are there any runners here?

gonabslim79

Are there any runners here? i have just submitted a form for my local 10k run!!

I did a 5 k about 2 years ago and just about managed it. I havent run for a couple of months and need to get back into it.

any tips? i want to go outside but its soooo cold!!!! the run is in may so not got that long really to get fit!!
x

I did a 10k run last october, but only really started my training properly a few months before then! I managed to get round the course through a combination of jogging and walking, so if you start the training with at least 3 months before the event then that should give you enough time.

I keep wanting to go running, but it's so icy it's not really worth the risk of sprained ankles!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

I am a trainee runner! I've just started a running plan (I posted a thread with my training plan on it, see below somewhere). It's for up to 5k but I'm sure you could easily adapt it for 10k!

I have just signed up for a 10k too on 5th April, and have never done any runs before. I'm going to start on the treadmill this weekend, 8 WEEKS before event! I'm thinking I should be out running now, but it's snowing so I'll just stay indoors with my coffee lol. I started running last year on a treadmill and built myself up to run for 15mins non-stop, then I quit like a silly cow! So I havn't ran in months so I'm basically starting from scratch again.
I think I'll problably end up walking bits of it anyway and I don't care just as long as I make it round to the end! Best wishes x

I'm a runner, yes you can do it by 5th May, I would follow the plan Hellie has done and once you can run for 30 mins not stop, try and increase one of your runs each week leading up to the race, don't worry about how long it will take you and don't worry if you have to take walk breaks, if you can manage to fit in a 5 mile run before the race you will do it, that was all I managed before my first 10k and I got through it

good luck!

Thanks for your advice guys. i managed to get up to 15mins on the tread mill and stopped too!! doh!! really wish the weather would jst sort itself out so i can get outside. treadmill running is soooo boring!! lolx

Thanks for your advice guys. i managed to get up to 15mins on the tread mill and stopped too!! doh!! really wish the weather would jst sort itself out so i can get outside. treadmill running is soooo boring!! lolx

:whacky068: hi all, I'm a lapsed jogger! I was managing 10k a few years ago, only a 5k last year and hardly anything since! gonabslim79, have you tried listening to music while you 'tread', or set a small portable TV in front of the treadmill...it's surprising how fast time goes if you are watching something. Now I must follow your lead and get back on mine!

mp3 player and treadmill and off ya go :D lol x

Yes I hate the 'dreadmill' too and always run outside, it's been a bad week cos of the snow but I have still managed my runs dodging the ice, if you can get off the roads and paths and run on grass you won't slip

I'm scheduled for an 8 miler today (gulp!) but couldn't resist jumping on the scales this morning and have lost another 2lbs so it's definitely working!!!

Back