Beelishy's VLCD Weight Loss Adventure!!

Thanks lovelies. I think youre both right. Its a blood sugar thing. Im not diabetic...I know that for certain. My bypass surgeon told me after surgery that it is virtually impossible for me to develop diabetes due to something they do to your guts when theyre in there hacking away (lol. ugh). Aside from that, I was tested not long ago...6 months or so i think. anyway, I just dont get why the diet would be causing this NOW. Again! :/ Ive just had an extra pack (pancakes) and I hope that will work.

The extra pack isnt a huge deal, no. But if thats how I have to do it to stay on packs it means that this will no longer be a ketogenic diet as my carbs will be too high for that. In which case...I dont really see the point. Im really frustrated and confused.

You will still be losing and stay in ketosis on 5 packs Hun. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. Your health is more important than anything.

M x

Just did a mock up on MFP and my carbs will be over 90 as I dont strictly do S&S (I mix with Exante, which is higher carbs and cals) and aside from that... it will be so expensive. I can barely afford it as it is. lol. Gonna have a long chat with the hubby tonight and see what he thinks.

Sad times.

Hugs, sorry to hear you're having a funny turn. What about having extra meal, like quorn sausages/babaybell lights and veg? Though it would be over your cals it wont take you over your carbs and you should remain in ketosis? Maybe it is just too few cals for you this time around? Might be worth a shot before packing it in. Keeps us posted, hope it works out ok xox

I as doing that before Cornish...I had quorn everynight for dinner but I was only having 3 packs. I wasnt losing well at all on that. Strange...I know. maybe it wasnt enough Maybe 4 packs and a meal. Seems like so much for vlcd though. Ugh. I dunno. I just ordered a BUNCH of packs. And i was just getting back into my groove, mentally.

I will have a chat with the hubster and see what we come up with. Im not going anywhere though. I will still be here because no matter what diet i do i will get to goal. I am NOT giving that up. No way. xx

I as doing that before Cornish...I had quorn everynight for dinner but I was only having 3 packs. I wasnt losing well at all on that. Strange...I know. maybe it wasnt enough Maybe 4 packs and a meal. Seems like so much for vlcd though. Ugh. I dunno. I just ordered a BUNCH of packs. And i was just getting back into my groove, mentally.

I will have a chat with the hubster and see what we come up with. Im not going anywhere though. I will still be here because no matter what diet i do i will get to goal. I am NOT giving that up. No way. xx

K,

I'd go get checked out by a doctor -- just to be safe. It is not uncommon for post-bypass individuals to develop hypoglycemia.
http://www.healio.com/endocrinology...a-a-serious-complication-of-bariatric-surgery

If you read the S & S website and diet info -- you are probably having too few calories for your current weight. You should lose weight on five packs -- or four packs and a low carb meal.

Or better yet -- porridge pancake (breakfast), boiled egg (snack), pack (lunch), some celery sticks or steamed veggies (from S & S list) with another pack (dinner) and a shake or protein drink if still hungry or feeling shaky.

Last edited:
Oh pooey news. I agree with advice given, stagger your 4 packs and add in low carb meals or snacks to keep blood sugar stable and see if that helps.

I really hope you can find a solution.

if you do consult a doctor, try and find one who is aware of vlcds. It'd be very easy for a doctor to just write any symptoms off as the diet and tell you to stop it, without finding a workaround. And I'd hate to see you have to stop the diet unless you actually need to, as you are doing so well.

good luck :)

Hope you feel better hun and can figure out a solution for you. Hugs Xx

Hi guys.

So firstly, the doctor. Nope. As phoenyx said, my gp would just say "go off the diet". Theres no point as I wouldnt get any ACTUAL help or clarification.

That said, I got a bit worse after hubby got home and he got me a clementine and half a banana (zoe nabbed the other half) and some water. Within half an hour I was better again.

So we sat and talked about it and we both agreed that this diet is only worth doing if you can do it properly, or even KINDA properly. Which seems Im not gonna be able to do. This has happened to me before. Exactly the same. The on-the-verge-of-dizziness, the light-headed, the sweating, shaking, loss of colour. And itching. Last time, I roke out in itchies and that happened again this afternoon. I had forgotten about that. Until today when it happened again.

Anyway.

