Before and during - so far so good.

i know, how mental is that. shay is amazing and one of the reasons i have probably kept going with my weight loss. his motivation and inspiration in his own weight loss is so amazing. and i'm following his new 'shay-tember' idea by going the gym on saturday mornings.
i normally watch his videos on the weekends, but when i was told in here that i was on it i just had to go and watch it straight away .. i even had to get a computer program, so i could download the video to save it for myself.

i'll have to send him an email one day saying thanks for every thing he does to inspire people.

:D

i know, how mental is that. shay is amazing and one of the reasons i have probably kept going with my weight loss. his motivation and inspiration in his own weight loss is so amazing. and i'm following his new 'shay-tember' idea by going the gym on saturday mornings.
i normally watch his videos on the weekends, but when i was told in here that i was on it i just had to go and watch it straight away .. i even had to get a computer program, so i could download the video to save it for myself.

i'll have to send him an email one day saying thanks for every thing he does to inspire people.

Aw he's great, I'm trying to follow shaytember too :) He's an inspiration alright, his weight loss is just amazing. I stopped watching his videos for a while and I came back and was amazed, he looked so different :O

But don't forget you're inspiring people too :)

Thank you.

I never really think of me as inspiring people, as i'm not doing this for other people i'm doing it for me. but if people see me and it motivates/inspires them to keep going and pushing , that makes me happy.

this 'journey' is hard (i'm not going to lie) it takes really courage to look at yourself, see whats wrong deep down and stand up and say you've finally had enough.

When i got to the end of my rope, i was sick and tired of being fat and i reached out for inspiraion and i found shaycarl on youtube. he was just like me, had enough and wanted to be everything he had dreamed about. nearly two years later, he's where he wants to be, helping others with their 'journey' and i'm getting there with his help and help from the people on here, i'm not there yet (i'm guessing another year for me.) but i will be one day.

i've been on this healthy living now for about 20 months now and have lost around 9 stone 9 lbs (give or take, some up and down gain/loss weeks lately) thats over a third of my old self. i'm thinner now (probably the same weight) then i was in my final year at high school. it took me till i was 29 to finally figure out that i was just putting on a happy go lucky personality, but inside i was actually unhappy. but now i am happy.. it only took me around 20 months, just by eating tasty food i enjoy, drinking water, going the gym about 3 times a week (i really enjoy it) .. i am the same me just in a healthier body ( ok not a fantastic one, but working on it).

if you want to be inspired by me, ok. that will motivate me to carry on.
But i hope that you can look to yourself and be inspired too, look at how far you've come, no matter what you've lost, a half pound, one, three or a stone or ten. look at what you have achieved, how hard you have worked for it.
Think of all the times people have come to you and commented on how well your doing/looking, how many clothes sizes you have gone down or how far you pushed yourself with excersise .. then realise, maybe you are doing the inspiring too.

has it been worth it ? .. learning to cook and cooking from scratch (most nights), giving up all the fast food and sweets i used to be addicted too, not drinking the fizzy drinks that used to give me a great dizzy buzz. pulling muscles in the gym, being knackered after hard sessions, spending money on new clothes because nothing ever fits anymore and the extra wind ( :eek: ). of course it's worth it. i'm improving my life, giving myself back years i wasted being unhealthy. you can't put a price on it.

i wish you good luck with your weight losses, you are doing fantastic. amazing.. keep going, have your ups and downs but just don't quit.. you'll make it one day.

one day at a time, step by step. your worth it too

Malc :D

thanks ciaradaisy

thats so right, if your doing this for you and you know what you want and where you want to get to, you will get there if you keep to the plan as best you can, do a bit of excersise and on those day's were you don't feel like it, remind yourself why you started..

i've not been 100%, 100% of the time, i've had slip ups and full on naughty days.. but i get back on it, when i'm ready.

when i started i knew that it wouldn't take me a few months or even one year, i wanted to lose the weight at a healthy pace (1 - 2 lbs a week), no presure or expectations of whats going to happen. this isn't for now, this is for the rest of my life. and i have to get my head and body out of old habbits, and being more healthier.

i'm giving myself around another year to get to what i would say is a good average weight, probably another 2 stone, but i'm not going to set that goal till xmas (i set yearly goals after xmas, 2 more goals to go and i've done this years goals ;) )
so, a few months to go before i decide how far i'm going to go. but as long as i keep living healthy and chippling away at the weight loss i think i'll continue being happy.

as always to anyone reading this.. good luck with your weight loss, you can do it, your worth it too :D

malc-d :D

I've mentioned in the nsv thread that i went to a family party last night. It was great catching up with family after just over a year of not seeing them. I got alot of comments on how well i've done and how great i looked, so looking thru the photos today i found some of me and i was due to make another weight loss montage pic, so i since i was doing nothing today i made one.

