Baking disaster!

GymClassHero

Silver Member
We had a picnic on tuesday at group and one of the members made some lush yogurt scones which were only 4 syn's per scone.

I obtained a copy of the recipe and set on my way to make them and i have just given up because they were an absolute disaster :eek: :eek: :cry:

The mixture was too sticky and no matter how much flower i added i couldnt kneed it into a dough to cut into shape, it was just stuck all over my hands and wouldnt form :confused:

I've made normal scones in the past and they were fine. Any ideas what i have done wrong?

You've maybe put too much yoghurt in and your mixture is 'too wet' next time don't add so much yoghurt at first, you can always add more when you are starting to form the dough.

I'm sure you will make them properly next time, could you share the recipe please?

Thank you. X

I think i'll give it a go again tomorrow Donnie and will add the yogurt bit by bit.

I've washed my hands of it tonight so to speak - it made me mad :mad:

They really are tasty - once they are made :p

224g self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp sweetner
56g Saint Ivel Gold Extra Light margarine
1 tbsp skimmed milk
200g pot muller light yogurt (i used cherry)
Fry Light
Fresh fruit to mix and garnish (again i used cherries)

Preheat oven to 230 or gas mark 8

Sift flour, sweetner and salt into a mixing bowl and rub in margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs

Add the milk and yogurt and some of the fresh fruit, mixing with a knife until the mixture forms a soft dough (add a little extra flour if too sticky)

Turn out onto a floured board and knead quickly to a smooth dough

Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut into 10 rounds with a pastry cutter

Put on a non stick baking tray sprayed with frylight, sprinkle the tops with remaining fruit and cook in the oven for 10 mins until risen and golden.

Makes 10 scones at 4 syns per scone

You've maybe put too much yoghurt in and your mixture is 'too wet' next time don't add so much yoghurt at first, you can always add more when you are starting to form the dough.

I'm sure you will make them properly next time, could you share the recipe please?

Thank you. X

^^^ agreed. thats proberly where u went wrong, dont fret, .. if it makes u feel anybetter i spent my last birthday baking a slimmingworld cheesecake, .. made two trips to morrisons and the ingrediants cost me 4 times that of a already baked cheesecake from the bakery, and i was so gutted, it tasted like ****, never tasted such crap in my entire life.. a whole mess of gelatine crap etc i was gutted to say the least, but atleast only eating the buiscuit base meant i lost weight ;) hahaha

^^^ agreed. thats proberly where u went wrong, dont fret, .. if it makes u feel anybetter i spent my last birthday baking a slimmingworld cheesecake, .. made two trips to morrisons and the ingrediants cost me 4 times that of a already baked cheesecake from the bakery, and i was so gutted, it tasted like ****, never tasted such crap in my entire life.. a whole mess of gelatine crap etc i was gutted to say the least, but atleast only eating the buiscuit base meant i lost weight ;) hahaha

Aww bless you! Its horrible when you put all the effort in and its naff!

On a positive note, i have made a cheesecake today and it is really nice. Didnt use gelatin though, used some sugar free jelly crystals instead and it tastes devine!

Those pictures are brilliant!! Seriously made me chuckle. At least you tried! If at first you don't succeed...

I did try again! Look at the bowl in the top pic and then the one in the second pic, different colour cake mixture, i messed them both up by the second chocolate batch was a little more edable lol.

Haha, atleast mine kinda looked like a cheesecake i spose!! LOL

those pickys are pretty funny, but i do feel for u! i tried to make cookies once and they just turned into one big goosy and burnt giant cookie. Luckily it wasnt for me so i wasnt too upset! LOL xx

lol... Sarah Jayne those pics made me laugh!!! I am impressed you tried a second time, as I would have thrown an almighty hissy fit if it were me and never made them again!

lol those fairy cake pics are amazing! :D

on a side note how do u make cheesecake with sugar free jelly? would luv the recipe as i LUV cheesecake and jelly lol!!

X

LOL!!!! S-J those are ace photos. I love the fact that you went ahead and baked the mixture even though it was everywhere! Bet you ate them too???

Hellie - there is one missing, the OH ate it lol. He then continued to scrape the rest of the tray but we ended up throwing them away.

Back