Atkins for the poor........

Silvermoonbeam

OK well not exactly poor but on a budget.;)

Does anybody have any tips on how to cut costs?

I did think of starting a thread about supermarkets say where food was on special offers but I think that will quickly get out of date and cause confusion.......any tips, hints or ideas appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you long term Atkinser's

Aldi is great! Also try and find a local market, grocers or world food store. The international food supermarket (yup that's the shop's name!) opposite my work has such a huge variety of fresh and random veg and spices and sauces at a third of the price or double the size of supermarkets. Also research how to keep your veg fresh, which ones tou'll use a lot of that can be frozen etc. wasted food is a huge cost when your on a budget! Also get the family or cooks pack of eggs, it works out better value and omelettes are the great convenience good in the world! I'm a budgeteer too so I understand your plight :)

If you can stomach it, organ meats like liver, kidney and heart are quite a bit cheaper than steak or chops. Generally the fattier the meat, the cheaper, which is good!

I second doing your veg shopping at the greengrocer's rather than Tesco, I find it less expensive.

Try to buy what veg you get seasonally, oh and lidl is v good too.

I've posted about pork before and how it can be tasteless.....if you buy decent British meat then it'll taste better and you won't need to eat as much....bit like mature cheese? (that makes sense in my head) ;)

Silvermoonbeam said:
OK well not exactly poor but on a budget.;)

I did think of starting a thread about supermarkets say where food was on special offers but I think that will quickly get out of date and cause confusion.......

Other forums on the site have a 'where the bargains are' type thread and they're very popular. You should start one :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Last edited:
Aldi is great! Also try and find a local market, grocers or world food store. The international food supermarket (yup that's the shop's name!) opposite my work has such a huge variety of fresh and random veg and spices and sauces at a third of the price or double the size of supermarkets. Also research how to keep your veg fresh, which ones tou'll use a lot of that can be frozen etc. wasted food is a huge cost when your on a budget! Also get the family or cooks pack of eggs, it works out better value and omelettes are the great convenience good in the world! I'm a budgeteer too so I understand your plight :)

Oh thanks for that we have a couple of those kind of shops near me never think to go there duh!!

I went to Lidl the other night and found it much cheaper than the Co-op which is my nearest, but will go to the international stores next time.

If you can stomach it, organ meats like liver, kidney and heart are quite a bit cheaper than steak or chops. Generally the fattier the meat, the cheaper, which is good!

I second doing your veg shopping at the greengrocer's rather than Tesco, I find it less expensive.

Well yes I can actually lol :eek: but for some reason I didn't think we were allowed offal on Induction???

On Jim's notes, it says "do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day". I don't eat the stuff so can't help more than that :)

I go to bookers or costco and buy certain things in bulk, especially chicken which can work out really cheap if you buy 10kg at a time, and then fill my freezer up with it. Not everyone can get a card to access these wholesale places though. Also check out markets, sometimes i drive up to Birmingham market because the butchers in there sell meat in bulk very cheaply. Check quality before buying though! I do love my steak, and even though i have to run to a budget i try to include steak at least 2 times a week because i love it so much. I recently bought 30 decent steaks from bookers for around £50, same in the supermarket would have been easily double that and more.

Oh, and if you do buy wholesale, don't get carried away because that defeats the object of trying to save money, make sure you can eat it within a reasonable time, freezer burn isn't tasty!

I go to bookers or costco and buy certain things in bulk, especially chicken which can work out really cheap if you buy 10kg at a time, and then fill my freezer up with it. Not everyone can get a card to access these wholesale places though. Also check out markets, sometimes i drive up to Birmingham market because the butchers in there sell meat in bulk very cheaply. Check quality before buying though! I do love my steak, and even though i have to run to a budget i try to include steak at least 2 times a week because i love it so much. I recently bought 30 decent steaks from bookers for around £50, same in the supermarket would have been easily double that and more.

Oh, and if you do buy wholesale, don't get carried away because that defeats the object of trying to save money, make sure you can eat it within a reasonable time, freezer burn isn't tasty!

Some great ideas.

Do you know I haven't had steak once!!! Will put it on the list, thank you for that. :)

Back