Atkins induction and switching from LL

IslandBreeze

Castaway
HI
I've been on LL for about 3 and a half weeks. I lost for the first 2 weeks and have not lost so much as half a pound for the last 12 days. This is getting very dispiriting and I'm thinking of switching to Atkins. I would have to switch to low-carb soon anyway as I only have 20 days of LL packs left. ( I live on a remote island so can't get more).

I have 2 questions.
1)Will I regain some water weight etc when I switch over?
2) I've been looking up the rules of induction on here as I won't get my book for at least 3 more weeks. It says you can have 3 cups of salad or 2 salad and 1 low-carb veg. Here it's often impossible to get salad, sometimes it's in the shops, sometimes it disappears for weeks. So if I can't get salad, can I just have veg and if so how much? 2 cups? We have started growing our own veg and the courgettes are coming up nicely (as a life-long city-girl I'm so impressed by this!) Presumably 3 cups of veg would be too much for induction?

Thanks

Morning IB

I am not exactly doing induction, as still on my packs for 2 meals, but I have been having around a cereal bowl full of the allowed veggies each day with my evening meal and losing nicely. So that would be about 3 cups I think. Someone with some more Atkins knowledge will be able to tell you better, but I would have thought 3 cups of the right veggies should be fine.

Incidently, I have the LL Lite book, which tells you what you can have if you wanted to do this until you run out of packs. I can scan the relevant pages and send them via email if you would like them?

Re induction, I have found the Atkins website pretty good for telling you what you can have and has a good carb counter on there, so you could work your veggies and food out for your 20g per day.

Looking forward to Good Friday, when I will be switching to fully low carb.

Ooh yes, please Sarah! Would love to see the LLL pages.
Have been for a walk in the forest this morning - hoping a little extra activity might help as scales STILL haven't budged. It was fun.

It's odd that they haven't budged recently. Have you asked for advice on the LL board? Will scan those pages tomorrow and will email them to you.

It's odd that they haven't budged recently. Have you asked for advice on the LL board? Will scan those pages tomorrow and will email them to you.

I've asked and got various friendly replies all saying what you'd expect, such as are you in ketosis, are you drinking enough water, it has to start moving again soon, don't weight yourself so often etc. But it feels like forever. Am absolutely mystified. But at least I'm not head-down in a bowl of chocolate mousse about it - yet!!!

Ah it's good that you are being positive about it. Hang on in there and I am sure it will shift. Did you have this happen last time you did LL? Is it possible that your body has gone into starvation mode for some reason and is hanging onto the fat? Maybe giving LL Lite a week might kick start it? Don't really know enough about it, but has to be worth a try.

Maybe. It does seem that on non-VLCDs upping the calorie intake slightly can kick-start things again. Am considering all options at the moment- well, except chocolate!

IB, I should think any green leaf veggie you can get hold of will substitute for salad veggies.

IB, I should think any green leaf veggie you can get hold of will substitute for salad veggies.

Thanks. There's been no lettuce for weeks now but there's plenty of cucumber and broccoli and I can get frozen spinach so I should be ok with that. I've gone over to Atkins this morning. I actually gained weight this morning and I can't continue like this as I'll eventually just hoover up the entire contents of the fridge as I'm getting really fed up.

No cabbage or Kale at all IB?

Thanks. There's been no lettuce for weeks now but there's plenty of cucumber and broccoli and I can get frozen spinach so I should be ok with that. I've gone over to Atkins this morning. I actually gained weight this morning and I can't continue like this as I'll eventually just hoover up the entire contents of the fridge as I'm getting really fed up.

Oh IB, that sounds like a wise decision. Your system must not agree with LL this time around and I think more food will jump start everything. Good luck on finding lots of leafy greens.

No cabbage or Kale at all IB?
Ah yes, to be fair there is cabbage. Didn't think of it as I hate the stuff - shades of school dinners. Suppose it's not so bad raw or stir-fried though. Also we have this stuff the French call maggi - no idea what the English call it but it's yummy. Stalks look like celery, leaves like spinach - great in stews etc as has a strong beefy taste.
We have cauliflower quite often and I could eat a whole head of it raw!! Can't remember if that's Ok for Induction though I think generally the good doctor was quite keen on broccoli and cauli?

Cauliflower is fine IB. If you buy at markets see if your can persuade them to sell you the cauli leaves as well.

Back