We talked. And we looked at everything....trying to see the big picture. And we came up with this:

I started WW. It was bizarre. We were talking about it and we came to SW and I said that I dont want to do that again. So he said, what about WW? I said that I wasnt really overly keen as I dont like the counting but that I had been told that there was some non-counting plan available. So maybe that might be a good idea. I need structure but I also need easy, low prep and low cost. So we both had a look online and I was looking around trying to get an explanation of how that non-counting (I didnt know what it was called) plan worked..he was looking up the classes. Our local, closest one was at 6:30 tonight. So he goes "oh, it says here theres one at linskill...at ..oh..6:30! You could go!" It was 6:08. I had to walk there and its about a mile away. And I had no shoes on. So in a split second we did the "should i? do you think I should? what if its crap. what if im crap? What about the cost? we cant really afford it. and why cant I just do my packs, i just want to do my packs!!*sulk* will i be crap at this? do you really think i can do it? will i justbe wasting money again?" and he said "you cant put a price on health. we know that better than anyone (a reference to his illness) so shut up about the money bit. and you will be fab. just give it a chance and really try to understand it and learn it and follow it and give it at least 2 months to really work for you. and you will be fine. i dont know why the packs arent agreeing with you, but this has happened before and although i was happy for you to be on them, even though its a very controversial diet, because you were very happy and your weight losses were fantastic...i am more happy for you to do something that i know isnt going to do you any lasting harm and seeing as youve had these reactions twice now, you should really just try this WW thing and see how you get on. youre gonna have to go back onto real food eventually anyway and youre the lightest youve been since we got married. so you have much less far to go to get to your goal this time. you look fantastic, youve done fantastic and youre much nearer to your goal and you can do it. and you will do it. now get your shoes on and go. i love you. "

And that....that is why i married this boy.

I got my shoes on and went to go. I got to the door and he went into the living room to be with the girls...and i stood there for 3 seconds before i broke down in tears. and ran back to him, tears streaming. and i threw my arms around him and said..."thank you for supporting me. i love you" and then i wiped my tears on his shoulder and ran out the door. hahaha because we are THAT couple.

so im going to give WW a go. its the simple start plan this week...for everyone, it would seem. so im giving that a try and it looks much better than the counting points Sh!te. lol. i cant be doing with all that. I havent the time. This is just a list of what you can have and you just get on with it. And coming from VLCD the list of REAL food seems so generous. Everyone else was whinging that all their faves werent on the list or were on as an extra treat and im like thinking "are you fkn nuts? this is loads to choose from!" haha

so Im going to stay here at least for a while, if you guys will still have me. im going to be a bit wobbly for a while i expect, while i get a handle on this MASSIVE change. and while i get my head around eating again...and the plan...and everything.

I actually expect a bit of a gain this week. Glycogen and all that. So. Im going to still use my diary just like before and plan all my meals here and on MFP...and ...more...next week Im going to start working out again. Im actually kinda (ok, really..the more I think about it) excited about that. I hate exercise...dont get me wrong. But I LOVED how i felt when i did it...and what it did for my body. amazing!!

its all happened so quick. it was the LAST thing id ever had thought would have happened today. but. thats how life works....for us anyway.

so we are gonna work out what to do about my packs tonight/tomorrow. I have...LOADS.

So here we go...new year and an unexpected new chapter!

Who's with me? lol

Im going to bed now. Head is spinning with everything that has happened today Im just exhausted. x

Aaaaawwww! Do men like those even exist?!!

Hun. I will be here supporting you and your journey whatever plan you choose to follow.
Proud of you for making a hard decision to move plans and if you don't know what to do with the packs I'll happily have them ;)

Hugs.

M x

Ooh how interesting! I really want to see how you do on the simple start plan. I couldn't get my head round it - i love the idea but I went a bit carb mad! I'm going to calorie count for a bit until I get my back to school routine established then give it a go. I loved the fact you could switch between counting one day (eg if you are going out for dinner) and then the no count plan the next. I found it much easier to understand than slimming world. I didn't give it a proper chance though because I'm so busy at the moment.

Can't wait to see how you get on! Good luck! I'm all excited for you!

