Beating antipsychotics

Due to me taking risperidone 6mg I've piled on the pounds Infact over the last year and a half I'd say I've put on 5 stone. Which I had previously lost from coming off my medication. Now this worried me enough but last week I found out the weight gains caused me to have high cholesterol. I'm yet to see my gp about this but I've read a lot about high and low cholesterol foods and Ive altered my diet as much as I can. I started this five days ago the minute I find out about my greater health concern than just putting on a few pounds(or a lot of pounds should I say). So now I'm going to keep a diary detailing my highs and lows of fighting this medication however much good it does me otherwise. I've spoken to my shrink about it and he said he will review in three months as to whether I can start being weaned off my meds. I also taken fluoxetine and lamotrigine. Apparently the Prozac can cause weight gain too so that's quite a bummer. Anyhow hello everyone! And welcome to my story xxx

I forgot to mention Ive taken up drinking green tea. I'll have a normal cup of tea first thing in the morning n last thing at night but I between its green all the way. It's meant to have alsorts of health benefits and can help with hunger xx

Welcome Lemonelmo89 and good luck on your weight loss and journey to good health.

Well tomorrow morning in going to weigh in after 11 days so I'm going to see what damage I've done. Hopefully I've lost something because I've tried really hard xxx

Ive lost 12 pounds in a week n a half I'm pretty chuffed with that but I'm well aware a lot will be water weight and you always lose a lot your first couple of weeks but a good start :) xxx thank you for the good luck it worked! Xxx

12 pounds is amazing, well done. Wish I could lose that much, but I'm really not doing very well on that atm. Sorry to hear your meds have had such a detrimental effect on your health as well as your weight. Are you aware of the cholesterol mopping qualities of porridge? It seems that oats in general work miracles in removing bad cholesterol from your blood, might be worth a try.

Oh Hello by the way and good luck on the rest of your journey.

What diet are you doing? Calorie counting too or? Thank you for your kind words...I never knew that about porridge I'll bear that in mind. Do you think the oatsosimple sachets have the same effect? Xxx

I think it's anything with oats, so oatsosimple should help too. I found out about it years ago when my uncle had the routine turning 50 review at his doctors. They called him back to retest his cholesterol cos it was really low for a man his age. (he's now late 70's) they analysed his diet full fried breakfast every day elevenses with butter on everything red meat and two veg lunch puddings every day afternoon snack of sandwiches and cakes and biscuits and eg a sausage roll for tea or a mutton pie and more bread and butter and biscuits and finally a snack last thing with a cup of tea. (he was a very physically active farmer). Doctors were amazed he had arteries that still worked and kept quizzing him till he said he also had a bowl of porridge before the full cooked breakfast each day and then they had a lightbulb moment and stopped investigating as the oats explained it all. I've since told loads of people including a neighbour who didn't want to go on statins but docs were insistent. He's now lowered it himself and docs are off his case about it.

Hope it works for you, and it's also a good filling breakie that isn't too high in cals for us folks wanting to lose weight.

I'm officially doing Slimming World but it's more the seefood diet at the moment, I see food and I eat it. Also got quite a few Christmas meals to contend with so in effect having a bit of a pause in dieting and will get back on it properly in January I think.

Don't blame you christmas is a tough time of year to diet. I've got a docs apt about my cholesterol tomorrow I'm hoping they allow me to try changing my diet before they load me with statins xxx

Due to me taking risperidone 6mg I've piled on the pounds Infact over the last year and a half I'd say I've put on 5 stone. Which I had previously lost from coming off my medication. Now this worried me enough but last week I found out the weight gains caused me to have high cholesterol. I'm yet to see my gp about this but I've read a lot about high and low cholesterol foods and Ive altered my diet as much as I can. I started this five days ago the minute I find out about my greater health concern than just putting on a few pounds(or a lot of pounds should I say). So now I'm going to keep a diary detailing my highs and lows of fighting this medication however much good it does me otherwise. I've spoken to my shrink about it and he said he will review in three months as to whether I can start being weaned off my meds. I also taken fluoxetine and lamotrigine. Apparently the Prozac can cause weight gain too so that's quite a bummer. Anyhow hello everyone! And welcome to my story xxx
Good luck to you. I had been on prozac myself a few years ago, and know it's nasty. I will vouch for the weight gain. I was on it for 15 months, and when I first started I weighed 12 stone. When I forced myself off of it 15 months later, I weighed 19 stone! Worse still, I remember absolutely nothing about that period of time in my life! Anyway, you seem to have made a good start, so keep it up! :)

So I go to the Drs about my cholesterol which I've been really vigilant with for two weeks only to find out it's my vitamin d levels that are low so need medication for that and increased exposure to sunlight next year. I had the flu jab while I was there. And we discussed my weight she prescribed me the weight loss drug orlistat so let's see how that goes! Xxx

Good luck lemon, I've had a slight taste of what you've been through, and I know it's tough. Weight gain via medication is an under-appreciated difficulty. Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

My cholesterol was fine, it was 4 whatever that means . No I appear to be the opposite to u my medications begin with an f I think and I have to try n get more sunshine as my vitamin d was low.because of a drug interaction I can't take my morning meds between 2 hours of my orlistat so I'm now starving not to mention I have work tonight. It's gonna be a loooong day xxx how r u? Xxx

Great loss so far! Well done :)

Back