Are these allowed?

joannelut

I all I have found today 3 things that if they are allowed is going to make me very happy

Corn cakes by mrs crumbles carbs 29.9g of which sugars 0.1g

Crisp bread by DS carbs 4.4g of which sugars 0.3G

Tesco Danish style thick sliced light white bread carbs 9.5g of which sugars 0.7g

What's everyones views on this I haven't tried any yet but cheese and crackers over Xmas oh yum yum yum.

It's about the only thing I miss

Joanne x

Depends what stage you're on.

Corn cakes - not really but on lifetime maintenance you could have one occasionally. If on induction then definite no.

Crispbreads - again depends what stage your on. 4.4g per crispbread is rather a lot but it is Christmas so you could perhaps have 1-2? Another option is Food Doctor high fibre multiseed crackers > HIGH FIBRE MULTISEED RYE CRACKERS | The Food Doctor | Eat Better Forever

They are very big and would nicely break into 4 decent sized crackers. If you had half a one topped with butter and cheese that's 3.8g carbs and their digestion would be slowed down by the saturated fat of the butter and cheese. They sell one of their versions at Tesco (even if it was the 8.2g carbs one it wouldn't be the end of the world). They are nice with cheese.

White bread - again not really but even on induction you could force a slice if you're careful for the rest of the day. I wouldn't risk it but as a one off on Christmas day then you could get away with it. Have you tried MiMs? Not to my taste but a lot of people love them. Joseph's pitas (sic) are a lifesaver for me. 4g of carbs each and you wouldn't know you were eating a low carb pita if you fill it right. I fill them with black pepper mayonnaise, bacon and chicken breast. It's heaven. Josephs Pita Bread - 6 Pack | Low Carb Megastore

One last thing, watch the cheese! Some like cheddar have 0.1g per 100g but others have a few carbs in.

Edited for spelling mistake!

Last edited:
Ignore the 'of which sugars' part - all carbs are digested as sugar. If you have 9g carbs of white bread and almost no other carbs on a day you will probably stay in ketosis, but 'the insulin rush it causes may well stall any loss.

I think there is a recipe for flax crackers somewhere, which you can have.

J2BLUE said:
Depends what stage your on.

Corn cakes - not really but on lifetime maintenance you could have one occasionally. If on induction then definite no.

Crispbreads - again depends what stage your on. 4.4g per crispbread is rather a lot but it is Christmas so you could perhaps have 1-2? Another option is Food Doctor high fibre multiseed crackers > HIGH FIBRE MULTISEED RYE CRACKERS | The Food Doctor | Eat Better Forever

They are very big and would nicely break into 4 decent sized crackers. If you had half a one topped with butter and cheese that's 3.8g carbs and their digestion would be slowed down by the saturated fat of the butter and cheese. They sell one of their versions at Tesco (even if it was the 8.2g carbs one it wouldn't be the end of the world). They are nice with cheese.

White bread - again not really but even on induction you could force a slice if you're careful for the rest of the day. I wouldn't risk it but as a one off on Christmas day then you could get away with it. Have you tried MiMs? Not to my taste but a lot of people love them. Joseph's pitas (sic) are a lifesaver for me. 4g of carbs each and you wouldn't know you were eating a low carb pita if you fill it right. I fill them with black pepper mayonnaise, bacon and chicken breast. It's heaven. Josephs Pita Bread - 6 Pack | Low Carb Megastore

One last thing, watch the cheese! Some like cheddar have 0.1g per 100g but others have a few carbs in.

Thanks for the really useful post... I must shop in the low carb megastore! It looks like it might be father Christmas's grotto!! :)

:-( not what I was hoping for but I am really glad I posted this before I ate any of them. I may also have found the answer as to why I am loosing weight so slowly I have been going by the "of which sugars" information, In was sure I read this but I must have picked it up wrong

Thank you

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

Your confusion may have come from the way a lot of American products label the 'net carbs' of products, separating sugar carbs from fibre carbs. In all honesty, a lot of that labelling came from manufacturers wanting to 'cash-in' on low-carb when it was very popular a few years ago. There is no FDA regulation of the 'net-carb' labelling so it isn't necessarily accurate and, anyway, it isn't really relevant to low-carb diets. What it IS relevant to - and quite useful for judging insulin injections - is diabetics which is why it's allowed to be printed on the packaging. As a low-carber myself with a non-low-carbing diabetic husband I have great fun reading and interpreting manufacturers labels LOL

Not quite, wrinkly. Carbs from fibre aren't digested and American labels include fibre in the overall carb count. If you're reading uk labels though, a carb IS a carb and if it's 30g carbs of which 2g is sugar, you're still eating 30g carbs. 'in the uk always just go by the carb count listed. No need to add or subtract anything. Simples.

Not quite, wrinkly. Carbs from fibre aren't digested and American labels include fibre in the overall carb count. If you're reading uk labels though, a carb IS a carb and if it's 30g carbs of which 2g is sugar, you're still eating 30g carbs. 'in the uk always just go by the carb count listed. No need to add or subtract anything. Simples.

I get this but am I right in thinking the UK exception would be diabetic products or atkins bars? These products list carbs, polyols and sugars. For the purposes of counting carbs, we can deduct the polyols from the total??

Yes you can deduct polyols - they're artificial sweeteners. However it's worth knowing they're nicknamed 'sugar alcohols' and go in the carb count for a reason. They won't take you out of ketosis but they'll act like sugar in a different way: your body will burn them as fuel before it will burn fat.

Fine when you need a small fix, but if you're having polyols daily your loss will be slower or stall more than it otherwise.

As well as potentially stalling losses, note that "polytrots" may be associated - unfortunately they dont agree with everyone:eek:

I'd quite like some 'trots' lol

Not to be sneered at - planning to keep some of the christmas choccies for those bunged up moments:D

Back