best way to cook rice ?????

Rinse it really well in a sieve then put in a pan. Add double the amount of water in ml to the g. E.g. If you're cooking 100g of rice cover with 200ml of water. Put a lid on it (it doesn't work as well without a lid as too much moisture gets out), bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 10 mins. That's what BBC good food say, they say for basmati rice and that's all I ever use, I don't know how well it would work for different kinds of rice but it gets perfect rice with basmati :)

Last edited:
I'm not trying to toot my own horn but, my rice is legendary.
(tooting over)
This is how I do it.
Wash rice in water until water runs clear, leave rice in water for as long as you have (5 mins to 12 hrs!)
Drain last water, don't worry if its still wet, add salt and seasoning if you want (for Indian rice I would add 2 cardamom pods and 1/2 tsp of turmeric here, for normal rice, 1/2 a stock cube).
Put it on the stove on a high heat, pour boiling water in until about 1.5 cm above the rice (this is the difficult part as you need to eyeball it and it depends how much rice you are cooking).
Stir and let it boil hard for 5 mins, then put the lid on, turn off the heat and quickly wrap a big tea towel around the lid of the pot.
Leave it for about 35 mins. Check it.* Fluff up with a fork and serve.
*If its too wet, replace lid, turn on heat for two mins and leave for 5, check again.

Once you have the hang of eyeballing the amount of water you need its really easy and rice turns out light fluffy and delicious every time!

Back