Beelishy's VLCD Weight Loss Adventure!!

Yeah. I go nuts for cheese. So ive deliberately bought the little packets of those nibbles and a pack of red leicester slices. So I know exactly how much is in it. And I generally wont over-indulge (strangely)...unlike blocks of cheese..or grated. Im far more liberal. Ahem. LOL. (or, greedy. we could also call it greedy)

So today Ive had the salad...and thats it...well apart from 2 cups of coffee and 1L of water (still workin on my water for today) and not only am i not actually hungry but i feel GREAT. Seriously. The best I have felt for WEEKS.

I know I will almost certainly show a gain tomorrow....if not tomorrow, within the next few days. But I hope it doesnt last too long and starts going back down again soon.

lol.

I had a little "snack" of 2 scrambled eggs with a handful of spinach and 2 mushrooms and a slice of light cheese a few hours ago. And then I just had dinner which was quorn stirfry. Bloomin gorgeous. Totally gonna gain tomorrow. Im starting to kinda freak out. But I know that everything Ive had is healthy and fine. And Im keeping the freakout under control. I must not be a slave to the number on the scale.

Morning

220.4 today - so not too bad. Im still expecting a huge gain at some point over the next few days.

I feel so shattered this morning. Not sure why, I slept through the night, mostly. But I could easily go back to bed and sleep for hours.

Today's food:

Breakfast: chicken and cheese salad

Lunch: Quorn with cauli-rice

Dinner: spinach, mushroom and cheese scrambled eggs

Snack: sf jelly

Hiya,

I've completely lost track with what you are doing now... Have you switched to just low carb eating rather than the packs?

Morning! I've been reading -- just didn't comment. I think you are wise to take z break from packs and consume a more varied diet.

I know you get Vit B shots - have you had any other blood work recently? Bruising easily when you haven't in the past is a concern.

Im basically doing vlcd but with food instead of packs, Cheeky :)

I havent had any bloodwork done, no.

Having a cup of tea to save on milk carbs....as I dont have milk in my tea (bleh). Not a huge tea fan anyway, really. But its warm and Im freezing. So it'll do. lol

ok. yeah. no. I cant do tea. Ive had half a mug and just..bleh. I dunno if I make it too strong or what. but its vile. I loved iced tea. but hot tea is not for me. *sigh*

Im freaking out, you guys.

What if I wont be able to lose weight? Ugh. Ive tried so many different things that have simply never worked. And worse, often I ended up bigger than when I started.

Im afraid this is just going to make my weight creep up and up and up. :/

Oh man. Thats my worst nightmare (ok...gaining loads would be worse..but yeah). Im at about 33g carbs today. But seriously freaking out. Im trying to just tell myself that this is just a "food" week (or two) and I will go back on packs after so not to sweat it. Even though that isnt/wasnt my initial intention.

Just to be able to get past the fear.

It isnt working.

I just had my lunch and felt horribly guilty and SCARED the whole time. It was cauli-rice with "bbq" quorn pieces and mushrooms. Nothing bad at all. And heres me...still absolutely petrified. *sigh*

Hey Missus how are you feeling this morning? What do the scales say? Your food sounds delicious, and a perfect choice - the only way that you'll put the weight back on (and more) is if you STOP doing what you're doing, say 'what the hell', put your face in a pizza and a ritz chocolate bar ;) and ignore the scales for about a year

Please try not to worry!!! (I can talk...I'm only saying that cos I'm back down what I was showing as a gain yesterday haha)

You're doing great!! You obviously need the nutrition, the shaky spells by themselves are bad enough, but feeling -'egh' and bruising just proves the point. And how delicious is salad!! Seriously...who knew! Everyone should be forced to give up sugar for 3 months then eat a salad, they'll be all 'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm'!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx you're doing FAB xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and even in cambridge etc...people work 'up the steps' when they're nearer goal

And you haven't painted yourself into a corner, in a few weeks or something, when you're 'nourished' you can always go back onto packs for another stint to chivvy it along, it's not like you can never go back :D

I actually think that a real sensible way to do vlcd would be in stints of, say, 6 weeks - then refeed, maintain that loss for a month, then another 6 weeks - refeed, maintain....etc then you'd be so much more likely to maintain at the end instead of losing it all in one go then setting yourself loose in McDonalds (I don't mean 'you', I really mean 'me' haha)

Morning

221.6 today. So creeping up a little every day so far.

Nope. Cant deal with it. I WAS 38lbs away from goal at one point. Im now 41.6 and heading further away every day. We are off to the farm today. Im going to enjoy it with the girls today (not gorge myself..i just mean as in..not worry or think about my weight or the diet etc,) and then tonight starts my soup-a-thon.

Sunday or Monday I will start back on packs. Im gonna place an order later I think.

Lou, you make a lot of sense....Im just too far from goal too be able to cope with the transitioning weight gain/stabilizing. *sigh*

but at least i know what/how do to it when i get to the point where im ready to.

and definitely going to get some good multi-vits and minerals for both me and hubby. any suggestions? xx

I'm bit clueless on vitamins because I'm a vitamin sceptic haha, though saying that since OH has started on the vit c he isn't ill nearly so often (still more than normal people but...)

I don't know if expensive ones are better or of you're paying for the brand....not sure :)

Ill be having my first pack in almost a week at lunch today!! I've only got three cheesy pasta left after that I need to get myself organised. Payday in a week got to get through!!

Have a lovely day today xxx soup fest can wait until after farm fun :)

Morning chick,

I am usually a multivitamin sceptic just because I know that if you eat an even slightly balanced diet you just wee out the vitamins. I thought that the idea behind the packs was that they gave you all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that you needed so you could just live off the packs (although I use the term living very loosely hehe) I found that I felt quite energised when I was on the packs fully but when I half and halved I was shattered all the time.

