Ben's Big Battle with Junk Food

Awww, sorry you are unwell. Fingers crossed on the visa. It moce along... it is not like you're a convicted felon. (Or is it?)

I hope you have a good day at work.

MM

THere are a finite number of H-1B visas per year and the quota has been reached already. :(

Bummer -- I hope something works out.

MM

I think it might Minnie... just got an email today saying something good had just happened and that he'd contact me next week. I'm hopeful. I'll definitely get there, just don't know when for sure! :)
x

Really hungry today! Need to take my mind off it...

... which means I'm going to have to put some great dancing music on and tidy the house! :( Boo!

Right. I don't really know what's inspired me to do this, but I thought that it's been so long since I've done a long, rambling post, that it was time to do one. Just really fancy getting some things off my chest? This may stem from being totally alone today as all my housemates are away (lucky devils) or the fact that I see so many new people starting out here that I forget how far I've actually come.

I am now 58 pounds lighter than I started. I can't actually believe this. Over 4 stone is gone. Hopefully forever, I know the hardest bit will be maintaining, but I'm planning on staying here. But I digress.

Isn't it amazing, that no matter how much weight I can see I've lost, I always focus on the horrible bits. I always see my flabby belly and that little bit of skin under my chin that looks like a turkey! I never knew I actually had a jaw line until I started this weight loss journey. Now I have one, it's ace. I suppose I need to 'work-out' my jaw (so to speak, eww) to get rid of the flabby bits.

One thing that hasn't changed is my loathing of shopping. I really don't like it. It's worse now, because I actually have to try things on to make sure they fit, not because they're too small, but because they're too big. I still instinctively go for the 'XL', and then have to remind myself I'm not obese any more. Even the 'large' tops I've bought are too big for me, which I forget until I put them on at home and they just don't sit right. They make me look bigger.

I've now lost 10 inches off my waist. I not only successfully got into 32" jeans, but they looked good. I can now start to look at different shaped jeans. I always went for bootcut because they were most flattering. I still prefer this cut, but it's not essential now. Unsurprisingly, in more formal fitted trousers I'm bigger as there is less 'give' in them. I am currently in 36" formal trousers, but they are baggy. The 34" were just too small to wear, but this was a few weeks ago, so they could be fine now. But I can't afford to keep buying new clothes, no matter how much I'd love to. I have definitely noticed myself trying to look better and more presentable when I'm going out, so losing weight has definitely effected myself esteem for the better.

So this is the first weekend I've had free for ages. I play for a very successful brass band and it was the big area competition last week. For those that are interested, brass bands are set up like football leagues, we have the Championship, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th divisions. I currently play with Brighouse and Rastrick band that are based in West Yorkshire. We're currently 7th in the world, but the next rankings will probably push up to 4th. They're a very classy outfit. The best competition is the National Finals in London at the Royal Albert Hall in October. To get to this competition there are qualifiers in March in the 6 areas around the UK. B+R compete in the Yorkshire areas, considered to be the best and hardest to compete in. Last March 2010, B+R won the area qualifiers, then went onto win the National Finals in London, thus earning a free pass to the next year's National Finals, however we still had to compete at the Areas in 2011. Well, we didn't rehearse too much as it wasn't that important, and we still managed to win the competition, beating some serious rivals. We got a 5 minute standing ovation after our performance. It was amazing. Brass Bands get a bad rap, but until you hear a really good one, or play in a really good one you'll never truly know.

So they've qualified for London 2011, but I'm not going to be with them. Because I start a new job before October, in New York. Oh yea, baby! There are numerous issues with this job, mainly to do with the Department of Labo(u)r and Immigration and Customs, but the school love me and I love the school and I can't wait to start. It will happen and I can't wait. It's a world away of where my true training lies (in 11-16year old Music teaching), as I'll be teaching American Pupils from 5years old to 14 years old, but I tend to land on my feet and I'll survive on enthusiasm until I can sort myself out. The previous teacher is very good at what he does, but I need to sort out the teaching to my style, even though I don't need lesson plans, I still want them. So my first year will be file/plastic wallet -tastic.

