balanced view of CD?

catkins

Hi everyone
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced hard times on CD and ever switched to some other diet and had more success there? mind you I'm probably posting in the wrong section!!

It's just I've read loads about CD and it all seems really positive, which is why I've got my first appointment today with the CDC... I just don't want to give myself an unrealistic view of what's going to happen. Do many people drop out/ not get on with it?

Its tough, there is no denying that, you have to be in the right frame of mind and determined. Some people find the first few days living hell. Tirdness is my killer and my moods can change in seconds. But if you persevere the weight drops off, its not forever, but its certainly not an easy way out either.
I love it as its a no brainer, no food to think about just have 3 meal replacements a day and loads of water, rather than other diets with weighing and faffing about.
Good luck with it, it is worth persevering with

This is it.. I find I'm not very disciplined so on WW etc so it's easy to sneak in naughty foods and just write it off in your points, but it soon gets out of hand and you just feel like not bothering anymore. At least I'm not working at the moment so tiredness is OK! :)

Hi everyone
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced hard times on CD and ever switched to some other diet and had more success there?

no, but I did have it the other way around. Did all the other diets, then found success with CD :D

Okay, I will try to give an balanced view.

I just don't want to give myself an unrealistic view of what's going to happen.

I guess that will depend on what you are expecting to happen ;)
Do many people drop out/ not get on with it?

Oh, I'm sure there are many. Drop out rates for any diet are high. It may be higher for a diet such as this for a number of reasons.

a) It's not very sociable
b) Food is kind of limited ;)
c) Peer pressure to give it up from people who know nothing about it
d) People who do diets such as Cambridge, have often tried every other diet without success.
e) People who do diets such as Cambridge often (though not always) have big weight issues that have often been ongoing for years.

Whether it will fulfill your expectations will depend entirely on what you are looking for in a diet.

I wanted something that could pretty much guarantee me a very good weightloss in as short a time as possible (because I was sick to the teeth of my weight.

I wanted something that would make plateaus very unlikely.

I wanted something that I wouldn't be hungry on, and would decrease cravings.

I wanted something that would actually get me to a decent goal before I completely lost interest in it.

So....yeah...I wanted a magic formula. The closest I could get to it was Cambridge.

But!

If you want a diet that means you can still have your weekly takeaways, or the odd alcky drink, even if it meant slower losses, then another diet would probably do better for you.

Hope it goes well with your first appointment with your CDC :)

Hi Catkins,

I think that everyone has good and bad times on every diet. None of them are plain sailing, and for me its just been the case of trying on a few for size and see which one suits you best.

I'd be lying if I said I'd found it a piece of cake (excuse the pun), because I've wobbled a bit, but then I've wobbled on WW and SW too. For me, the ease of CD is not having to think about food. You pick a shake, mix it up, drink it and you are on your way (and the lack of washing up is ace!)

I did worry that the cost would be off putting for me, but when I totted up how much I spent at work and university on coffees, munchies and lunch I'm quids in.

just my opinion - hth

xxx

Good luck catkins

i've been doing cd now for 4 and 1/2 weeks and it is really hard work on some days, but i've lost an amazing amount in four weeks and i know if i stick with it i will reach goal in no time at all.

Any diet is hard work, its a lot of willpower and not giving in to those pesky cravings, but at least with a vlcd
a lot of the work is done for you, as in not being hungry and the cravings can be less...

But it seems as in any type of diet your head has to be ready and you have to be strong...

Wishing you loads of luck in your weight loss journey

xx biltsy xxx

Hi Catkins,

The diet is hard but if you are in the right frame of mind it is really easy. Unlike others I really didn't try any other diets. I was eating healthy and exercising and I lost almost 2st in 3 months. I joined Minimins learnt about VLCDs and I have never looked back. I have been on sole source for 12 weeks, this week is my 13th and it's been hard but the losses have spurred me on (I have lost 4st in 12 weeks). It is easy to fall back into food but once you do it makes the diet so much harder. The important thing is to be sure you really want to do this because then you don't have to fight yourself to follow it. If you stick to it, don't cheat and snack then it becomes a routine. Before you know it you've done a week, a month, 3 months and well onto your way to a healthier you. All the best x

I too was on ww but liek you it is easy to sneak in naughty food and say it is ok becuase it is in your points allowance but that is not changing bad food habits.