20 month total.jpg

this next pic is a pic of me at my biggest (nov 2010) and the other one was from last night. It works out there is 22 months between the two photos. and i'll be taking another for the two year anniversary aswell as doing another of me wearing my biggest clothes.

20 months side by side.jpg

And on saturday morning i went the gym (trying to go every saturday morning from now on, unless i go on a day out.) and i pushed myself a little bit harder then the last time, this is the longest i have ever run. I don't think i could have gone much further. I now understand what people mean when they talk about hitting the wall, and i'm just not ready to try and push thru it.

IMG_0053.JPG

as always, good luck with your weight loss too, you can do it ;)

Last edited:
On November 17th 2010 i went to a works party and a photo was taken of me, when i saw it i knew i had to change.. this is my two year anniversary. i've posted the same type of pics a year ago so this is nothing more then just an update.

Big suit (year 2).jpgOld jeans (year 2).jpgSide by Side.jpg

it's amazing the difference you can achieve when your minds in the right place. I am in no way saying that in 2 years i have been perfect and 100%, 100% of the time. i've slipped, had naughty times and the odd binge.. but i carried on, pushed through problems and the brick walls life built in the way.
I still have more to go, probably another year ( i haven't set a final goal yet, but no more then 1 1/2 - 2 stone next year.)

I look back on all those times were i felt sad and no good, and i would turn to food for comfort, now i realise i can do anything, maybe not right away but day by day, inch by inch i'll do it, because i can do anything and if you don't believe me... just wait and see ;)

The last few weeks i've been in a bit of a funk, but now seeing these pics, i'm ready to start again, bring it on.

Two years (exact).jpg

Good luck with your journeys too, you can do it ;)

so true ciara, day to day i don't see the change, but when i look at these pics i find it amazing.. i wouldn't have thought there was much difference in the pics from a year ago to know. i think it's mental, but in a good way :)

Well done Malcolm - even if you don't see the day to day change, the overall one is truly amazing.
Like you I kept a photo diary - did it for each stone lost - and when I go back to the first pic now it makes me really happy.
As without that one I would never have started SW.

Keep inspiring us!

Last edited:
Thanks

even tho that first pic used to really upset me, looking at it now makes me smile as i can see how far i have come. i still remember how sad i felt being that big, but you can't compare that with how good i feel now.. nothing will make me go back to that again.

.. nothing will make me go back to that again.

Brilliant attitude!!!!!
I've seen too many people come and go on Minis who slowly gain the weight because they just go back to eating how they did before.
Maintenance is tricky - I can tell you. But once you get your head round the subtle changes you need to make it really does work.
SW is for life - it ain't just "a diet" to help you lose the weight. Corny but true . . . it is a healthy eating plan that lets you stay at traget too.

Thanks..

i do feel sorry for people that leave either because they arn't losing enough or quick enough or decide to go it alone.. i don't think this is a quick fix, going into it, i knew that it would be a few years till i got to a healthier weight, and that i'd have to keep on it for the rest of my life.. but i wish everyone good luck with thier weight loss, and i hope they hit their target and are happier.

i'm saying it'll be another year (xmas 2013) till i get close to a healthy weight for me, but no rush.. rome wasn't built in a day etc. etc.

one day at a time :D

x

Hi,

It's been a while since I posted last so I thought since it was the last day of2012 I’d make one last post before the new year starts.

I would like to thank everyone who commented on my pictures and posts on here, as well as on other threads for motivating and inspiring me to continue with this healthy living plan. For two years I have made a life changing choice to become healthier and fitter.

2012 has been a very strange year for me; I started the year believing that this would be my best year ever and that is how it started, I was focused with my weight loss having lost 7 stone the year before (98lbs or44kg) I knew that I could do it. Knowing, that I would maybe lose 3½ at most.

At my last weigh in I achieved just 2 lbs under that, mytotal weight loss to date is 10 stone 5 lbs (145lbs or 65kg); in this next year I can see it being the same again, maybe half of that loss. By Christmas 2013, I will have hopefully have lost another 1½ stone and toned up my sagging skin.

I am hoping that due to Christmas and new years and the gym being closed for a few weeks that I haven’t put any weight on. Not that I can see that being a problem as for the last two months I have maintained my current weight.

I’ve said it on here, to family and to the people at work that have asked me about weight loss; that it starts in the mind.

* 45% Mental work
* 30% Diet
* 25% Exercise

Your head needs to be in the right place for the other pieces to work, if you can believe you can lose the weight that’s the first major step in achieving that goal.

