Beelishy's VLCD Weight Loss Adventure!!

(((((HUGS)))))

Hi there - just read through your last few pages. Wow. You are doing really well. I know you really don't feel as if you are but you really are!

Stick with your plan.

Hi guys.

I cant stay away! lol

237.8 this morning. My binge consisted of 4 WW bars (just finished off the whole box!) and another crumpet with butter and jam. Not horrific. The WW bars on average are 80-90 cals and around 11-13 carbs. As with most WW things, theyre "real" but very small. lol. Anyway. Its done. I just wanted to get rid of them. I think. I know that sounds weird. Anyway.

Lots has happened. Mostly a lot of talking (me and hubs). And me, sorting things out in my head. Why was I so resistant with WW. Why was I so scared? Why did I feel helpless and confused and...like a kid left on my own?

I will paste a conversation I had with Lou on fb to explain:

ugh. im keeping my packs. i cannot get my head around WW. and i realised that i have a sub-conscious resistance to it as well...because when i was 9...that summer i went to visit my granny in another state for the summer holidays and when i got back i had gained 30 (yes THIRTY) lbs. in 6 weeks! and my mom went off it and she was brutal to me...called me a fat pig and how disgusting i was..etc etc....and she literally dragged me by my hair to the car...and then into a WW meeting. and i was shoved on this diet. so there are horrible feelings attached to WW, in general. Anyway. I had a horrific day with it yesterday...and was just sobbing from about 4 til hubby got home around 5ish. And I made their dinner and then we sat and talked...and i dredged all this crap up. Then hubby said well what do you WANT to do, in your heart and in your head? and I said "My packs. I want to be able to do my packs. I understand it. I know it. I trust it. It works. Its easy. Its terribly hard, but its easy." And he said well lets talk about that for a bit then...and he said "do you think that maybe your funny turn had to do with you going straight back into a severe regime, after having 2 and a half weeks of pure greed? We talked about how I really had eaten everything and anything for over 2 weeks...i didnt even THINK about being good or making a healthy choice..or anything. if it was there, i ate it. and then i went back on doing 3/4 packs a couple of eggs per day. he reckons my body just freaked out and went into starvation.
which would agree with the first time it happened....i was only doing 3 packs and an egg a day and my body went into starvation. so he suggested that i try, instead, to wean myself back on. start with 6 packs for a couple of days. then knock one off and do 5..then back to 4...and so on. So that is what Im going to try, from today.

Really pleased. It did cross my mind too that you were going from one extreme to another but you were quite determined and the plan seemed sensible. I suppose to that if someone has something scary happen to them healthwise then you don't want to suggest something that may make them worse. Those bars were clearly a huge trigger for you. You didn't eat a lot but I think it's often about how we eat than what. You sound calmer already and will probably still lose on the 6 packs. Just monitor and adjust. And your hubby came up trumps again!

Thanks everyone. :) xx

I had quite a lot of negativity in my childhood. Tons of issues there. But Im glad that I was able to it out and get the bottom of this particular issue.

Anyway...just had my bar and Im planning my food for tomorrow on MFP. :) Definitely feel so much better. Loads.

OH! And Music Magpie. Omg. Horrible!

I got all my 110 things put on their system and they said £82, right? Great. So they had an option - FREE courier collection, as it was so much stuff. I arranged for the courier to collect and the soonest was Wednesday (this past wednesday). It said the courier would come any time between 8am-8pm. I was gonna be in all day anyway so that was fine. NO ONE TURNED UP.

So the next day i got on chat with them and she said they hadnt been notified by the courier that they hadnt come and did I want to drop off the stuff instead. I said I couldnt because its super heavy (2 boxes!) and she was like well the next date for courier collection is Saturday (today). So I said tha would be fine.

7:53pm and guess what? No one has turned up, again!

