Avoiding salt?

louiser

Trying very hard!
Hiya,

I know when following a ketonic diet we are supposed to avoid salt. I have been told this is as it will make us retain water.

Is this because it is dangerous or is it bad because it gives innacurate weight loss readings?

Ohhh blimey. I must admit I haven't avoided salt. I love bacon and cook my veggies with salt in the water to keep the nutrients in.

Oh my GOD BTW I am getting married on July 28th this year too - you are the second person on here :)

Actually it can be bad to avoid salt entirely, you need salt to replace electrolytes lost, especially in the first week or two. I think Atkins even recommends drinking broth twice a day to help with some side effects at the beginning of the diet. Since you are likely going to be cutting out nearly all processed food your salt intake will naturally drop a lot anyway, i put salt on everything yet when i measure it out it is no where near as much salt as i used to eat in all my ready meals, pizza, chips, etc. It's not healthy to cut out salt 100%, we need a couple of grams at least.

i have never cooked with salt, or added it to my meals, but since starting atkins, i find that i get a lot of cramp if i don't use a little at least. so this WOE must naturally cut down the amount we are eating.

Back