Best Tips For The Biggest WillPower

rusticblonde

Hi guys!
Im very new to slimming world.... i needed to start this for my own sanity and health!
I am 18st just over which is the highest i have ever been in my life.... looking at myself in the mirror has become such a chore and a fascination to try and at times think myself thin!
It hasnt happened... so here i am! Ive heard such good things about this diet and how it works for so many different people!

So i am asking for tips guys!! What do you do to keep yourself on the straight and narrow?? To stop yourself from going off the path!??!
For the 1st day i dont think i have done too bad (read my diary)

This is a personal one for me as its my wedding to my beautiful partner in 2 years time... so need to be slim to wear the wedding dress of my dreams

Look forward to hearing and sharing your tips and advice... as i need it! :)

Kirsty xx:rolleyes:

I wish you could buy will power over the counter, it would solve soo many problems in the world;) I guess you have to just set yourself mini goals and have a very good reason to carry on, which indeed you have (congrats by the way) Imagine yourself looking stunning in that beautiful dress of your dreams, keep that thought firmly placed in your mind. Pop a pic of the dress on your fridge, bikkie cupboard door and every time you feel the need to eat or want something nice, just go for free foods or a healthier option of a treat and count it all, don't get a selective memory ad you are only kidding yourself in the end:)

Also support from your partner, family and friends will really help see you through when you are struggling, plus there is always us, we are all in it together and hopefully in a few months time, we will start seeing the fruits of our labour:cool:

Good luck xx

Hi Kirsty,

For me, the key with SW is being organised. I work out a meal plan once a week and make sure everything I need goes on the shopping list. If I don't this this, it can feel like too much effort to work out a dinner and the temptation to pick on snacks is too tempting. So I would say really make the time to decide what you want to eat rather than waiting until you are starving before trying to decide what is for dinner!

Another good tip is to make sure you have a good supply of free food snacks available in the house for times when you are hungry. When we shop, I make sure I buy lots of fruit and mullerlite yoghurts to eat when I need them. More substantial snacks like pasta 'n' sauce sachets or couscous are also good to buy for times when a piece of fruit isn't enough.

We all have times when the desire to stuff down chocolate and cakes becomes overwhelming. For me, the best tip I can offer is to make sure you write down what syns you are consuming as soon as you eat them. Seeing the number of syns in black and white in front of you is a tremendously good tool - I find looking at that number keeps me in control, as I acknowledge what I've eaten and know the number is going to keep going up if I succomb to a binge.

Good luck, SW is a great diet and you have a wonderful incentive. I started at 17st 5lb's, not much less than you, so totally understand where you are coming from. Stick with this forum, it is great :)

Hi Rustic, congrats on your engagement!

I've never been too good with will power myself and tend to dive into things and be consumed by a concept for a couple of weeks and then interest starts to fade. This is the second time I've tried SW but I've hopefully put a few things in place to keep up the momentum this time (because it does work!).

Firstly, last time I joined online so didn't benefit from the support of the group, or the weekly meeting/weigh-in to keep me focused on a regular basis. Hearing about the weekly success of others has been really inspirational, and even when people have a bad week I genuinely will them to not worry, draw a line under it, and get back on track - so if I feel that way about others I can feel it for myself too. Secondly, I've set myself mini targets which is really spurring me on at the moment (my biggest problem is wine, so now everytime I don't buy wine I put the money I would have spent in a money box, and every time I lose a stone I'm going to spend it!!). And thirdly, as already said, planning really helps. I work fulltime so I make sure I make a really yummy packed lunch everday so I don't have to battle temptations in cafes when I'm hungry - this definitely works best when you have a fridge full of fresh food rather than scraping about in the salad draw for a squidy tomato and thinking "this will have to do" :jelous:

I'll admit that this is only my 4th week but I'm still really revved up enthusiastic about sticking to the plan so I think it's working. I've certainly had the odd 'flexi' day, but initially they just 'happened' whereas now I plan for them and allow them (e.g. rather than just randomly falling off the wagon, I make a date with myself that allows me to be a bit indulgent for special occasions such as birthdays). This tends to keep me positive on the days inbetween and stop me feeling guilty when it happens and thinking I've failed.

Another thing I've found is that once I grasped the plan and did it for a while my natural patterns tended to change and reaching for the fruit has become second nature now. That happened before when I did it online, and despite not sticking to the plan in the longterm I found that for several months afterwards the idea of 'free foods' was still in my mind and my eating was naturally healthier without me having to think about it too much.

Good luck, stay on the forum because it's GREAT for support and clarity, and drink lots of water :p

Hi guys

Thankyou very much for all the words of encouagement and support.

It means alot to know that there is sooo many people in the same boat as me!!

Congratulations on your engagement!