Im not really impressed :(

Ive decided to just alternate. One day the full thing, then one day just the 20 min cardio. So Ive just done my cardio now. Gonna go recover with some water and my hubby and girls and the TV. Im not really out of breath, or terribly sweaty..which is amazing and makes me feel awesome. I feel like Ive worked out...not like I could drop at any minute...like i used to when I did this dvd lol yay

So proud of you chicca. I'm inspired by how well balanced you are and how you're capable of adjusting to the change in circumstances. Your new plan of action sounds like a good one. I shall be looking forward to seeing your progress. As far as exercise is concerned I would start slow first and up the intensity/ frequency on a 2-3 weekly basis. One of the reasons why you were so sore when you tried kettlebels for example was because you went in hard straight away. Give your body and muscles a chance to adjust.
Your plan for hubby's birthday sound so lovely. Bless your heart. You guys are so cute! ;)

M x

Hi K,

I'm glad you didn't "write us off".

I still think you should go get checked by your doctor -- don't mention the diet -- just get blood work/urine done. There is a reason that many organizations like Cambridge Diet, Lighter Life, Jenny Craig, etc. require a doctor's note. You have your two little ones, plus M to think about -- and your symptoms were worrying.

I'm American -- like you. The US medical protocol was a colonoscopy at age 50 (if no family history). It as now been lowered to 45. I'm going on the 31st to have one, plus an endoscopy as my father has has multiple ulcers that were undiagnosed and a Pre-cancerous stoma removed. I have no symptoms - I have already procrastinated about doing this... But I keep thinking how unfair it'd be to my family if I might have caught something and avoided problems.

One of my primary reasons for wanting to lose weight, get fitter and stay that way -- is because not only do I want to be able to look after my family... I don't want to be burden on them. They have their own lives to lead... I don't want them looking after me because I didn't take better care of myself.

Nag over.

Thanks everyone. :) xx

I had quite a lot of negativity in my childhood. Tons of issues there. But Im glad that I was able to it out and get the bottom of this particular issue.

Anyway...just had my bar and Im planning my food for tomorrow on MFP. :) Definitely feel so much better. Loads.

MFP is a great tool. My sisters (one working on her PhD and the other a Nurse Practitioner -- Higher skill level than physician assistant) did a lot of research before supporting my decision to do Lighter Life. Their advice was -- doing the diet was probably safe for me, but I should also do some cardio work daily. (To protect my heart muscle.). They also said that research showed that people will lose as much weight on 880 calories and day as they will on 600. This is because at 600 Your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down dramatically. They also said that long-term VLCDs have been shown to lower your metabolism post-diet and that you will be more likely to regain the weight plus some if you do not lower your calorie intake by 15% over the recommended for your weight of up your level of fitness (which burns some calories, but more importantly boosts your metabolism).

Bob Harper of biggest loser recommends your daily protein intake to be number of grams at 1/2 your BMI 25 weight. So, I should weigh no more than 140 -- my grams of protein should be 70. VLCDs aren't usually that high in protein -- so your adding eggs is a great way to boost your calories to closer to 880 and add extra protein.

Also, on the fitness bit -- most trainers recommend alternating legs and back one day with arms and abs the next. Daily cardio, and one day in 7 total rest. Also, my son wrote a research paper in which he complied information on Whey Protein and fitness/weight gain/weight loss/ muscle building - he found multiple sources (studies) that showed that women who weight trained and had a post-work out whey protein shake not only built more muscle than women who did not ave the shake, but they also LOST weight. Their muscle to fat ratios improved and muscle burns more calories than fat (even post work out).

So, I think you should focus on legs and back one day, them arms and abs the next with daily cardio. And, once you've improved your fitness enough either try the kettle bells or some other form of weight training again and follow your work out with a protein shake.

I know years ago Syracuse University did a study on women and weight loss - the women who lost the most weight (and had the greatest over all health improvement) were the ones who weight trained. They did not change their calories intake nor did they do any cardio. They averaged 45 pounds lost in 6 months (or something like that). I knew someone who was a part of the study - she kept the weight off by continuing to weight train, but at not as high a level.

