Back at target, still thinking...

Ooo...thanks for that suggestion. I would never have thought of that because for me Epsom salts are what you put on tomato plants when they have a magnesium deficiency, lol! I've been slapping Voltarol onto any bits of me that are hurting, and it does work, but I'd rather not be dependent on it so I'll give the salts a whirl. I'm actually ok at the minute, but I'll get some for the next time I'm not:)

Weigh in this morning was 10st 8.8lbs, so I do appear to have found my maintenance mark for this weight. Last week my average daily intake was 2159 cals (hot cross buns, I'm looking at you!:eek:) and my tracker says I burned 2179, so that's almost spot on for a maintain. Nice!

The thing that really amazes me is that I had two blowout days last week - one was 2600 cals and the other was 2800 cals - but because I logged them with reasonable accuracy and knew the extent of the damage, I was able to compensate sensibly without going to extremes. Before the days of owning a tracker I might well have turned a couple of overeating days into a week, then a month, by which time it would have become my lifestyle again, or, I might have over-compensated by restricting too much in the following days leading to a crash further down the line. Post-tracker, I know where I am on any given day/week/month and that makes me a whole lot calmer and more rational about it all.

I'm thinking this week I will try to eat a bit "cleaner" than I have been of late - fewer hot cross buns, in other words:cool: - and see if I can shave off another half pound towards my informal target of 10st 7lbs. If I can eat this much and maintain at 10st 9 it shouldn't be a significant drop to maintain at 10:7, so I ought to give it a go.

It's a beautiful sunny day again here - cool in the shade but genuinely warm in the sun - so I will be getting outside whenever possible:D

Have a good one, folks!x

The thing that really amazes me is that I had two blowout days last week - one was 2600 cals and the other was 2800 cals - but because I logged them with reasonable accuracy and knew the extent of the damage, I was able to compensate sensibly without going to extremes. Before the days of owning a tracker I might well have turned a couple of overeating days into a week, then a month, by which time it would have become my lifestyle again, or, I might have over-compensated by restricting too much in the following days leading to a crash further down the line. Post-tracker, I know where I am on any given day/week/month and that makes me a whole lot calmer and more rational about it all.

Wow girl you have really nailed it! Balancing intake with exercise perfectly - that's exactly how I want to do things :).

Hot cross buns mmmmm - none in the house here luckily, and am going to try my best to avoid putting naughty stuff in my trolley at Lidl tomorrow. If it's not in the house I can't eat it! :D

Wow scrumbles, you have done so well. Just read your diary and found it really interesting. You have taken such a considered approach to both food and excercise, seeming to learn new stuff and implement it when you need to. You really are the expert on you !

I listened to Michael Moseley talking about excercise and he has certain rules such as if a journey is less than a mile he walks. Always cycles uphill to his local train station and never uses a lift. Another person who sticks to rules is the Dr that fronted the show How to lose weight well, Zand? (lost 6 stone) His rules are never ever eating anything brought in the office even at Christmas or birthdays. They both maintain that these rules are ALWAYS adhered to and the longer they stick to them the easier they become to stick to. This seems similar to the regime you have adopted.

So very,very pleased for you . You really do deserve your slim new bod :)

Wow girl you have really nailed it! Balancing intake with exercise perfectly - that's exactly how I want to do things :).

Hot cross buns mmmmm - none in the house here luckily, and am going to try my best to avoid putting naughty stuff in my trolley at Lidl tomorrow. If it's not in the house I can't eat it! :D

Thanks, Susie! Hopefully I've finally found a winning game and I can make it stick. It's about time, lol! One more week of hot cross bun season then I'm in the clear...:cool::D

Wow scrumbles, you have done so well. Just read your diary and found it really interesting. You have taken such a considered approach to both food and excercise, seeming to learn new stuff and implement it when you need to. You really are the expert on you !

I listened to Michael Moseley talking about excercise and he has certain rules such as if a journey is less than a mile he walks. Always cycles uphill to his local train station and never uses a lift. Another person who sticks to rules is the Dr that fronted the show How to lose weight well, Zand? (lost 6 stone) His rules are never ever eating anything brought in the office even at Christmas or birthdays. They both maintain that these rules are ALWAYS adhered to and the longer they stick to them the easier they become to stick to. This seems similar to the regime you have adopted.

