Are the soups any nicer than the meals?

Mandaxx25

Keto'ing for life
I'm starting to gag when eating the meals :( are the soups any nicer? I'm afraid to just get milk shakes and bars incase they leave me feeling incredibly deprived. As revolting as the spaghetti bolognese and shepherds pie are, they take the hunger away, unlike the shakes.
are the soups hard to stomach too? :jelous:

I think the soups are even worse, I have been using shakes and bars only for the last 4 weeks and feel better for it. I like the shakes and bars and I don't mind the chilli, I would rather be limited to 3 flavours of shakes and 2 bars and stick to it than try and eat stuff that makes me feel sick and end up cheating.

Thanks that really helps! Yes only the chilli works for me and even then I'm not thrilled about it. I just bought another pack of shakes and bars, so ill keep the meals for when I need something hot and filling. Gonna get some garlic powder to plaster them with lol and some nutmeg for the porridge.

I quite like the Thai soup mixed with a little turmeric and ground coriander. Or mixed with a bit of cayenne pepper.
It's really bland on its own. Haven't tried the meals yet...are they really revolting?

Well, I've never been a fussy eater and I find them disgusting. They don't taste like real food at all. They taste plasticky. Worse than anything out of a tin. The porridge isn't too bad but the meals are just yuck.

your taste buds really change with this diet..

I Hate the carbonara, the spag bol and tom and basil soup ...

I love the rest .... but I do add spices to the savoury packs and cinnamon to the porridge and the shakes....

I make all my shakes in blender with crushed ice and eat them with a spoon...

Ya have to get creative with this diet after a few weeks of it to break the monotony lol x x x

Yes you sure do! Lol I love the vanilla shake with orange drink mix put in it. I tried making porridge biscuits but they went wrong. I need to get a silicone baking sheet I think

Oh no!! I was hoping to switch to meals and shakes after making it through 28 days with the soups. To be fair the tomato and basil just isn't good, I've been okay with the

Accidentally hit send! I've liked the thai chicken and the vegetable. Haven't braved the mushroom yet simply because I despise mushrooms but my boyfriend has reassured me it's not too strong!! Was looking at the meals mainly for something a bit more chewable. Wouldn't recommend them then??

I've tried the mushroom soup. (And I too detest mushrooms!) if you add a tiny bit of chilli powder it's actually quite pleasant, and I've found that its slightly thicker than the others so it seems to keep me fuller for longer. (Daren't attempt the mushroom risotto though...ugh!)

Haha I'll brave it tonight and let you know how it goes!!

The meals are rotten. They are worse than any cheap brand food you've ever tasted. Infact they don't really taste like food at all, more like plastic. I'd honestly say that dog food looks and smells more appetising. Make the porridge biscuits or get bars if you want something to chew :)

I guess a lot of the products are down to personal taste/texture preference! I've still got 24 days to go of the soups so will see how bored I am of them by the end. Yeah the bars are really good :). Just braved the mushroom soup, nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, actually would say I enjoyed it until the last couple of mouthfuls which were a bit much. Apart from that and the tomato basil which I hope I'll get used to have really liked all the food.. Pleasantly surprised, can't wait for my first weigh in!! :D

I love the soup Manda! Well I love the thai chicken and the vegetable, but I can stomach the others too - I always add salt and a few other flavourings, and I make them with loads more water than they recommend - too gloopy otherwise. Have steered clear of the meals due to mixed reviews. Having the soup feels like a proper meal to me, the shakes are a distant memory an hour after I've had them! Isn't it weird how we all have different tastes?

PS - I keep chuckling over the title of this thread - it's like asking if being hit over the head with an iron bar is better than being hit over the head with a baseball bat! I'd say the answer is the same - this diet is also nice when it stops!!! :D

Ha ha ha ha ha!! Yes it is actually and you're sooooo right. Oh no, I can't stand the bloody bars now either. I think I'll put a clothes peg on my nose to eat as while I've had this cold it's been good not to taste anything he he!

Tesco ultra slim meal replacement bars are meant to be ok on exante and have been my saviour past couple of weeks. I was ready to fall off the wagon before i introduced one for breakfast or lunch each day instead of an exante pack. I personally enjoy porridge, shakes (as long as REALLY cold) and i love the carbonara which most people seem to despise! Tastebuds definitely change throughout though i used to like the shepherds pie but it makes me gag now! The tesco bars have defo been my saviour though!

Aw thanks that's a great help. The shepherds pie is the worst thing I've ever tasted, just yuck. The carbonara is ok, it reminds me a bit of pasta n sauce macaroni cheese. I was really shocked to find how salty things seem to me now that I'm not used to salt!

Helen I love the tesco bars as well - totally gorgeous and handy to carry/source in case of emergencies. I think they aren't as nutritionally complete as exante, so you'd need to watch how many shakes etc you're replacing, but I've certainly used them occasionally and they haven't held me back at all!

I'd say its totally personal taste. I actually like (and when I say like, its relative - I'm not comparing it to 'real' food!) some of the meals like the spag bol and the shepherds pie and even the carbonara. I couldnt bear the shepherds pie three years ago - its changed.
I just tried the risotto and its grim though. I don't like the chilli much either.

First time around I tried the tomato soup and that was also rank. My fave was the thai chicken. I try to avoid the soups though. Prefer meals.

As far as the shakes go, the worst imo is the chocolate (synthetic tasting) but I like the vanilla as I can add coffee. When I can't face another bar, I replace it with a 'treat' (ha ha) bar - an atkins peanut chocolate. I have to be careful though as the taste of chocolate makes me crave the real stuff.

The oats as porridge I find inedible - I always make them into 'biscuits' and eat them that way.

I made a mousse last night with the vanilla milkshake and baileys coffee. It was actually quite nice!

Yes the chocolate shake is yuck! I add orange mix to it. I can't seem to get the porridge biscuits to work though, they just burn and stick to the grease proof paper.

Back