorant. With the Gov. wittering on about the cost of obesity to the NHS you'd think Doctors would be thrilled that we are taking serious steps to loose weight and get healthy.:mad:
I hope you do manage to get another Doctor to sign you form Shelly. Fingers crossed.
Den

Its just stupid.

There is a history of heart disease and diabetes in my family.

I have tried WW and SW countless times. Always lost a bit and put more on.

Instead of trying medical weightloss tablets or gastric surgery I am doing this.

Feel really annoyed, annoyed enough maybe to cahnge my Surgey altogether.

But on a good note. FEEL FAB on day three. No headaches, no hunger and no cheating - funnily not even wanting too. Think I have found a new lease of life. The only thing that bothers me is how much time I spent eating every day before LOL

I can't believe the myopic views of some GPs, they often blame the worlds ills on you being overweight and then don't offer any help when you try to do something about it.

Hang in there and find another Doctor or your own doctor when he/she gets back.

Good luck and hang in there honey, hopefully your real GP will sign or when pressure is put on the practice they might sign, if not do the other stage till you can do SS.

hey everyone i am wanting to start cambridge next week afyter doing lighter life ro four weeks, i have managed to lose a stone so far but the cost is too much on LL so i want to change.

anyway my GP wouldnt sign my form so i had to pay £50 for a private GP to sign it.
by all the info i have read here am i right in saying i can start this diet without my gp signing if my bmi is under 40.......my bmi is 32 so i am hoping i'll be able to start the vcld ss?

can u let me know?

Thanks xXx

yes needtolose4stone, your cdc can tell you for definate but if you have no other medical problems at all and a bmi under 40 you can start SS, your CDC justs send them a slip to say you've started the plan and thats it they dont need to 'sign' unless there are other issues.

Back