Atkins or cheaper brands?

cherl889

Loves this site!
Sometimes i really cant be bothered to make myself a cooked breakfast (i never used to eat it at all) so now im wondering if i can have an atkins shake or bar instead? Can anyone recommed where to buy them and/or are there cheaper alternatives? They are very expensive arent they?

you can have bars & shakes during induction but most people on here will tell you to stay away until you are well in ketosis. Also check the bars & shakes are some are not applicable for induction.

Ive got some bars in the cupboard and paid just over £5 in tesco for 5 bars. I was paying £2 per bar when in cambridge diet so they are cheaper. Im not aware of any alternatives sorry.
Sainsburys, boots, tesco all do atkins range (you can more info off the actual atkins website about stockists)

Cheers july2010, ive just found another forum while googling atkins shakes that say to stay away from them due to hidden carbs. Does food have hidden carbs? Im a bit worried and confused now. Just when i thought this was getting easy.

The quickest brekkie I know is to crack 2 or 3 eggs into a saucepan, whisk with a fork, add butter and a sprinkle of cheese if you like and away ya go. All cooked in 5 mins or so. :)

Have a look on lowcarbmegastore site, and avidlite. They stock Atkins products and cheaper alternatives. The sweetening agent in low carb bars etc doesn't impact on the blood the way refined sugar does but some people are sensitive to sugar alcohols - maltitol, sorbitol etc - and their weight loss stalls or even stops. They also tend to cause distressing tummy symptoms if taken in quantity so don't be temped to guzzle them, however tasty!

As for hidden carbs - just read food labels carefully. Atkins is very easy to 'do'. Soon it will become second nature!

I use sero bars from avidlite & their protein shakes & they're very good but definately wait for a week til you have the bars. x

I mostly eat leftovers for breakfast, I make sure I cook plenty the night before.

Thanks guys. I dont actually get hungry anymore and have to force myself to eat as i know i have to but im left feeling quite sick after. Did anyone else go through this in their 1st week?

I didn't Cherl, but you're not alone, I have heard that from a few people, and also, as I was telling Lisa, you may be experiencing the first onset of Atkins flu.

cherl i felt like i couldnt face fat anymore, but i just pushed through it. :)

Well i never thought id see the day when i force myself to eat! I normally love food;). How long does it last for? Its horrible

a day or so. :( but then you will feel fab x

The bad mood and headaches have past its just this not wanting to eat. Thats why i was asking about the shakes or bars on another thread, thought maybe they would go down a bit easier.

Don't do the bars and stuff, look how well you're doing love.

Thanks. As i said on another post ive lost a whopping 10lb in my 1st week. Im just worried that im not getting hungry and a shake to me is a treat anyway so thought i could have the odd one. Dont want them everyday but i guess your right jim, ive been doing well and i suppose the 1st week is always going to be the hardest. I'll stick with it. Just need some basic and simple rules to follow now. Ive been doing the low carbs no more than 20g a day but there must be more to it than that?

yes stick with how you have been doing especially for the first 2 weeks. what do you mean more to it? sorry im having a dozy afternoon :)

Well ive been bad and not really watching portion sizes and drinking things like juice, i know the juice only has a trace of carbs but cant help think i should be doing more (or eating less), it is a diet afterall!

BUT you are doing it ok - 10lbs in one week!!!!!!!!!! look how long it has taken me to lose 10lbs! see how it goes next week with weight loss and see if you need to make any adjustments. Atkins IS the best diet but you need to get out of the ww/sw mindsets etc :D its fatastic :D

not sure if i meant fatastic :)

Back