Unfortunately for me, these last few months have been the hardest for me mentally; at the end of October I had a bit of a scare when I found a lump whilst showering. Panicked and quite frankly in fear I went to a G.P in the hospital who told me not to panic and to see my regular G.P to see what he says; I got an appointment for the following week to get it checked out. The next week in work was horrible, even though I was told not to panic and that it was probably nothing, I still did. I was having thoughts about what would happen to my family if it did turn out to be serious.

Needless to say, my healthy eating and exercise to a backseat at this time. Seeing my G.P was the hardest thing I have had to do in my life, the fear was overwhelming but thankfully my dad was sat there with me,trying to make a joke about random stuff.

Benign. A word that will stay with me my whole life, if emotions weighed anything I believe I would have lost a few stone sat in that doctors office alone. The deepest relief flooded over me, I was going to be fine. He told me I did the right thing and gone to see him, some men in that position just chooses to ignore it.

You would think that after all this, I would be back onthe weight loss wagon again, but I couldn’t get back on. I kept thinking about how this is the healthiest I have ever been and there is a scare like that and all I could think about was my family and living. At the same time for years I ate nothing but fast food, gained huge amount of weight and knew, knew that at anytime I could drop dead of a heart attack and I didn’t give a damn.

A lot more than just my clothes size has changed over these last two years, I have changed as a person as well. And I hope that in the next year and beyond I change even further. I am actually happy about who I am and how I look. I look back and wonder why I didn’t do this five years, 10 years ago.

My weight had held me back for more than half my life,never again. This new year will not be a new me it will be a better me, healthier, fitter and mentally stronger; I’ve needed the last few months to figure things out and now I’ve done that, I sit here wanting to get the holidays out of the way, and start again with a whole new year.

Besides the problems above, last year I achieved everyone of the goals I set myself, and 2013 is no different; I have set myself some even bigger goals for next year and I will achieve them.

I am going to:

* Complete a marathon on the cross trainer.
* Run a real 5k and 10k road race.
* 100 pushups and 25 pull ups.
* I’d love to be in medium t-shirts and size 32”/34” pants.

I know, it sounds crazy and I am probably pushing my goals this year. But I will get to every one of them. Maybe? (The pull up is looking a little dodgy at the moment)

As always, I wish you all luck with your weight loss, Iknow you can do it. I’ve been there myself; I know what it’s like. And if I can do it, you can too.

Believe in yourself and you will get there in the end, take each day as it comes.

A happy New Year to all and here’s hoping 2013 is a good year for everyone.

I wish you all health, wealth and happiness for the coming year :) x

Two years (exact).jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant, brilliant post Malc. The only thing I would disagree with is

I’ve said it on here, to family and to the people at work that have asked me about weight loss; that it starts in the mind.

* 45% Mental work
* 30% Diet
* 25% Exercise

People say that getting your head round losing weight is half the battle - which is sort of what I think you are saying.
I actually think it's more than that.
GETTING YOUR HEAD ROUND LOSING WEIGHT IS THE WHOLE BATTLE.

If you're head isn't in the right place you might start the diet and the exercise plan but you'll soon drop off the wagon.
You have to WANT to lose weight - not just need to.

As I said earlier, there are so many people on Minis that lose 5 or 6 stone, just to see them back again 12 months later as they've put it all back on. Usually because they never really got their head around things in the first place and couldn't keep it there afterwards.

You have done so well over that last 2 years to have lost in excess of 10 stones. And I don't see any reason why in 2013 there will be any reason why you won't achieve those goals . . . except the chin ups one! They will get easier the smaller you get (less weight to lift up and down :D) but I reckon you either have the technique or you don't . . . not to mention the triceps! My hubs has never managed a single one in his life as he just cannot work out how to do them! And he's a skinny fit bloke!

Good luck Malc and have a great 2013

Thanks hun, happy new years

yeah, I was going for the 'half battle thing' haha, never mind ;) . but, I agree getting your head in right place is the most important thing ;)

and I do agree that the pull ups will be next to impossible, but it's something i'm going to work for, and if I don't finish one of my goals in 2013, i'll do it in 2014, 15, 16 and so on.. but i will do it eventually. And any goals I do finish, i'll replace with new ones or increase the level.

It's one of those 'i'll never quit unless i stop trying' things..

besides I have other things i'm trying aswell.

i've got resistance bands to use when sat at my computer
an 'easy shaper' (looks like a long pole with resistance bands on the end) which i'm using to work out my arms
a powerball for wrists and forearms and also hand grips

I spend alot of time sat at my computer so I thought if there was anything I could do whilst sat there would be great.. every little helps ;)
Back to the gym tomorrow, can't wait to get back into it. And I wonder how many people are going to be joining up for their new years resolution ?

Here's to a healthy new years :D x

Back