Batch cooking for kids & myself & freezing questions..

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Hi guys

I bought a load of little foil tins (like pukka pie size, sorry to mention pie) and I want to do some batch cooking for a nearly 11 month old & a nearly 3 year old as well as myself.

At the moment I don't have much time with work, kids, etc & as I'm only cooking for us now I thought easiest thing to do was on Sat have a few hours cooking & freezing meals for us. I need cheaper ideas as financially very tight with the break up etc

My ideas so far are: (not many!)

Cottage Pie
Lasagna
Spag bol

I want things that I can freeze & defrost, so can the above be frozen?

I normally do red days but I'm going to give EE a go as think that's easier.

Thanks guys, again...

Hey,

Don't think potatoes freeze very well but I
Might be wrong. If it doesn't, do the
Mince ready for cottage pie. Lasagne and spag Bol will be fine. What about some chunky soups/stews? Sausage casserole, mild curries, fried rice?

Hth xx

Hey,

Don't think potatoes freeze very well but I
Might be wrong. If it doesn't, do the
Mince ready for cottage pie. Lasagne and spag Bol will be fine. What about some chunky soups/stews? Sausage casserole, mild curries, fried rice?

Hth xx

Awww thanks babe, great ideas. I was going to cook individual ones let them cool down then put in a freezer bag in the freezer.

I wasn't sure if potatoes froze well....how do they do it on ready meals or is that not proper potatoes?

Does pasta & rice freeze ok?

Never thought of soups & stews I can do chicken or even turkey as cheaper...

As well as the mince based meals I would make a batch of tomato sauce - just a few tins of tomatoes, onions, garlic, mixed herbs and cook slowly until rich and yummy...

You can defrost safely last minute in micro, and have as pasta sauce, with more veg chopped up in it, or bacon bits, or with chickpeas, meatballs, stir through rice with some other veg and chorizo, as basis for a soup, or with frozen prawns....

As far as I know pasta and rice ok. I know rice has to be properly cooled before freezing and thoroughly reheated.

Also, pasta in lasagne etc is ok, but not sure how something like plain cooked spaghetti might turn out.

Hope you're ok xx

Whenever I make a spaghetti bolognese or something similar I make the bolognese sauce and freeze this. Then whilst I am reheating the sauce I throw some pasta or spaghetti in another pan and it is ready in about ten mins.

How about making a beef stew or chicken casserole.

To be honest BB I do a lot of this myself. I can and do freeze cottage pie, and shepherds pie (allow to cool first)

However, pasta and rice I do not freeze. I do freeze chilli or bolognese sauces though and while they are re-heating, I cook rice or pasta etc.

I also use foil dishes - like the ones you get at the takeaways as they come with lids and ideal for freezing.

Steve

I have heard that cooking potatoes from frozen makes them keep their texture.

If you're going to be doing this on a regular basis, why not prepare your veg in advance too? Par boiled chips will keep a few days in a bag in the fridge, I prepare BNS and store for days too. Broccoli, carrots etc can all be prepped beforehand and then all you need to do is boil/steam/roast it.

I wouldn't freeze the spaghetti either. It only takes 10 minutes to do and you risk overcooking it in the reheating.
Veggie soup will freeze, you can add that tiny pasta whilst reheating.

This is great Batch Cooking and Freezing - Netmums

Lots of good ideas and advice there Karen. Not much more to add.

I freeze most things including home made mince and onion pies and pasties for Paul.

hugs xxxx

Back