Having something to aim for really helps boost your motivation. For me, it was my 10th wedding anniversary, as I hated my wedding photos because I was so big at the time (and I got bigger before I actually did something about it!) - so I decided I wasnt going to spend the next ten years in the same state as the last ten and used my anniversary as a motivational goal date. I called target the day before, a lb short of where I had intended to be, and have since lost a further stone.

My best tip would be, keep things shaken up. Your body over time can get used to the same old thing, so vary your recipes, once you get the hang of the extra easy plan, experiment with red or green days and throw your body the odd curve ball here and there to keep it on it's toes. Drink plenty of fluid (water and no-added-sugar squash, or diet pop) and dont be afraid to try new things. There is a wealth of SW friendly recipes here and dotted around the internet and planning your menu and having interesting and varied foods is crucial to keeping your mind on the plan.

It may help you to know that 18 months ago, I was a little over 19 stone. I lost the first 2 1/2 by myself and then when I felt my motivation beginning to go, I started at SW. I've been maintaining at my current weight for about 4 months now. So it is more than do-able in your available time.

Congratulations on your engagement!

Having something to aim for really helps boost your motivation. For me, it was my 10th wedding anniversary, as I hated my wedding photos because I was so big at the time (and I got bigger before I actually did something about it!) - so I decided I wasnt going to spend the next ten years in the same state as the last ten and used my anniversary as a motivational goal date. I called target the day before, a lb short of where I had intended to be, and have since lost a further stone.

My best tip would be, keep things shaken up. Your body over time can get used to the same old thing, so vary your recipes, once you get the hang of the extra easy plan, experiment with red or green days and throw your body the odd curve ball here and there to keep it on it's toes. Drink plenty of fluid (water and no-added-sugar squash, or diet pop) and dont be afraid to try new things. There is a wealth of SW friendly recipes here and dotted around the internet and planning your menu and having interesting and varied foods is crucial to keeping your mind on the plan.

It may help you to know that 18 months ago, I was a little over 19 stone. I lost the first 2 1/2 by myself and then when I felt my motivation beginning to go, I started at SW. I've been maintaining at my current weight for about 4 months now. So it is more than do-able in your available time.

Wow.

thankyou for this! That is amazing to know!! Im so happy for the support the forum has so gave me!
Its such an inspiration to know that you have been near my weight before and managed to get it off! I have just gotta keep myself above water and get on with it!

Thankyou for this xxx

Hi Kirsty!

I think the biggest thing with sw is realising it's not a diet you are not deprived you are making lifestyle changes an you cAn live and loose weight and eat yummy foods!!

Planning and knowing syn values before you eat!!
Writing it all down really helps even this far in!!!

Spicing your food up try new foods!! Variety is the spice of life after all lol

Kirsty x

I agree withe everyone about the planning, plan for the days/weeks ahead and the unexpected if you can!
Also getting plenty of support from where you can often weight problems can stem from other problems and they may need working on to help find the will power etc
I used to think I didn't have any will power but I have managed to find enough to lose over 9 stone but it has taken a lot of hard work and support from others.
Good luck with finding yours xxx

Everyone has given you loads of advice already - but my little snippet is that you have to WANT it.

I mean really WANT to lose the weight...i had ummed and arrred for ages before i made the total commitment to losing weight.

It was hard and it hard every day - but now i have lose quite a bit, i know i can keep going.

Good luck - from one bride to be, to another! xxx

I have a picture of me at my biggest on my phone.

Also my consultant brough 2lb of fat to a class once, it was unbelievable! Everyone screamed in horror when she dropped it and it bounced! She said we could borrow it but I took a picture instead. It was good when you only lost a pound but could imagine it physically

thanks guys!! :)

The thing that has really helped me is having loads of free and superfree food around so I have no excuse when I am hungry.
Lots of salad, berries, mullers, sugar free jellies, eggs and cold cooked meats in the fridge, loads of fruit in the kitchen dotted about. Freezer full of fish, meat, frozen veg and left over meals that I have made and frozen in case I need something in a hurry. Tin cupboard full of beans, peas, tuna, sardines and tomatoes, lots of dried pasta in jars, lots of herbs, spices and stock cubes. Try and cook at least one SW meal, be it a bolognese, chilli or casserole that you can divide up and freeze. Good luck with your journey. :)

I dont really have any advice for you but wanted to say thanks for asking the question! Reading the advice that everyone else has given you I think will help me too.

I lost 2stone (started at 17st 2lb) and have over the past month put nearly half a stone back on. Lost motivation has been the main cause but also looking at the advice you have got, lack of planning has also not helped. If I plan ahead my meals for the week then I am more likely to stick to it and also not pick up the wrong things when doing the shopping.

Tonight's task - meal plan for the week!

my tip is, if by any chance you have a bad day, hour, minute, dont give up, jump straight back on the plan, and make sure you write everything down.
the best tip is that i can offer, make sure you come on here often.

Back