I started CD ss 3 days ago and found the first day hell to be honest. I hated the first 2 flavours i tried and in the evening was so hungry, emotional that i ended up crying.

2nd day was better after finding flavours i could manage without gaging but did not feel as hungry.

Today i woke up positive and feeling good.

I know its going to be hard but the reward is the quick weight loss unlike other diets so that is keeping me motivated.

Had tried every diet from slimming world to cabbage soup and a million in between... I had a stack of diet books taller than me. Nothing worked till I took food out of the picture with CD. In the past I'd scorned diets like CD and thought them extreme and weird, replacing food with 'nasty' shakes... in fact I love the shakes & bars & porridge & I'm not kidding, this diet has turned my whole life around.
I was sceptical, but I am a major convert. After the first two weeks I found the diet easy, it has given me a break from food & a chance to work out my issues with over-eating. If I wobble, I try to learn from it because I do NOT want to go back to the way I was.
I know CD is not for everyone, but I can't praise it too highly... along with the support I get on minis. I wish you all the best with your meeting and hope it works out well for you too.
xxx

I found the diet ok to stick to once you get through the first few days. I've had plateau's but apparently I'm a bit of a freak - most people don't have this. I've also lost slower than others which is annoying and frustrating especially as I AM in a hurry.

But I don't think I regret going on it. I have lost loads more than I would have on any other diet.

Hi everyone...
thanks for all your replies! I just got a bit freaked out when I read the wikipedia page.. But I know that a)if i get ill, stop b) it's not severe ketosis you go into and c)I won't be on this thing forever!
Time to stop reading about it and get on with it now!

Hi everyone...
thanks for all your replies! I just got a bit freaked out when I read the wikipedia page.. But I know that a)if i get ill, stop b) it's not severe ketosis you go into and c)I won't be on this thing forever!
Time to stop reading about it and get on with it now!

Out of curiosity, I just read the Wikipedia page, and I can't blame you for being freaked. But as long as you are sensible, and stop if you are ill, or it isn't suiting you, the I'd say give it a try. It's isn't easy to start with, but I find you soon get into a routine with it, and it becomes second nature. I did it for 19 weeks last year, and lost 76lbs, and am due to re-start on wednesday. I personally find it easier than WW or SW because I never have to think about food, whereas on other diets, it's constantly on my mind, what can I have for dinner, how many points in that, how many points do I have left, etc. My Dr signed a consent form for me to do the diet (this was necessary as I have an underactive thyroid) and the was I see it, if it was that unsafe, would they really have signed it?
Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.:)

yeah exactly i mean if it was dangerous in the TINIEST bit then they wouldn't be able to sell the sachet's would they!! and the advice we're given to drink loads of water will surely be partly for liver and kidney function, so I intend to do that!

Totally agree about WW- that was my problem.. Always thinking and stressing about what I could have/ what was available... how can I cheat.... can I be bothered...

I just got a bit freaked out when I read the wikipedia page..

I've just read that, and it does sound scary doesn't it, but remember they are mainly referring to the US Cambridge which is quite different. Not saying that's dangerous though either, but as far as I know, there have been no deaths in the UK due to the diet ever. There are more reports of people dying because of exercising :D

To take a bit out of the Cambridge book

.........At first it was maintained that the formulation of the diet was contrary to current nutritional principles, despite having a balance of all nutrients. Later on experts admitted the diet was effective but felt it should only be used under supervision..........

And

.....Thousands of general practitioners found that their patients experienced significant weight losses, with very minor or no side effects and in many countries even the Very Low Calorie Diet programme is freely available within the community as well as in primary, secondary and occupational health care......

:cool:

I feel much more reassured now thanks everyone!...

also, how many people die a year because of obesity??? A much more significant number than any sort of diet, I'm certain.

I'm off to have my first Porridge sachet :)

Back