So very,very pleased for you . You really do deserve your slim new bod :)
Hi Lottie, thanks for stopping by and commenting...lovely to see new faces, as it were:D

That's very interesting about Michael Moseley and Dr Zand. It tallies with the programme I saw early this year where the main obesity expert said that what successful maintainers tend to have in common is that they exercise a lot and that they are always mindful of what they're eating. It all comes down to creating healthful habits and making them your new normal, be it avoiding excess calories at work, refusing desserts except on occasion, not picking at kids' leftovers, getting off the bus a stop or two early, or, in my case, making time to dance like an idiot, lol. :D

My new normal seems to be working okay at the moment because I'm still hanging around the 10st 8/9 mark. Saying that, it hasn't been quite normal because I've had a couple of "splurge" weekends (pizza and gin!:D), but the excess from those has been countered by my deficit through the week so I've ended up eating pretty much the same as I burn. I have one more big weekend of eating/drinking (Easter), then I actually can get back to normal, and to be honest I'm looking forward to it - I'm not a huge fan of "banking" calories to spend on weekend excesses because after the event I often feel the excesses weren't as fun as all that, and there is usually a knock-on effect for a couple of days afterwards where I find I'm hungrier than I should be, and I can struggle a bit even eating as much as I do. But, eh...these things have to be done sometimes!;)

Weather here was absolutely glorious over the weekend - I was out in my garden yesterday and in the sheltered spot where I sunbathe my thermometer registered 37C :eek: More like mid-summer than early April! Bonkers.

Anyway, need to crack on, so hope everyone has a great week!x

It tallies with the programme I saw early this year where the main obesity expert said that what successful maintainers tend to have in common is that they exercise a lot and that they are always mindful of what they're eating. It all comes down to creating healthful habits and making them your new normal, be it avoiding excess calories at work, refusing desserts except on occasion, not picking at kids' leftovers, getting off the bus a stop or two early, or, in my case, making time to dance like an idiot, lol. :D

Yep I'm sure that's the only way to do it - especially the dancing like an idiot :D. It's vigilance all the way, really, although as you say, any excess can be counterbalanced with a few deficit days!

Have a great week and enjoy the nice weather xx

Thanks, hun!:D

No dancing for a couple of days because I've been a bit poorly:( but as I've hardly been able to eat anything it's balanced out in a not-so-nice way:rolleyes:

The scales have been predictably kind giving me a somewhat false reading of 10st 7lbs:eek: but I'm not changing my stats 'cos as soon as I start eating properly again I know it'll go back up. Nice to see it for a moment, though!:cool::D

Easter weekend is here and looking okay weather-wise - not as summer-like as it has been, but at least it's not snowing, lol:D

Hope y'all enjoy the holiday!x

Thanks!:p It pretty much has now, fortunately. Still a bit woozy, but I'm eating, drinking and um eliminating normally, so I'm sure I'll be busting some moves very soon:cool::D

Though it was quite horrid being incapacitated like that - the only steps I did on Thursday were to the loo and back :eek:- it was also mildly interesting for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, according to my tracker, if I lie in bed for 24 hours almost totally still, I burn a piffling 1450 calories which tells me just how little I can eat if I'm laid up with an injury!

Secondly, although I was unwell I did manage to choke down a slice of dry bread, scrambled eggs, porridge and a couple of crackers during the day which I duly logged and was amazed to see totalled 965 calories. Now I know that isn't much, but if I hadn't logged it and was asked what I'd had that day I'd have guessed it was no more than about 500 calories, so about half of what I actually had! Clearly I have no accurate sense of how much I'm eating even after more than a year of careful logging, so I'd better not be stopping any time soon!o_O

Weight was up a bit today but still less than my previous low, so I'm going to consider it real and change my stats to 10st 7.6lbs - I have been in a consistent deficit so a small loss was on the cards by now:)

I'm expecting Easter Sunday and Monday to do some damage :cool: but I'll be back on track on Tuesday so any gain should disappear pretty fast.

And then I'm not sure what I'll be doing. I suppose I have to start asking myself if I'm really happy being at the top of a healthy BMI or if I want to be nearer the middle? I have plenty of obvious fat left on my body - stomach, thighs, bottom...the usual suspects! - but is it worth it to be lighter when I know it'll mean eating less?