Think about what your body has been through in the last few months. I'm sure the gain is because it's not sure if it's coming or going. I bet you have had zero glycogen stores and are just replenishing them which isn't fat at all. Have you thought of measuring rather than weighing. Or even reducing to every other day? When I am on a VCLD I am obsessed with the scales. I need to prove to myself that the hell I am putting myself through is worth it. But now you are low carbing maybe as your diet is different your way of measuring needs to be different too.

If you started working out really hard... You would see a gain... That doesn't mean oh crap the exercise is making me fat it means that your body is getting healthier. You wouldn't stop exercise for one or two lbs of water weight along the road so why would you put yourself back on a diet which seems (at the moment) to make you unhappy.

You are doing so so amazingly well and we are all so proud of you! We will stand by you what ever choice you make but give your body a chance to get used to its new regime.

Sorry for being a preach.. I am off the wagon more often than I'm on it I just hate to see you so frustrated with yourself when you're doing great!!

Morning B,

Unlike the others (Kate!) I'm not a vitamin skeptic. But, you need to be careful as some vitamins are stored by body and con build up into toxic levels (A for one). However, I don't think vitamins are your issue -- you have lost an incredible amount of weight. I think what Lou wrote here makes a lot of sense.

And you haven't painted yourself into a corner, in a few weeks or something, when you're 'nourished' you can always go back onto packs for another stint to chivvy it along, it's not like you can never go back :D

I actually think that a real sensible way to do vlcd would be in stints of, say, 6 weeks - then refeed, maintain that loss for a month, then another 6 weeks - refeed, maintain....etc then you'd be so much more likely to maintain at the end instead of losing it all in one go then setting yourself loose in McDonalds (I don't mean 'you', I really mean 'me' haha)

Give your new plan a month -- you'll regain your glycogen stores as Kate said --but, then you'd have more energy, better health and be able to add in fitness. As we all know: you can be thin but unhealthy and unfit. Your metabolism has probably slowed so much with day after day of very low calories. Upping your calories and fitness (so your burning some of the extra calories through fitness and then more by boosting your metabolism) you should improve your BMR and be able to return to "stints" of VLCD that work. That said -- people get similar losses on Slimming World, WW, Diet Chef. Jenny Craig, etc. after the first few weeks (as they are not ketogenic) and people of Atkins can do comparably well as a VLCD.

You've been ill a lot -- you need to listen to your body. You can take your time to lose this last couple of stones.

Just my two cents' on this. (((((HUGS)))))

Last edited:
Consider holding on or doing a half and half. I went from 86.8 to 87.8 in my first week of eating and then nothing for a few days but this morning back to 86.8 and I know I look different and people at work have noticed a shift today without any prompting. I had packs in the day but went out and had lamb and mash last night and a glass of wine and a really good laugh so I wonder if the freaking out and stress had made me hold on. I know what you are saying about the amount you have to lose but I'm thinking if I lose half a pound a week and it takes me a year. I think Lou has something in the 6 weeks and stabilising, although we all know how long it can take to get back on.

I trained as a nutritionist and these are my thoughts on the supplements. With the provisos that Mel gives about the vitamin A most of us need more than the RDA levels that are in the packs and if we are doing half and half then we definitely need to supplement I think. You pretty much get what you pay for in terms of quality - it's to do with more expensive but more 'available to the body' forms of each nutrient. I would recommend Biocare, Lamberts, Nutri and also Higher Nature is good and quite user friendly in terms of information. I personally use these but you may also find these useful as a multi/hormone balancer in one. Check the cautions on the website if you do try them. I haven't used that supplier because I order direct but it looks quite reasonable and the prices are comparable to basic Holland and Barrett RDA ones although OH uses these and has gone from loads of colds to hardly any in a short space of time and had a lot more energy. Hope that's not too much information for a simple question.

Morning...

had fun at the farm, yes :)

I placed my order for packs yesterday. Its coming today. Im going to have soup soup soup til its gone (or til Monday, whichever comes first) and then go back on packs. Im going to ease back on doing 3 packs and a quorn meal in the evening with 100g veg. I will seee how I go on that for a few days...if that works...great, I will stick with it. If not I will drop the meal and add another pack.

Im going to have a hell of a time not just starting back on packs TODAY when they get here...but I know that I need at least these few days' break.

So, the farm was soooo fun. Its out in the wilds of Northumberland so was windy and cold. But we all enjoyed it so much. Tabby got to bottle feed a lamb and we had a picnic in a barn, there were trampolines and bouncy castles and soft play and shows (a magic show, a crreepy beastie show etc) and there were loads of animals, including meercats. OMG and...the woman ahead of us in the queue to get in turned back to us and the rest of the queue and said "if anyone has these printed off *waves a printed pieces of paper*, you have to have them filled out before you get up there..." so my friend M goes "I dont have anything printed, do you?" and i said no. lol. So the woman heard and she said "oh its a money off voucher, you could print it from the website". So we both said we hadnt seen it and didnt have one. Oh well. lol. And the lady goes "oh i have an extra one, do you want it?" So we said thank you very much and YES hahah. We were 2 adults and 5 kids. It turned out it was for 1 free child with a paying adult. So since Zoe was under 2 and free, M just gave me the voucher and it ended up I just paid for me and tabby went free too. :D score! hahaha

Anyway. Ive just had my coffee and Im going to get some water. And get my pot of soup out and pop on the stove so i dont have to keep taking it out today. lol.

Back