BE WARNED....

jo_anne4

If you were not aware of the link between the Cambridge Diet and kidney stones before, please read up on it!

I've done CD a few times over the last 4 years, and over the weekend I ended up having an emergency operation due to kidney stones!! I'm now awaiting a second operation.

Speaking with my consultant, he's said it's most likely due to me having done the CD. I wasn't aware of the link but now i've googled it, i'm well aware!! I'm sure this won't make a difference to any of you, but I wanted to spread the word anyway.

Jo x

Kidney stones arent down just to doing CD. They can occur on any diet. People on SW and WW get them too, they can also happen to people not on any diet.

Its not down to CD as such but it can be down to a rapid weight loss, but other things can be a contributary factor too.

Hope youre ok

how do you know it isnt the Exante thats caused them?

ive read different things how vlcd can give you gallstones ,kidney stones etc.having said that 2of my friends both lost an amazing 5 to 6 stone each one on ww and on sw and both plagued now with gallstones.one had to get her gall bladder removed.docs both put it down to large weight loss . my brother also has gall and kidney stones,he's not over weight but he loves take always and spicy food and doc has said its cos of the processed food he currently eats .they are extremely painful.im no expert but i imagine they are more down to our 'previous diets' and excesses rather that a particular diet to lose weight.

If you have gallstones then they tell you to lose weight...I think I'll take my chances.......

I only have anecdotal evidence

I did the Cambridge diet about three years ago and went down from seventeen stone to about thirteen stone in four months. I loved it, and it changed my life, gave me the courage to leave my ex, change job, move house..

within three weeks off gradually coming off the diet (probably bit more rapidly than I intended), I went in to excruciating agony. It was gallstones, and I was asked in the hospital if I'd been on any crash diet (I thought they had just noticed the stretch marks on my arms!!). I then put on facebook that I had gall stones, and people who I hadn't caught up with in recent years responded with "you haven't just done lighter life, have you? the same has happened to me!"

I ended up in very severe pain (so bless you Jo, I know how the word 'pain' just isn't enough to describe the intensity), and had my gallbladder out six months later.

Colleagues at work criticised me for having done that to myself, but I can honestly say that I still don't regret it - even after the surgery! That probably sounds awful, but the thought of still being stuck in that old life would have been far worse than sitting here with a tiny scar on my tummy and no gall bladder!

I'm on SS+ again now and loving it, and aiming to complete the work i started three years ago. I'm planning on doing it more gradually and healthily this time with SS+ instead of SS, and I suspect it's the coming off gradually that really matters.. not dipping in and out of ketosis or having 'blow outs'.. just being balanced and kind to my body and treating it how it likes to be treated...

all the best Jo.. let us know how you get on xx

any low fat diet associated with rapid weightloss can cause gallstones - no particular diet to blame - its simply because the bile that would normally be secreted to break down fat sits there and crystalises because there is no fat to break down; hence gallstones forming. Ive had my gallbladder out and it is quite a common thing to happen in women, women over 40 and believe or not more common in blondes :)

Its a risk yes, but its a well documented risk and you have to weigh up the benefits of losing weight to prevent diabetes, strokes, heart attacks etc versus the possibility of losing your gall bladder :)

here is a better explanation:

Weight-loss dieting increases the risk of developing gallstones. People who lose a large amount of weight quickly are at greater risk than those who lose weight at a slower pace. Rapid weight loss may also cause silent gallstones (painless gallstones) to become symptomatic. Studies have shown that people who lose more than 3 pounds per week may have a greater risk of developing gallstones than those who lose weight at slower rates.
A very low-calorie diet (VLCD) allows a person who is obese to quickly lose a large amount of weight. VLCDs usually provide about 800 calories per day in food or liquid form, and are followed for 12 to 16 weeks under the supervision of a health care professional. Studies have shown that 10 to 25 percent of people on a VLCD developed gallstones. These gallstones were usually silent—they did not produce any symptoms. About one-third of the dieters who developed gallstones, however, did have symptoms and some of these required gallbladder surgery.
Experts believe weight-loss dieting may cause a shift in the balance of bile salts and cholesterol in the gallbladder. The cholesterol level is increased and the amount of bile salts is decreased. Following a diet too low in fat or going for long periods without eating (skipping breakfast, for example), a common practice among dieters, may also decrease gallbladder contractions. If the gallbladder does not contract often enough to empty out the bile, gallstones may form.

Any similar info on kidney stones?

I don't regret getting gallstones after cambridge a few years ago, but I don't want to now risk kidney stones as well! :/

Back