I just don't know. Based on my last experience of getting into the 10's I thought I would always be grimly hanging onto them by my fingernails if I ever managed to get there again, but that isn't the case this time: I'm really quite comfortable, so I could definitely lose more if I want to, but do I want to?

Decisions, decisions...:confused:

Glad you're on the mend - and I bet you'll lose more once all the swelling and whatever settles down.

Re your BMI and losing more - you seem to me to be pretty settled around your current weight? Maybe just focus on exercises that target the areas you'd like to change...?

Surfacing post-Easter to report that I gained 2.6lbs by Tuesday:eek:, but this morning I'm back down again to 10st 7.2lbs, so it wasn't a "real" gain, happily.:)

Glad you're on the mend - and I bet you'll lose more once all the swelling and whatever settles down.

Re your BMI and losing more - you seem to me to be pretty settled around your current weight? Maybe just focus on exercises that target the areas you'd like to change...?

I think you're right, though it would probably be a nice idea to lose a couple of extra pounds so that when normal fluctuations occur 10:7 is the highest I go rather than the lowest. What I definitely don't want to do is end up on a calorie total that means I have to exercise like an Olympic athlete just to maintain:eek:, so I think I'd be better off sticking pretty much where I am. That will probably be challenging enough as it is!

The gardening season is getting properly under way now - cold nights, but lots of sunny days have really gotten things moving - and I seem much busier than I was, but, disappointingly, I appear to burn a lot fewer calories with my outdoor work than I was expecting. I thought I might be able to back off the intentional exercise a bit, but apparently not. I clearly need a bigger garden - or a much more unruly one, lol.

Oh, I should mention that I am now back to eating breakfast more often than not. I was intermittent fasting for a year and that worked really well at the time, but when I started doing a fairly vigorous workout first thing in the morning I found I needed fuelling beforehand or I risked dizziness/headaches, so that was that. I do sometimes miss having those extra calories for later in the day, but I guess it keeps my hand out of the biscuit tin at night. Mostly.:p

Have a nice weekend, everyone!x

Another "bad" weekend foodwise - pizza!:eek: - but fortunately I'd worked up a bit of a deficit through the week which cancelled it out with about 100 calories to spare. Phew!:D

I probably ought to get a better grip of my weekends, though. I know there are folks whose maintenance plan consists of deliberately eating light through the week so they can splurge a bit at weekends but I'm not sure that that suits my temperament particularly well. I could see myself becoming more and more restrictive on weekdays in fear of what I might get up to at weekends, and that would not be a healthy place to be. Steadiness is what got me here, so that's what I should continue to aim for IMO.:)

Weight this morning was a pound up but I expect that will be the excess sodium I consumed over the weekend and it will be gone in a few days.

Off to plan my week's food - no pizza!:p - and get my Sainsbury's order in, so have a good day, folks!x

OMG I am exactly the same - I WI on a Friday and somehow think that gives me carte blanche to eat like a maniac for the weekend! :eek::oops:

Steadiness - that needs to be my word too!

Not updated for a while because there's been no change...which I guess is a good thing when you're trying to maintain :D

That said, I finally hit 10st 7lbs exactly this morning, so my weight has dropped a fraction over the past couple of weeks in spite of my less-than-angelic weekends. (I did reign myself in somewhat last weekend, so maybe that's why!)

I've thought long and hard about my maintenance plan and decided that the best approach for now is to eat to just within 100 calories of whatever my tracker says I burned the previous day, so if, for example, I burn 2180 today, I will aim to eat 2100 tomorrow, and so on. This should mean that I am in a weekly deficit of approximately 500 calories, which is basically my buffer zone for inaccuracy (or bad weekends!:cool:).

I like the simplicity of this in theory, though I can see some fancy footwork being needed now and again to balance the books when I inevitably find myself not eating to plan. It should also provide a nice incentive to exercise on any given day since failing to exercise will mean short rations the next day, and I won't want that!

But we shall see. As long as I keep tracking and logging I shouldn't go far wrong, I hope!

I remain pleasantly surprised at how cooperative my body continues to be throughout this process. I've been expecting it to start kicking up a fuss any minute and making me outrageously hungry 24/7, but no. Not a murmur. Have I finally convinced it that being a normal weight isn't cause for alarm?? I would be amazed if that's true, but you never know!

Cool and gloomy weather here in the south east...hope the sun is shining wherever you are!x

Not checked in for a while but that's mostly because I'm just treading water now.

