Attack Baked egg custards

Maintainer

** Chief WITCH **
Makes 6 ramekins
cook in bain marie in preheated oven - 150°C

4 eggs (you can lose a couple of yolks if you're watching your egg yolk consumption)
650ml skimmed milk
4 tablespoons Candarel (or other sweetener)
vanilla

Mix eggs, vanilla and sweetener in a bowl with half the milk. Heat the other half in a jug in the microwave for a minute. Pour bowl (cold) contents gently into warm/hot, then pour into ramekins.

30 min in oven 150°C. If you like "skin", turn oven off and "forget them". (The first time I did this, it was unintentional!!)

Oh (am excited now) I did these at the weekend after you said previously that you made them all the time, they were lovely, deffo a new favourite!
thanks
xxx

Connecting this to the thread about the best galettes, which use just the white of egg beaten, you don't need the whites to make custards like Jo's recipe here. You can use just yolks or a mix of yolks and whole, so if you have a couple of leftover yolks just use them and maybe top up with one or two whole eggs.

Makes 6 ramekins
cook in bain marie in preheated oven - 150°C

4 eggs (you can lose a couple of yolks if you're watching your egg yolk consumption)
650ml skimmed milk
4 tablespoons Candarel (or other sweetener)
vanilla

Mix eggs, vanilla and sweetener in a bowl with half the milk. Heat the other half in a jug in the microwave for a minute. Pour bowl (cold) contents gently into warm/hot, then pour into ramekins.

30 min in oven 150°C. If you like "skin", turn oven off and "forget them". (The first time I did this, it was unintentional!!)

Can you please tell me what measurment of vanilla you use please?

I have Madagascan vanilla essence from Sainsburys so I suppose that will be ok.

I tend to use vanilla pod, or the bought vanilla pod insides (whatever they're called). You don't need much.

has anyone tried putting oat bran in the egg custard? Im aking before hand because when I put oatbran with omlette it was lovely but tried it with scrambled egg and was horrible!! so asking in advance :)

Those sound lovely and I guess with the egg whites you could make meringues; just using sweetner instead of sugar.

Going to try these egg custards tomorrow as it's TOTM and I have dire cravings for something sweet!

Back