Good luck hun. Ur hubby is a good man. Hes right, ur health comes first xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Aww that was do touching!! Like from the movies almost. ;) you'll go great whatever plan you follow. Your health is the main thing and you have to listen to your body. Sometimes a bit of change and an injection of something new can do us the world of good! How exciting!! Xx

Awwww -- I think I love your husband! How was the meeting? Did you like the leader? The group?

You can point your packs -- I know you're doing the "no count" one - but you can use a couple of packs a day until you use them up. A packs plus WW combo. If you use MFP you can track your nutrition in that --

OMG MAL I LOVE YOU! can I swap him for my big grumper?! haha.

I knew you'd sort yourself out you little superstar, just getting your shoes on and getting your butt down that meeting! That's so great :) I'll also be interested in this new WW plan because on points I was always STARVING as I'm short and I'd only get 18 for the day it was the WORST!

So you'll have all your little books and leaflets to read, it's exciting starting any new plan isn't it :) AND you get stickers when you do well :D :D (worth the £5 a week haha)

And I know it's slower, but eating real food, you are more likely to keep the weight off at the end because you'll already have an idea of what you can have. Coming off vlcd is such a gamble I'm terrified (hehe not even halfway to goal yet) so many stories on here of, I lost 6 stone put it all back on, I lost 3 stone, put 4 back on etc....

GOOD LUCK! and lots of love :D :D

Awww, shucks. You ladies are brilliant, you know that? I love love you all. <3 THANK YOU.

So this morning. day 1 of THE NEWNESS. lol

I woke up and got weighed, as usual. We had to order a takeaway last night because of the shambolic, crazy way the evening ended up going. So I figured, eff it..Im too tired to worry and i got pizza. I was actually really craving a kebab but Im REALLY trying to stay veggie as close to 100% as possible and zoe wont eat it. and I needed something I could share with zoe. so we got a 9inch pizza with cheese and mushroom and it was greasy and gaggy and 6 months ago i would have loved it but last night...bleurgh. but, i ate it because i was ravenous and tired and just wanted to go to bed.

and in true Beelishy fashion - Ive stayed the same this morning. HOW? lol But ok! yay.

236lbs.

So I got up this morning and got weighed and then i kinda....didnt know what to do once I had done my usual routine of getting the kids and hubby their breakfast and making myself a cup of coffee and getting my water. I sat down and just kinda...didnt know what to do. Do I eat something? Should I put it off and save it for later (hahah such vlcd mentality, huh? save it for later)? So then it dawned on me. I need to plan. PLAN. Its what I do in ALL aspects of my life. I feel unsafe if i dont have a plan. So Ive decided Im going to plan out my entire week and then I will KNOW what to do when I get in the mornings. lol. And when I plan and I can avoid what Phoenyx said - going too carb heavy. That was my big problem with SW. I ate nothing but pasta and potatoes and some fruit and veg thrown in. No Bueno. So Im going to try to plan my meals AROUND protein of some kind. Probably mainly eggs. Or beans. Or Quorn.

So Im gonna throw together a plan for today's meals and then I have a charity coming to collect loads of stuff (including a wardrobe!) so I have to get the baby gate off the door to that room so he can get it out...and move some furniture around so hed has a clear path ...and tidy up in there too. And then dishes. Laundry and a couple of other things. Tonight, I will go in the other room and leave the kids in with hubs so that I can create a masterplan of meals for the next week or two. I think i will stay on this kind of plan for a few weeks until i am very comfortable with foods again and with making healthy choices because i really dont fancy trying to learn all of that and the points stuff right off the bat. So I will ease into it.

Anyway. Food today I think will be -

B - Half a banana, crumpet topped with 2 scrambled eggs and a dairylea light cheese slice melted on top and hot sauce (1ET)

S: clementine or apple (if i want it)

L: small jacket potato topped with either half tin of baked beans or egg "mayo" (made with boiled eggs, american mustard and a little low-fat natural yog)

S: clem or apple (if I want it)

D: Bag of salad with egg "mayo" or a spag bol pack on top.

Evening Snack: WW bar (1ET)

Part of me is a little hesitant to use packs in case its an allergy thing, as opposed to a blood sugar thing...but the fact that i recovered so much after eating something, suggests its probably NOT allergies.

So we shall see how I get on today. I havent put it into MFP but I will tonight.

Back