So. Where does my weight fit into all of this?
I want to be skinny for summer. I'm planning on going back to summer camp. For the last 2 years at camp I've been obese. With a BMI of at least 35. It wasn't so bad last year as I was sharing with another counsellor who was 30 stone and smelt, it took the onus off me. But the year before that I was with 3 HUNKY australians, one was a lifeguard, one worked in the gym and the other was a flustered director and then there was fat old me. Not going to happen this year. I'm now at a BMI of 27.4, and will get to 'normal'. If I look to thin then I will put some on, as after all, BMI is but a number!

Right, that's a good enough rant for today. I've had the pleasure of having Astor Piazolla playing in the background whilst writing this. Having had to teach it at GCSE, tango is actually a lovely relaxing music to listen to. Tomorrow will be a day of rest, might pop to town to break up the day but after getting tonsillitis this week and being on anti-biotics for a week, it would be silly to do anything strenuous. Especially, as I think my blood pressure is really low at the moment - every time I get up really quickly or do anything active, I go dizzy and light headed. Think it's just the tablets and lack of sleep!

You guys have made my journey so much easier, and you'll never get rid of me! :)

B x

Great Post -- Can't wait to learn what the good news is. Ben, try to think of how with the younger children you could inspire them to start their journey towards becoming a musician, whereas with older kids -- they probably have alread made the choice or are being forced by a parent to play. Give your loose skin some time -- it does (esp. if you're young) usually tighten up with time.

MM

Under this week by about 20 points and went for a 7 mile walk today.

Really hoping to lose 3lbs tomorrow to get my 4stone 7lbs award! :)
x

Fingers crossed the scale will show the number you're expecting;)

Well done on the walk :)

Hi Ben,

I saw the "Shout Box" about your walk.... impressive. Was it a nice day out? It was kind of gloomy here today.

Good luck on your weigh in!

MM

Me and my friend are doing the Manchester Shine Walk for Life on the 1st of May.
It's a 26 mile walk, so we started with 5 last week, 7 this week, 10 next week, building it up in stages.

We've found a lovely river to walk down, which doesn't feel like scummy Manchester, but lovely rural countryside! :)

26 mile walk??? wow, that's a lot.

Good luck with your trains, it's nice that you found a nice place to train for it ;)

Yeah! There's the option of 13 or 26, so me and my friend can choose on the day. It doesn't start til 9pm, so it could be as late as 7am when we finish. It'll all be worth it in the end though. Plus, I get to spend time with a friend I haven't seen too much, which is great! :D

Hi, I have noticed you have really good & consistent losses and was wondering if you could give me some advice? I used to be on Discover, but have switched to the new Pro Points diet, I tend not to lose more than 1lb/1.5lbs a week, but have a lot of STS weeks. Have you always done exercise whilst on WW? I didn't used to but now that I have started, I actually had a gain this week! I wold like to just see the scale start moving and get under 14 stone once & for all and under 200lbs! Thanks in advance & congrats on your amazing loss so far! :)

Updated picture from BBQ on Friday :)

Attachments

• 196839_10150133458390857_507945856_7222914_5934461_n.jpg
    196839_10150133458390857_507945856_7222914_5934461_n.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 45
Hi, I have noticed you have really good & consistent losses and was wondering if you could give me some advice? I used to be on Discover, but have switched to the new Pro Points diet, I tend not to lose more than 1lb/1.5lbs a week, but have a lot of STS weeks. Have you always done exercise whilst on WW? I didn't used to but now that I have started, I actually had a gain this week! I wold like to just see the scale start moving and get under 14 stone once & for all and under 200lbs! Thanks in advance & congrats on your amazing loss so far! :)

Such a lovely post. Will reply when I have enough time tonight/tomorrow to reply thoughtfully :)
x

You look healthy and happy in the above picture:)

Keep up the good work Ben ;)

Hi Ben,

Did you wear the red shirt for me? It's one of my favourite colours -- and it suits you.

You look great. I hope that things are going along well for the visa, job, etc. And the current job.

Keep us updated when you have time.

MM

Teaching job finished on Thursday. So have managed to get another temporary job at Wetherspoons in the Kitchen. Only worked there 2 days but already done 17 hours! Another 10 to go.

Actually, working in the kitchen, the last thing I want to do is eat. Yesterday I had 10 points left, and today I've got 12.5 left. I'm just not hungry - just tired!

Can't wait until the big move in June though. Don't like the job really!

Back