Best Diet for Underactive thyroid? Really struggling.

Tessieg1

Silver Member
Hello everyone,
I need some advice, please. I'm desperate to lose weight, but I've been struggling for the last two - three years. I have an underactive thyroid and am on thyroxine. The doctors are struggling to get my dosage correct and keep changing it every year. Is there anyone who could give me some advice on what diet is best for people with underactive thyroids please? I would be really grateful.

thanks in advance.
Tessieg1

I think the best thing would be to consult your GP, or if there is a dietician in the practice ask for an appointment with them x

Tessieg1 said:
Hello everyone,
I need some advice, please. I'm desperate to lose weight, but I've been struggling for the last two - three years. I have an underactive thyroid and am on thyroxine. The doctors are struggling to get my dosage correct and keep changing it every year. Is there anyone who could give me some advice on what diet is best for people with underactive thyroids please? I would be really grateful.

thanks in advance.
Tessieg1

If you find out let me know!
I do know that green veg like Brussels and cabbage should be avoided, x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi Tessieg and ZestforLife, I was only diagnosed last year (what a relief to find out there was a reason behind the weight gain, tiredness, etc.!) and am still having my levels readjusted.

I found Slimming World to be the best, because I could eat as much as I wanted of many foods - which is all I want to do on a bad day.. I'd tried various other diets but just couldn't stay motivated so fell off the wagon.
I went to the weigh-ins, but am restarting it again alone tomorrow to try and shift the last stone and a half.

Exercise really helps me get the energy levels back up, just need that initial kick to get going!
Hope this helps, it really is a horrible ailment but weight loss is possible
:)

With something specific like that I think finding a professional dietician would probably be your best bet. they can help you make sure you're not hurting yourself by being on the wrong diet, and they'll probably be a good influence on continuing with it.

Im on 200mg of levthyroxine a day i joined slimming world 3 weeks ago and im already 1lb away from loosing my first stone i would defo give it a try xx

I had thyoid cancer and had my thryoid cut out so I have to take my tablets for the rest of my life and to this day they can not get my TSH right. As a cancer patient they are supposed to make the TSH level much lower than a regular person ie more Levothyroxine to keep thyroid levels higher than the usual person. When I had my radiation I had to come off them completely hypo hell as we call it, eat this werid diet for 2 weeks, worst time ever combined with my PCOS miserable. I was not dieting then as it was too dangerous but not only does it affect your weight but your mood too when your levels are not right so it does not help physically or mentally. So my thoughts are with all you others struggling with our weights and TSH levels.
I do not know if this is just for cancer patients or thryoid issues in general but a fair few meal replacement ones are not ok for me according to my doctor. I am losing weight with simply calorie counting (and lowering fat levels) and exercise. Nothing drastic but its working. My other advice is make sure your getting all your nutrients, I take a multivitamin as I am probably not getting everything I need. Good luck and sympathies to all the others going through this horrible thing.

Hey

I was diagnosed 8 years ago with hypothyroidism. It takes years to get levels right in some cases, mine being one of them. I had put two stone on in a year and had no idea why. I had been going to the doctors for years with stomach problems, period problems, not being able to sleep and generally feeling low!

I am currently on 150msg dosage daily and I am awaiting results from my most current blood test. I think my levels are still out of whack as not sleeping again and my moods are everywhere!

I started Slimming World last Sunday and have lost 4lb in my first week. Not sure how it's going to go over next few weeks, as they say to mix the red and green days up, but I can't eat starchy produce due to my bad stomach! But so far it's looking good!!

Hope you find the right plan for you hunni. Hope your levels settle so you can enjoy a great loss over the coming weeks.

x

Back