Morning!

So did I tell you guys about Edinburgh? Hubby's 45th birthday is on the 29th of this month. And I couldnt bear the thought of letting it go by without doing something nice or getting him something nice. Since I couldnt think of anything to buy him and we are planning on moving away later this year anyway (and therefore in the process fo slowly getting RID of things..lol ) I decided to have a look at train tickets to london. Whoa...way too expensive. it was upwards of £200 each way! so that was a no go. Sad, because I booked us to go to London for his 40th and it was a total surprise to him :D We didnt have kids and although it was FREEEZING we had a nice couple of days. So then I thought...hmm. Edinburgh? So I checked and I got us train tickets - 4 seats (its impossible to try to buy 3 seats and hold zoe on my lap. I need the extra space!), return - BOOM!! £67 quid. Bargain! So I booked those and booked us into the Premier Inn - Princes street. its like a 10 minute walk from waverly and gets AWESOME reviews on trip advisor. Its a great location and since we will be leaving on a saturday after he gets home from work and coming home monday early afternoon..we dont have a LOT of time to spend on getting around. So the good location was worth the astronomical cost of accomodation. Ahem. I keep telling myself that, anyway :) Its quite possibly (and almost certainly) his last birthday in his home country...and its his 45th. I had to do something with a bit of wow to it.

Im really excited and trying to think of a cute/romantic/clever way to present his gift to him on his birthday (his bday is 29th jan...we're going on the 1st of Feb). Im going to bake him a cake (not having any, dont worry!) and I have a super cute card thats the felt of a poker table with some little playing cards on the front. (vegas, baby! lol) and now I gotta figure out how to present the gift. I was thinking a huuuge box. And wrap it up. lol. Or a box in a box in a box...and each one wrapped...like pass the parcel. haha. Im open to suggestions!

Anyway. have a great day today, everyone :)

We went to Edinburgh last February. It was fabulous. Such a beautiful city to walk and you can buy the hop-on/hop off tickets that good for all the busses at the tourist info by the train station. We bought regular daily bus tickets (for the city busses) and used those plus walked. We had our car, but we left it in the garage. It was cheaper and easier to bus it or walk than to find parking. Plus, you see more.

We have Merlin Passes and used those for the dungeon. And, we have English Heritage passes those were good for the castle. We were able to use Tesco Days Out vouchers for the Camera Obscura. We Pre-book the zoo (very pricey) to book our panda viewing time slot on DD's birthday. There are loads of things for younger kids to do. Pick up brochures at tourist info and look for coupons/discounts.

Edinburgh also gets a lot of shows -- but as your children are so young, they probably can't attend most theatrical performances. But, you could get tickets to see "Last Vegas" -- probably, better to get a sitter on his birthday and go w/o the kids.

Enjoy! We certainly did. Great Birthday gift!

Ive decided to just alternate. One day the full thing, then one day just the 20 min cardio. So Ive just done my cardio now. Gonna go recover with some water and my hubby and girls and the TV. Im not really out of breath, or terribly sweaty..which is amazing and makes me feel awesome. I feel like Ive worked out...not like I could drop at any minute...like i used to when I did this dvd lol yay

Cross posted! You seemed to have it sussed! Good going! :D

As we are so close, we've actually been to Edinburgh twice before. ;) And Glasgow once but that was just to get my ILR waaayyy long time ago. lol. It wasnt as nice as Edinburgh.

We took tabby to the Zoo in 2011 for her birthday. The pandas hadnt arrived yet, but even till I wasnt impressed, ive gotta say. The London Zoo is way better. I LOVE it.

We may do Our Dynamic Earth (did that years ago, pre-kids) or maybe the castle...never done that. We'll see. Im excited :)

I just had my lunch (2nd pack). Enjoyed it. Feel so much calmer now. And I have so much energy now. Not sure if its the general positivity or the exercise or what. lol.

Back