Are you a compulsive eater?

i used to eat till i felt sick and i have no idea why... since i have been on this site, although i not lost any weight yet, im really carefull about what i choose to eat and i do feel better about it. i never have that bloated stuffy feeling after a meal

I was just thinking about compulsive eating earlier today! I was wondering if there was such as thing as obsessive compulsive eating, because I find myself going back to the kitchen to fix myself something that I've just finished. Like making toast, having it, and making toast again (usually the same way), or going back to the kitchen to take a second cereal bar right after I've finished one. I think it might be like smoking, in the way that it's about taking a minute and doing something repetitive and soothing that's comforting because it's familiar. (Sorry, I'm not a smoker, but that's kind of how I see it)

Reading this thread has been great, it's good to be able to speak about something that other people in our lives perhaps can't understand.

I think people could maybe understand or sympathise if a person was addicted to drugs, alcohol, shopping for example but food addiction is almost taboo or something.

Sad thing is we cannot avoid it indefinately.

Sad thing is we cannot avoid it indefinately.

True, but you can change the way you think about it. In my head, the old way of eating is now avoided. So much has to do with how you approach your way of eating.

Now that I have joined my local Overeaters Anonymous (OA) I was prompted to look up this thread again. I am coming to realise that it will be a long, slow journey for me. I'm the kinda person who wants everything yesterday and it's just not gonna happen like that. I didn't get to this size overnight and I will not be able to change my mindset overnight. I've been thinking to myself 'ok, when is it going to kick in?' I am impatient as usual lol.

I do not know when it will 'kick in.' All I can do right now is make a daily Food Plan and try my best to stick with it. Tues night will be my third meeting.

I have a consultation for WLS on the 9th Dec and I am undecided whether to go or not. I need to make a decision soon.:rolleyes:

I was a compulsive overeater when depressed. I am still recovering from my other eating disorders however (bulimics have the overeating and the nastyotherness). I've heard it said that addictive personalities cannot be cured. I think this is true, we just have to work to change the way we do things...I think that is why I am so into exercise now and want to run...my compulsion is still there, it has swung to healthier things now (and I know it is healthy as it is not all consuming like the overeating was) and it is in moderation. I enjoy my new compulsions whereas before I hated myself and the compulsion to do what I was doing.

Does anybody have any ideas about replacement positive compulsions? I think its a supurb idea and I also think you have hit the nail on the head there for me.
I dont want to exercise, i'm 55 (i know its not too old) but during winter exercise doesnt hold any attraction to me.
Anybody got any ideas???
Lynne x

Does anybody have any ideas about replacement positive compulsions? I think its a supurb idea and I also think you have hit the nail on the head there for me.

Wow, now there's a question...what do you enjoy doing? Gardening? Knitting? (have known a few turn to sewing and knitting and similar things) Painting? I have found the things I enjoy take the time away from obsessing about food...I just get out of the house and go skateboarding or run or to the gym...I have no time, or no extra time to be left bored, etc...so you need something that gets you away from the house...perhaps...any local groups you can join? Courses? (flower arranging to mathematics, etc) I also study part time with the OU and that also takes up the time that food possibly used to...I also help out at the kids' school a lot...

Back