Weighed in at 10st 7.4 this morning, which I first hit on 14th April, so I've been maintaining for about 6 weeks at this point. Not exactly a monumental achievement, but pretty good for me, lol.

I've decided I'm not settling there, though. Currently my range can take me as high as 10st 10, and it kinda bothers me to tip back over into "overweight" when I've come this far, so I'm intending to lose another 3lbs or thereabouts so that 10st 7 will be my highest point rather than my lowest one - and even a major pizzafest won't kick me out of the normal BMI category:cool::D

But I'm in no particular hurry. Strangely, I find summer the hardest season to lose weight because if the weather is hot - as it is now - it makes me want to move less rather than more, plus I have a tendency to want to eat my body weight in ice cream:eek:, so...yeah. Not good!

What I am trying to do, slowly but surely, is replace some of the more calorie-dense food items that I have on a daily basis with better choices. For example, I've been in the habit of having a Caramels biscuit with my mug of tea after lunch - totally unnecessary, I just like them! - so I've swapped that for a small apple instead. It isn't much of a saving in calories, BUT, it's better from both a satiety and a nutritional standpoint, so it's a step forward in my view. I still get a small sweet treat with my morning coffee and another one with my afternoon cuppa, so I'm not exactly depriving myself; I'm just trying to alter some of my snacking behaviour so that I no longer expect certain treats at certain times. It's all about building good habits at the end of the day, and if I can do that I might even be able to dial back the number-crunching eventually...gotta hope so anyway!

Hope the sun is shining wherever you are!:cool:

I'm the other way round, strangely, the hotter weather encourages me to eat more greens.

But yes now you mention it, there is icecream!!! I'm trying to minimise the damage by making 0.1% frozen yogurt at home :).

And I am in awe of your food swap there Scrummie! Wow, when you've lost so much already, I just know if it was me, I'd be rewarding myself with the biscuit, instead of an apple - which is why you've done so well over your journey, and I still struggle! :D

Trust me...I struggle too! Which is why I want to ingrain more good habits so that I'm actually making fewer decisions about food on a daily basis - the less I have to think about food, the less likely I am to talk myself into something I really shouldn't have, lol!

We were out all day yesterday, so it was fish & chips for lunch followed by ice cream, then a mini eclair and caramel gateau for tea. Not an apple in sight I'm afraid:p, but yesterday was a planned indulgence, so I have no regrets - though possibly some water weight to shift! I'm back to my normal routine today, so it's all good.

Still nice and warm here, though it's just started raining, so the British Bank Holiday Weekend delivers as per usual! :rolleyes::D x

Not updated for a while because nothing's changed...which of course is a good thing when you're in maintenance :D

I've been within my healthy range for 14 weeks now, which isn't long in the great scheme of things but may as well be a lifetime for me given how poorly I maintained last time I hit my goal!:eek:

I'm 100% sure that it's movement that has made the difference this time. My tracker has made me aware of exactly how much I need to move in order to eat like a normal person (2000ish cals per day) and I make a point of hitting my movement targets every. single. day. (well, almost!:p) I can't pretend it isn't a pain in the rear some days - in this current blisteringly hot weather it definitely is! - but I know that it's the price I have to pay for my ice creams/gin/doughnuts/biscuits etc. so I do it. If I didn't, I would have to severely restrict if not pretty much give up "fun" foods, and I know myself well enough to realise that that ain't happening, lol!

So that's where I stand at the moment, and it's reassuring to know that I can maintain a healthy weight without undue discomfort as long as I remain mindful.

Having said that, the longer I stay at this weight the more I think that come autumn I would definitely like to shift some more pounds, maybe as much as half a stone. When I was last at this weight (actually, I was a few pounds heavier) it would have seemed totally outrageous to try for 10 stone, but this time it feels quite achievable. I would obviously end up on fewer maintenance calories than I eat at the moment, but I don't believe the difference would be all that noticeable as long as I'm canny with my food choices.

But we'll see. For now I'm happy to tread water and enjoy my summer treats in a (semi)responsible fashion.:cool:

Hope everyone's enjoying the lovely weather while it lasts!x:D

Hey Scrummie - great to hear that maintenance is going so well for you!

And I like your pendulum principle - exercising so you can have your treats - although please be careful in this heat! We're going into the high 30s this week and I'm staying indoors by the fan! :)

Back