Average daily cals

I don't know is the simple answer to that one?? Mine are generally 1400 sometimes more, Dr Johnson doesn't really concentrate on the calories ? As long as you are eating plenty on your ups you should be fine?

If you are losing on 2 DDs then its not a problem, I think you have to alter it slightly to suit your needs :)

I know we're only supposed to focus on our up day / down days, but I'm worrying about my average daily cals.

My average is about 1200, which I guess is fine, but when I look at the mfp net av cals (deducting exercise but not regular daily activity) its only 800 - 1000. Should I be concerned?

Honestly? No. Well, that's my humble opinion, anyway. But then in the past, I've spent months on a VLCD taking in 450 calories a day. Not surprisingly, I lost weight rather quickly (during the golden shot first attempt, anyway ;)). If you increase your calories intake, it is most probably going to slow the speed at which you lose weight. If you're in no hurry, then I guess it's fine to experiment with increasing your calories.

I guess my question to you is why are you worried? Presumably because you think you might not be taking in enough nutrition? I think you're wise to think about the quality of food you eat on UDs, definitely - there's no doubt it's possible to do JUDDD eating junk food (just like you could on WWs or doing conventional calorie counting). I think that might be the more important factor here.

Now that is an interesting question. Why am I worried? Funnily enough not about nutrients - the worst thing I eat nutritionally is probably dark choc. I follow a paleo diet so low carb, no processed food, even on up days.

I think there's two reasons: firstly, I'm worried that eating too little will cause me to binge, and secondly, I find DD days hard, particularly if I've already done one that week. So I think I'm, in a roundabout way, asking "permission" to make them easier.

I really appreciate the excellent question. It really made me think - rather than taking it at surface value!!! Thank you

Okay then - next question. :D

Is eating not enough calories on your UDs causing you to binge? Has that actually happened or is it a hypothetical question? It's actually a great thing to think about - it's common for people to eat less on UDs than they could because they think that's better than eating all their allotted calories. And it's common for those folks to struggle with DDs more than they should precisely because they didn't take in enough calories on an UD. So it ends up being a counterproductive thing to do - you're more at risk of blowing the subsequent DD.

Dr J contradicts himself a bit in the book by saying at one point that there's no limit on UD calories - you should eat until you're satisfied - but then at another point says you should limit your intake to your allowance and take care not to eat unhealthy foods. The problem is that Dr J is a plastic surgeon, not a diet doctor, and I suspect he doesn't really understand that some of us are never satisfied with our food intake. :D

If what you're currently doing is working for you, stick with it. :)

Sorry can I just ask to be sure, is it possible just to have 2 down days a week and still lose weight
? x

oasis6918 said:
Sorry can I just ask to be sure, is it possible just to have 2 down days a week and still lose weight
? x

I haven't managed more than 2 DDs since I started, and i lost 9 lbs in June. So yes, but its not officially recommended, so if you're new to this follow official instructions first. Every time I try a third down day i feel like cr*p, so either my body's telling me that's enough, or my head is.... Not sure which yet!

Lily said:
Okay then - next question. :D

Is eating not enough calories on your UDs causing you to binge? Has that actually happened or is it a hypothetical question? It's actually a great thing to think about - it's common for people to eat less on UDs than they could because they think that's better than eating all their allotted calories. And it's common for those folks to struggle with DDs more than they should precisely because they didn't take in enough calories on an UD. So it ends up being a counterproductive thing to do - you're more at risk of blowing the subsequent DD.

Dr J contradicts himself a bit in the book by saying at one point that there's no limit on UD calories - you should eat until you're satisfied - but then at another point says you should limit your intake to your allowance and take care not to eat unhealthy foods. The problem is that Dr J is a plastic surgeon, not a diet doctor, and I suspect he doesn't really understand that some of us are never satisfied with our food intake. :D

If what you're currently doing is working for you, stick with it. :)

Interesting. I have a history of binge eating, and there is many a time I've ended a diet with a binge coz I cut back too much. It hasn't happened on juddd, but I always make sure to have over 2000 cals on an UD, esp if exercising.

I think you're right. I've got to stop worrying about this, listen to my body and do what's right for me. I've done 2 DDs this week so far. My next is tomorrow. I'll aim to keep it that way but if I get v hungry I'll change it to an IM. I just don't want to give myself a get out clause on a DD! But nor do I want to force my body to do something it doesn't want to..... Argggh must stop worrying!

Phoenyx said:
Interesting. I have a history of binge eating, and there is many a time I've ended a diet with a binge coz I cut back too much. It hasn't happened on juddd, but I always make sure to have over 2000 cals on an UD, esp if exercising.

I think you're right. I've got to stop worrying about this, listen to my body and do what's right for me. I've done 2 DDs this week so far. My next is tomorrow. I'll aim to keep it that way but if I get v hungry I'll change it to an IM. I just don't want to give myself a get out clause on a DD! But nor do I want to force my body to do something it doesn't want to..... Argggh must stop worrying!

:) It's hard to stop worrying, I know. But I think this might be the one diet where it's possible. And you might find 2 DDs is enough. To some extent, it is gonna depend on how much you eat on the other days. One tip I've picked up from the LCF forum is to have at least a 1000 cal difference between up and down days - so if you have a 500 cal DD, be sure to have at least 1,500 cal on an UD to get the full benefits from JUDDDing.

Even with 2 DDs, you're looking at a weekly calorie deficit of 3000 calories (that's eating 2,000 cals on an UD) and that's without factoring in any additional calories burned through exercise - that's around a pound a week even if you only do 2 DDs.

Very positive way of looking at it, I'm so glad I'm no this forum, it really helps motivate me x

Back